Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Just read the thread from the start.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR-JR:
Looking hard at one of these for decap and bullet sizing. Will someone message me when you have completed the engineering for Lee and it's good to go?
Just read the thread from the start.

I have been, sounds like y'all are getting close. 😎
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

When you buy the APP Deluxe, make sure to also buy the Universal case feeder and collator at the same time. They are the 4 tube mechanism and funnel. Both those are about $35 extra. Those really are what makes the APP worthwhile.

I've put about 20k cases through the APP so far. Haven't tried 308, 300blk yet, but have decapped 9mm, 40SW, 45acp, 38/357, 556 and 7.62x39. After running dirty cases through it, just pull the collator and tubes off the press and wash them in the sink with degreaser soap/water. I use degreaser to remove the lanolin/lube along with the dirt. Very easy to maintain.

The original purpose was to decap only, but I've also sized 9mm, 40SW and 45acp, then bulge bust with it. Limited use bulge busting 9mm with a Mak die... another story.  

I use Lee's bench plate to mount it and swap with a single stage press mounted on the same base plate. Just mention this in case space is an issue on your bench.
View Quote

@Blowout

How does the case collator work with rifle cases?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dmac7979:

@Blowout

View Quote

Not so great. #7 in the OP has a link to what someone did to help feed longer cases. I think the rimmed cases helped him with the concept.

I found an aluminum cake pan that nested nicely in the collator, but it didn't help with feeding 223 cases. Actually made it worse. More head scratching to do...  

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dmac7979:

@Blowout

View Quote

I found a collator that somebody sells on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Design-American-Accurate-Collator-for-Lee-PRO-1000-and-Loadmaster-Press/324331921262?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This works well for 223 cases. Have not tried it for other calibers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I almost hate to ask a newbie reloading question, but here goes: what's the purpose or advantage of decapping without resizing? It reads like some of you guys are using the APP only for decapping, is that right?

And keeping directly on topic, I did get my APP and the 4-tube case feeder. I'm currently 3d printing a collator, and waiting on a mounting bracket which should arrive Tuesday.

I will be using solely for 223, at least initially. Hoping to resize/deprime in one swipe. My only disappointment is the Lee swage die kit seems to be sold out everywhere right now, but I got on a bunch of notifications for it and looking forward to that aspect as well. In the meantime I've got enough 2x fired to keep me busy for a while.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TGE:
I almost hate to ask a newbie reloading question, but here goes: what's the purpose or advantage of decapping without resizing? It reads like some of you guys are using the APP only for decapping, is that right?

View Quote

I know I like to run decapped brass through the wet tumbler so the pins clean the primer pockets.

I would like to know if anyone has used the NOE sizing adapter with the APP?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

I know I like to run decapped brass through the wet tumbler so the pins clean the primer pockets.

View Quote

Like a bullet sizer? Or a brass sizer?

I use mine exclusively for bullet sizing. I bought the NOE bushing adapter and I use it for .312, .309, and .356, I still use the Lee sizers as well for the sizes I have, no reason to buy extra sizers if I already had them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Got it, didn't even think of that. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:11:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#10]
Originally Posted By montyw42:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Design-American-Accurate-Collator-for-Lee-PRO-1000-and-Loadmaster-Press/324331921262?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

View Quote

Thanks!  That looks a lot better than the contraption I was working on. I just ordered one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:18:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPolska] [#13]
Originally Posted By boman250:

Like a bullet sizer? Or a brass sizer?

I use mine exclusively for bullet sizing. I bought the NOE bushing adapter and I use it for .312, .309, and .356, I still use the Lee sizers as well for the sizes I have, no reason to buy extra sizers if I already had them.
View Quote

Thanks, boolits, and that is what I needed to know as I also have a hodge podge of both Lee and NOE

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Open Quote to see answers.
View All Quotes

Those of us that wet tumble decap before wet tumbling to get primer pockets sparkling clean.

