Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2018 1:38:12 PM EDT
I know it’s a long shot but I’m trying to get a post sample, and I have not been successful in getting the police chiefs in my area in signing a demo letter.  Does anyone know a LEO group that would be interested in a demo for some firearms and signing a letter for me.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck with that !
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to discourage you.

But if it was that easy as just asking random local Cleo then everyone would be doing it.

The ones that do have the capability to get these letters etc usually have years of being in business with loads of contacts etc.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#3]
In order to obtain a LE demo, you need to prove a reason, beyond being a dealer first. First it comes down to, are you an FFL/SOT?  Second do you have an agency that wants to demo a gun?

Unless you have an established relationship with an agency that wants to demo a firearm, you are not going to get one, Agencies don't sign letters for any Tom, Dick or Harry that comes along.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure any CLEO, or whoever orders/researchs the armory options for a dept is gonna already have a goto guy they have used forever for any kind of demo runs etc.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Well maybe not forever. They have to run across new SOT guys somehow. Do some networking. Buy some coffee.

When I was working for SOTs we met lots of new cops (some with procurement authority) because we had something their agencies didn't: a repair facility. If you have something they need, they'll be more interested in speaking with you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know it’s a long shot but I’m trying to get a post sample, and I have not been successful in getting the police chiefs in my area in signing a demo letter.  Does anyone know a LEO group that would be interested in a demo for some firearms and signing a letter for me.
View Quote
The best tactic is to get rank/file LEOs on-board with you to get the letters for you. Cold calling a CLEO is going to be a low-probability of success. Here is a breakdown of who signs for me:

3 CLEOs I went to High School with.
1 was Deputy Sheriff and I took his CHL class, stayed in touch he became CLEO later.
1 was Sheriff and an LEO arranged for the demo letter to be signed.
1 was Chief, I talked to him at town event and a sergeant, the sergeant got the letter signed.
1 was SWAT, he got it signed for me.

So the high school friends are unfair advantage, but they did not become CLEO till I already had a good collection. But as you can see, all were relationships that existed BEFORE they were CLEO, or I asked for a letter .It is not hard, but you have to lay the ground work long before you want the item.

eta

And the demos did result in sales. HK/416 being most popular, HK/MP5 next, Colt/M4 third.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would a CLEO who doesn't know you take on the liability of signing a Demo letter? I've spent years building relationships to obtain them if needed. Years of being an asset to the agency in question. Even then, they aren't going to just sign them because I want a particular gun to play with. It would need to fit in their operational parameters in case they were ever asked WHY they wanted to demo one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Just get your sot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Just outta curiosity I assume these demo letter/samples etc aren’t like a normal govt rfp/bid obviously right?  Or is it?  Just wondering for those who do have had the pleasure of dealing with some weapons and departments.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
No, they're just a BATFE requirement for most post-86 MG transfers. There doesn't have to be any money involved.

There isn't any liability on the CLEO's part, and no one will ever question why they requested the demo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, they're just a BATFE requirement for most post-86 MG transfers. There doesn't have to be any money involved.

There isn't any liability on the CLEO's part, and no one will ever question why they requested the demo.
View Quote
i guess i should clarify. I meant to say the actual Procurement of the weapons. Not the Process i guess. In other words. Is there an RFP/bid for the actual PRICE of the firearms.

im not sure if im making sense most local govts put out everything for RFP or Bids so when it comes to actually ordering the weapons, NOT the demo part of it. So can like one guy do the demoing and they set it out to bid or is it all just one guy shebang for everything. NO bid/rfp etc
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#12]
That depends on applicable regulations and rules governing procurement. At my agency, anything over $5k must have bids. Under 5k the purchase just has to be approved by the chief over accounts payable.

There is a specific exemption for trades with firearms dealers in Louisiana state law, although I can't locate it at the moment. IIRC it allows state/local agencies to trade what they have for new firearms as an exception to the normal property disposal rules (destruction, public auction, or transfer to another agency). This would probably also bypass the 5k bid solicitation threshold.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why would a CLEO who doesn't know you take on the liability of signing a Demo letter? I've spent years building relationships to obtain them if needed. Years of being an asset to the agency in question. Even then, they aren't going to just sign them because I want a particular gun to play with. It would need to fit in their operational parameters in case they were ever asked WHY they wanted to demo one.
View Quote
What liability would there be from signing a demo letter?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
There’s always liability when it comes to firearms. I’m pretty much when you’re giving permission to someone to acquire a fire arm for you for demonstration purposes
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not necessarily legal liability, but PR liability.
The Mayor & city council wondering why the chief is signing NFA letters.
Not to mention the Court of Public Opinion when the media finds out the police chief of Mayberry wants to see a sales demo of a machine gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not to mention the Court of Public Opinion when the media finds out the police chief of Mayberry wants to see a sales demo of a machine gun.
View Quote
Two CLEOs gave me this as a reason. Said unless City Council already budgeted for the items, they would not do a demo letter.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or the court of public opinion when the media finds out the guy who snapped after his marriage and business failed and then went on a shooting rampage with an actual, highly restricted, machine gun only got it legally because the Chief / Sheriff signed off on it. Now, we all know the chances of that happening are slim, at best. But, we all also know that police administrators are wary of any chance of bad press. If they don't know you enough to form a good judge of your character, they're not likely to sign something they're not required to sign-especially if it's just so you can get a toy. It's those types of CLEO's which made NFA trusts so popular.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:Not to mention the Court of Public Opinion when the media finds out the police chief of Mayberry wants to see a sales demo of a machine gun.
View Quote

The law just states "demo" not "sales demo".  In some areas drug dealers, gangs, etc. are showing up with oddball f/a firearms so the demo could be for a training and familiarization class rather than a potential purchase.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's pretty hard, I guess, to justify why a dept might want an RPD, 1919, MG40 or a beater AK47.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#20]
No it's not. I bought an imported RPD (from Poland) this year. No questions asked.

I have excellent letter templates.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No it's not. I bought an imported RPD (from Poland) this year. No questions asked.

I have excellent letter templates.
View Quote
I don't mean justify to you or your CLEO friend, I mean justify to the public when "Action News 10" does an expose' on the department.

FWIW, I have shot all of those guns and more that were dealer samples.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Gotcha. Well the news never sees the agency using/deploying much of that, so it's pretty much a non-issue. I brought the RPD to the range for "weapons familiarization" along with a bunch of other post samples.

I think, in general, the public expects agencies to have automatic weapons. I've never heard of any locale accusing a demo or sale of being weird. I practically live in Mayberry. The neighboring city has issued Glock 18's to patrolmen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top