If you dry tumble no sense to decap as dry tumbling dos not clean primer pockets.

And keeping directly on topic, I did get my APP and the 4-tube case feeder. I'm currently 3d printing a collator, and waiting on a mounting bracket which should arrive Tuesday.

I will be using solely for 223, at least initially. Hoping to resize/deprime in one swipe. My only disappointment is the Lee swage die kit seems to be sold out everywhere right now, but I got on a bunch of notifications for it and looking forward to that aspect as well. In the meantime I've got enough 2x fired to keep me busy for a while.

Open Quote to see answers.
Thank you. I only dry tumble so it just wasn't adding up!

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:15:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#16]
I haven't tried bullet sizing on this yet. It is correct to assume bullet sizing has to be done with just a single feed tube?

Is the universal case feeder unusable for that application or has someone used a smaller sleeve inside the standard tubes?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]
If you keep using the coat hanger wire in the spring you are going to end up breaking the shuttle. Instead there are a couple of things you can use. Take the red plastic straw from a wd40, brake cleaner can and put that in the spring. I did this back when the press first came out. And you can also take a piece of shrink tube and shrink it over the spring to give it a little more stiffness. And one last thing that will help if the shuttle is not pushing in far enough is to take some string or a rubber band and put it through the hole the spring mounts to on the ram. Then cinch it so the spring is over to the left side. This usually fixes all the problems with most feed issues.

And grind a little relief cut in the top of the shuttle so the rim of the case slides over the shuttle easier than a solid ridge like it comes with.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:39:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
If you keep using the coat hanger wire in the spring you are going to end up breaking the shuttle. Instead there are a couple of things you can use. Take the red plastic straw from a wd40, brake cleaner can and put that in the spring. I did this back when the press first came out. And you can also take a piece of shrink tube and shrink it over the spring to give it a little more stiffness. And one last thing that will help if the shuttle is not pushing in far enough is to take some string or a rubber band and put it through the hole the spring mounts to on the ram. Then cinch it so the spring is over to the left side. This usually fixes all the problems with most feed issues.

And grind a little relief cut in the top of the shuttle so the rim of the case slides over the shuttle easier than a solid ridge like it comes with.
View Quote

When getting the 45acp to feed properly, I tried a plastic straw as you suggest, but it didn't work out in my case. The spring would break in the middle so I had to take the next step and use the wire coat hanger. Maybe a solid piece of plastic would work. I've bought extra shuttles in case I snafu one or two. I've run about 2k cases through it since the wire was added and haven't noticed any wear to the attachment loop on the shuttle yet.

I get what your saying about keeping the spring to the left hand side where it attaches to the metal casting. With the wire or whatever used inserted in the spring is at a length of 3.750" (mine is at 3.748" but doubt its that critical), the spring is limited in its movement at that location, but there is still just enough play that binding doesn't occur. At least that was my thought as I tweeked it.

I'd be interested to see what the relief cut looks like if you have a pic.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tommee-boy-72] [#19]
dish out the edge like what the shell holder has. 1/4" long is all it needs. It needs to be just long enough to get it past the next shell above the one still above it in the tube. I noticed that the shell rim sometimes catches on the shuttle and it throws the case in the shuttle across the room just like when the case does not get fully in the shuttle and throws it.

I have over 2 5 gal buckets of 9mm sized and swaged so far. At least 1 5 gal bucket of 556 sized and swaged. over 15K 9mm bullets sized. 3K gas checked and sized. This is what works for me
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
dish out the edge like what the shell holder has. 1/4" long is all it needs. It needs to be just long enough to get it past the next shell above the one still above it in the tube. I noticed that the shell rim sometimes catches on the shuttle and it throws the case in the shuttle across the room just like when the case does not get fully in the shuttle and throws it.

I have over 2 5 gal buckets of 9mm sized and swaged so far. At least 1 5 gal bucket of 556 sized and swaged. over 15K 9mm bullets sized. 3K gas checked and sized. This is what works for me
View Quote

Your referring to modifying the riser that fits on the shuttle, correct? Any chance you could take a pic?

So your sizing 556/223 on the APP? Do you get a consistent shoulder bump?

I've used an M die in the APP to set the neck tension of 223 before seating frangible bullets, but haven't tried sizing with it. I'd be interested in your results if you don't mind sharing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Thanks!  That looks a lot better than the contraption I was working on. I just ordered one.
View All Quotes

I ordered one today, as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Just had surgery one one of my hands so not able to get pics right now. But yes I size 556 on it. You have to use the lanolin mix to do it. If you use other lube it does not work as well. I had several stuck cases in the fl die. Broke 2 pins getting them out. Since switching to lanolin not a single one.

Yes on the risor is what I am talking about. Small dish or slot on the top rear edge of the cup where it actually pushes the case.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Just had surgery one one of my hands so not able to get pics right now. But yes I size 556 on it. You have to use the lanolin mix to do it. If you use other lube it does not work as well. I had several stuck cases in the fl die. Broke 2 pins getting them out. Since switching to lanolin not a single one.

Yes on the risor is what I am talking about. Small dish or slot on the top rear edge of the cup where it actually pushes the case.
View Quote

Wish you the best on your hand and the rehab that's ahead.

I use the lanolin mix for sizing pistol cases and bulge busting on the APP. After sizing there's usually enough on the case I don't have to reapply it.

I've been thinking about 223/556 sizing, but wasn't sure how repeatable the shoulder bump would be. I'll have to do a number of FL sizing and measure variance between APP and a single stage press at some point.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#24]

I use the lanolin mix for sizing pistol cases and bulge busting on the APP. After sizing there's usually enough on the case I don't have to reapply it.

I've been thinking about 223/556 sizing, but wasn't sure how repeatable the shoulder bump would be. I'll have to do a number of FL sizing and measure variance between APP and a single stage press at some point.
View Quote

Are you using the bulge buster kit that is made for the APP?

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-app-bulge-buster

If so, what are your thoughts on it? Does not appear that it can be used for 9mm, but is cheap enough to grab one for 45, 40 etc. I need one that will also do 9mm, so might have to get a Makarov die and the standard bulge buster. Maybe get both?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Are you using the bulge buster kit that is made for the APP?

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-app-bulge-buster

If so, what are your thoughts on it? Does not appear that it can be used for 9mm, but is cheap enough to grab one for 45, 40 etc. I need one that will also do 9mm, so might have to get a Makarov die and the standard bulge buster. Maybe get both?
View Quote

You need/want the longer ram the APP bulge buster kit includes to use the APP. It also includes 3 different bushings (380, 40sw and 45acp) to fill the space where the shell holder would typically fit. Otherwise you need to cobble something up yourself.

The APP ram is long enough to push the case through the die base first so brass can be fed through the collator as usual. Lee says to feed the cases mouth first when bulge busting, but you need to manually fill tubes that way. With 9mm the ram is too large in diameter to fit inside the case and won't push by the case mouth (I've tried).

Lee doesn't sell the ram separately (I've asked them more than once) so another kit would have to be purchased in order to get one and have it turned to a smaller diameter to fit in the 9mm case. I don't think I'd turn the one used for 40SW and 45 because a wider diameter ram will distribute the force over a larger surface at the base of the case. Not sure if it would present a problem, but it Just my thoughts...

I have a Mak die, but have read that the carbon ring will split over time bulge busting 9mm. I always size the case first with a U die, but the rim of the 9mm also gets sized down with the Mak die by a couple thou IIRC.

I don't like filling tubes by hand and really haven't had issues with bulged 9mm so this has been pushed out on my to do list.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#26]

You need/want the longer ram the APP bulge buster kit includes to use the APP. It also includes 3 different bushings (380, 40sw and 45acp) to fill the space where the shell holder would typically fit. Otherwise you need to cobble something up yourself.

The APP ram is long enough to push the case through the die base first so brass can be fed through the collator as usual. Lee says to feed the cases mouth first when bulge busting, but you need to manually fill tubes that way. With 9mm the ram is too large in diameter to fit inside the case and won't push by the case mouth (I've tried).

Lee doesn't sell the ram separately (I've asked them more than once) so another kit would have to be purchased in order to get one and have it turned to a smaller diameter to fit in the 9mm case. I don't think I'd turn the one used for 40SW and 45 because a wider diameter ram will distribute the force over a larger surface at the base of the case. Not sure if it would present a problem, but it Just my thoughts...

I have a Mak die, but have read that the carbon ring will split over time bulge busting 9mm. I always size the case first with a U die, but the rim of the 9mm also gets sized down with the Mak die by a couple thou IIRC.

I don't like filling tubes by hand and really haven't had issues with bulged 9mm so this has been pushed out on my to do list.
View Quote

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I haven't had issues with 9mm yet either but have been reloading my own brass. But just bought a bunch of range pickup 9mm brass and thought I might have some problems with them. Will wait to see how those work out before I do anything. Think I will get a kit for 45acp as I have had some issues with some of them not dropping out of my case gauge.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I swaged some Winchester 9mm cases today. Tried using the black Ebay collator on them. Found that they tended to hang up on the stainless steel insert inside the collator. This insert is for smaller pistol brass. Ended up switching back to the red Lee collator.

Was hoping the Ebay model would work well for rifle and pistol brass but that does not seem to be the case. Might be able to modify the black collator to work better with pistol brass. Maybe try using masking or duct tape to cover the ledge where they were hanging up. Did not try that but might next time I have some 9mm brass to process. I just picked up an XL750 so will be using that to process 9mm if I can ever find a case conversion kit. Will still use the APP for swaging 9mm though. Did not have much success with swaging 5.56 on the APP when I tried it but will revisit that if I get anymore that needs swaging. I heard somewhere that the government is no longer selling brass for reloading. Supposedly making bidders sign a form that all brass is to be sold for scrap and not reloading. So once fired LC brass may be a thing of the past.  

If True.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:16:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#28]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I found this article about it. Looks like it was the case for a short time, then there was pushback, and they rescinded the order.

https://www.louisianasportsman.com/hunting/dod-changes-course-on-military-brass-sale/
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Just bought an APP.  Waiting for inline fab quick change plates to mount it and my press.

So having read this thread the question I'm not sure I'm getting is, Can I resize and decap at the same time on this? Can I take my 9mm luger carbide die that I normally use on my Hornady Classic single stage and use it in this to de-prime and resize ?

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#32]
yes, it works just like any other press but has a feeding device for the case
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:34:02 AM EDT
[#34]
And cleaning cases before sizing helps keep your sizing dies clean and less chance of getting scratched from debris that gets picked up with the brass.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#35]
The reason you are seeing so much on decapping is some of us decap dirty cases before we wet tumble them.

This allows the primer pocket to get as clean as the rest of the brass.

I have other presses I load with.
View Quote

I walnut dry tumble.  I have started to rinse everything and then low temp oven dry to clean things up some before decapping/sizing, mainly because of how much dirt gravel is coming home from the range with me.

I have the FA case prep center that I run and clean all the primer pockets "manually".

But looking forward to speeding up the processing compared to doing it all on the single stage
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#37]
Finally got around to trying the new design collator from American Accurate.
Search ebay for: New Design American Accurate Collator for Lee PRO 1000 and Loadmaster Press

First thing I noticed was the quality of the packaging it came in. Nice box. It was well thought out and instructions even written on the outside. Instructions inside the box too. Just tells me this company is putting some effort as a supplier for reloading market. Hope they are planning to expand their offering.

Here's a link to a review on another forum that has comparison pics of the 2 collators side by side: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?287628-American-Accurate-LLC-Case-Collator-for-Lee-case-feeder

I tried each of these rifle calibers to see how they dropped into the tubes:

223 - perfect
300blk - perfect
7.62x39 - perfect
6.8spc - perfect
308 - close to how 223 feeds in the Lee collator. Still a pain, but can't imagine using the Lee collator with 308.  
30-06 - your pretty much hand feeding cases in the tubes. Case is just too long to easily stand up to drop. Kind of like shaking a baby rattle... lots of noise without anything actually happening.

IMHO, this is a nice upgrade if you plan to process a lot of mid-length cases in the APP.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#38]
The Lee one works fine. Just slip the small tubes inside the large tubes and shake away.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Forgive me if this was brought up earlier... tried searching the forum and also went thru all three pages of this thread, but might have missed it...

Anyone having 9mm cases stick to their X-press shellholder?

Santa brought me the APP for Christmas, and thus far I've successfully used it to bulge-bust, resize and expand over 4,000 380s, plus decap around 1,000 9x19.  For those functions, it has performed great.  No hang ups, no long-standing issues with cases feeding once I had it dialed in, etc.  It's been fantastic.

But when I went to start resizing 9x19... the cases get stuck.  Not in the die, as I've been reading other people have issues with... in the shellholder.
It's not because the primer hasn't fully dropped. I can see the primer drop clean.  But the case gets stuck in the shellholder, and I have to press down on it to clear it.  When I press, it "snaps" down.  No amount of force on the shuttle/spring will push the case clear, unless I first "snap" the case down.  I can't even push it off the shellholder with my hand, until I snap it down.
It didn't do this when decapping... it's just doing it on the resize.  Was using a U-die at first, but then tried my standard resize die (both Lee) and it happens with both.

Tried searching elsewhere but came up empty.  Closest thing I could find was a review on the #19 x-press shellholder on Midsouth, where someone stated they were getting stuck cases, and switched to a #6 shellholder instead.
I suppose I could try a #6... but holding off on a future order until a vendor has the roller handle and swager kit in-stock.

Was hoping someone might have suggestion(s).  Slows progress when I have to manually press each case down, and I'm starting to get a permanent/painful circle embedded into my thumb.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#41]
The case deprimes fully.  Primer drops freely into the collection bottle.  But the case sticks/locks to the shellholder.  Wish I knew how to post/host a vid so I could show it.
Didn't happen when resizing 380s.  Just doing it for my 9s, and only during resizing.   Even when I resize cases that have already been deprimed.   It's as if on the up-stroke of the sizing die, it lifts the case up a bit and somehow snags/catches on the shellholder.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#42]
The roller handles are out of stock everywhere I looked, so 3d printed one. Uses a roller bearing at each end, and its running very smoothly.

Also printed the collator. Before I cleaned it up I wanted to make sure it worked, and it does. I'll give it a light sanding later today or tomorrow.

All I've done so far is resize a hundred or so 223 cases. I think I need some tweaking on the case feeder positioning, not every case is dropping in just right. Overall it seems like a great machine though, will get that case feed running and be very happy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#43]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Tried out my 35 cal. gas check maker last night. Works well in the APP. What is nice is you dont have to work around the press to make them. The o-frame presses the front gets in the way. With the open front of the APP it works.

And about the 9mm cases getting stuck. Have you looked to see if it is one brand over another. I remember having problems one time with a European case that the extractor grove was much thinner than regular 9mm made here. It would hardly go into the shell holder. So when that happened I just threw them away.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ShortyBP:
The case deprimes fully.  Primer drops freely into the collection bottle.  But the case sticks/locks to the shellholder.  Wish I knew how to post/host a vid so I could show it.
Didn't happen when resizing 380s.  Just doing it for my 9s, and only during resizing.   Even when I resize cases that have already been deprimed.   It's as if on the up-stroke of the sizing die, it lifts the case up a bit and somehow snags/catches on the shellholder.

View Quote

I've FL sized about 4k 9mm with a u-die and didn't have the issue your referring to. It does sounds like there's a burr or something the rim of case is catching on.

When first trying to get 9mm to feed smoothly I used a dremel with a cut off wheel to chamfer the edges of the xpress shell holder slightly. I'm referring to the rail in the shell holder where the rim of the case fits between. I have a thin file that does fit inside the groove where the case rim slides, but it doesn't do much to that hardened steel and why I used a dremel.  

I have noticed tooling marks on some of the xpress shell holders. They really show up after buffing the SH.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:36:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lokifox] [#47]
The roller handles are out of stock everywhere I looked, so 3d printed one. Uses a roller bearing at each end, and its running very smoothly.

Also printed the collator. Before I cleaned it up I wanted to make sure it worked, and it does. I'll give it a light sanding later today or tomorrow.

All I've done so far is resize a hundred or so 223 cases. I think I need some tweaking on the case feeder positioning, not every case is dropping in just right. Overall it seems like a great machine though, will get that case feed running and be very happy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20210116_155621_jpg-1782293.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20210116_160030_jpg-1782294.JPG
View Quote

I would keep an eye on how much torque is going to be induced into the press with that handle. Just a guess -I think the press was able to be designed so lightly because the stresses are predictable and linear.

I might be wrong.

ETA - I set a stock alert for the roller handle and was able to grab one from Midway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By lokifox:

I would keep an eye on how much torque is going to be induced into the press with that handle. Just a guess -I think the press was able to be designed so lightly because the stresses are predictable and linear.

I might be wrong.

ETA - I set a stock alert for the roller handle and was able to grab one from Midway.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lokifox:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20210116_155621_jpg-1782293.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20210116_160030_jpg-1782294.JPG

I might be wrong.

Nope you could very well be right. I agree with the thought, and that was my first concern. I'll try to keep the weight of the pull as close to center line as possible, and if it doesn't feel right I was thinking of designing a new two-piece handle that would attach from each side of the bars. I thought about popping the whole bar off to reorient but then the handle gets into the feed tubes of course

I got a 10-pack of the bearings and the same bolt would work. That'd leave a small gap in the middle of the handle apparatus of course, but it'd align the pull force more down the center. One good thing about the 3d prints is that it's so cheap to try various option. Will be able to test a little today and report back.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:57:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShortyBP] [#49]
Thanks All!
Checked for burrs in the shellholder and didn't see any, or feel any with a dental pick... but made a few light passes with sandpaper on the upper edges of the lip, just in case.  It made a big improvement.

The 1st 1K I did before sanding were all mixed headstamps, 99% got stuck.  I did another ~1K last night in four batches of matching headstamps (PMC, GFL, CBC, Blazer) and it reversed to 2-3% getting stuck (about 2-3 cases per 4 tubes on the case feeder).   I can live with that!  
If I can find it in my mess, might break out the rotary tool and polish it up later on... perhaps I can bring that 2-3% down even lower.

*edit: spoke too soon.  Just tried running my RP brass thru it and I'm back up to 50% getting stuck. I'll keep messing with it.

**second edit:  found two more folks who had the same issue.  Their solution:  lube the cases.  I never lubed 9mm for sizing thru carbide dies before.  Reluctantly (only because I hate the extra steps to remove the lube) I lubed up several thousand more cases, and issue solved.  Out of ~2500 more cases, not one single hang up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#50]
The Inline Fabrication roller handle mounts to the stock handle arms. Dan usually makes good stuff so I'd hope it works in the long run. I could see it possibly being an issue when it comes to lots of resizing. Especially with bottleneck rounds. Guess I'll find out how solid it is. I have pretty much decided that I despise the factory handle for long sessions with this so it's getting changed one way or another.
Page / 9
Lee APP tips and tricks (Page 3 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top