Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2018 6:28:17 PM EDT
I recently added this to my collection, a late war swp 45 98k...a bolt mismatch, but nonetheless a hard one to find...

The gun was produced at Brunn I, the Bruno Czech plant, which used the dot code, until 1945. In January 1945 a directive went out to change the manufacturer code for many arms producers. So Mauser Oberndorf went from byf 45 to svw 45, Steyer went from bnz to swj 45(never used on 98k production), and Brunn I went from dot to swp 45. In March they changed it yet again they switched...svw 45 to svwMB, swj 45 to swjXE (the absolute rarest code, only 8-10 are known at this point). Brunn I never instituted a second change.

So Brunn I started 1945 production using leftover dot 44 receivers, so you can have 1945 produced guns marked dot 44...there is also a small block which used rejected 1943 receivers, so you can have a 1945 Brunn I rifle marked dot 43. You need to go by serial numbers to determine what is what, it gets confusing.

It is figured somewhere around s/n 46000 a is where the switch from dot 44 to swp 45 started, there is always some overlap as the last of the dot 44 receivers were used up. At about 65000 a Brunn I switched from the standard rear sight to a greatly simplified sheet metal rear sight. By production numbers regular rear sight swp's are scarcer than the sheet metal sights. Brunn was the only factory to use the sheet metal rear sight.

Also, by this time, almost nothing save the bolts were serialed on Brunn's. Also you will notice the stock, pretty much all semblance of final finishing was gone...the stock on this is un-numbered, unstained, un-sanded, and rough like a corn cob, it is also in semi-kriegs configuration, eliminating the bayonet lug, and band spring. Bands were just attached with screws.

The bolt is from a Brunn I gun, also an "a" block, but you can't tell how close, as they only used the last 4 digits of the serial, but it is a 45 bolt...You can tell its Brunn I by the E/63 WaA under the bolt root which was the inspector for Brunn I. Also, the bolt is phosphate, while the extractor is blued, but as is common this part didn't take the blue well, so it appears plum in color. So there is a pleasing mix of greenish phosphate, plum extractor, and blued receiver...very Technicolor...

I was super happy to get this, it is my first swp...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice find!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, I'd like to have a kriegs model, but I don't know enough to keep from getting screwed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Neat rifle. The last French post-war marked 98K that I ran across locally had the hex based stacking rod, a bolt mismatch, and the shop was asking $1200
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for a little lesson on Mausers. I know enough to be dangerous about them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:56:00 AM EDT
[#7]
no bayonet lug...

yuck

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful rifle !
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fact that the rough machined dry as a bone stock never got any dirt, oil, dings, ect.  Is kinda odd.  Must have been pretty well cooped up in a sterile environment for most of its 70 years.

Nice preserved piece
View Quote
You'd be surprised how many, especially late war, survived like this...hardcore 98k guys love them untouched and raw, and pay a premium for guns like this....in fact, if you have two identical guns, one with a raw, untouched stock, and one where someone oiled the stock, for a collector, the value of the oiled stock gun is diminished quite a bit all other things being equal....
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
no bayonet lug...

yuck

View Quote
Some guys love the Kriegsmodell's....there are three varieties of Kriegsmodells too...

Full Kriegs....bolt takedown lug in butt removed and simple hole drilled in toe for bolt takedown...no bay lug, replaced with a simple sheet metal cap, and no band spring, bands held on with screws.

Then two types of semi-kriegs...one with the normal front end, bayo lug and band spring, but no takedown lug in butt....

and one with the takedown lug in butt, but no bayo lug or band spring...

And hey tend to be specific to makers....

@jozsi I should post my Hungarian 35M for you....
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one and also an m43 and 98/40.....

sadly my favorite to shoot is my m95 Budapest long rifle.....

strangely.......with the Hornady and PPU ammo..its fun to shoot.

I have a Russian capture k98k....Steyr...I'm happy with it and its matching numbers but its got the russkie shellac whatever crap on it.

don't care...... I like shooting it
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I always enjoy your posts, 98kGuy!  Informative and great pics.  I find these and the "last-ditch" Japanese guns to be some of the most interesting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I always enjoy your posts, 98kGuy!  Informative and great pics.  I find these and the "last-ditch" Japanese guns to be some of the most interesting.
View Quote
Thanks Man! Glad you enjoy them...I'll post my Series 11 Last Ditch for you....
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have one and also an m43 and 98/40.....

sadly my favorite to shoot is my m95 Budapest long rifle.....

strangely.......with the Hornady and PPU ammo..its fun to shoot.

I have a Russian capture k98k....Steyr...I'm happy with it and its matching numbers but its got the russkie shellac whatever crap on it.

don't care...... I like shooting it
View Quote
Nice, the 35M's are very hard to find....I haven't found an M43 yet, but do have a 98/40...

I have an unconverted Budapest M95 Stutzen, and an unconverted Steyr M95 Long rifle, want to find a Budapest....

I like Hungarian guns, as I am 100% Hungarian, as far as ethnicity goes, all my great grandparents and grandparents came directly from Hungary...never been there myself, but would like to get there sometime...
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#16]
For @sundance435

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Untouched-Nagoya-Series-11-Type-99-Last-Ditch/14-481357/

I did post my Last Ditch, it is Archived...
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For @sundance435

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Untouched-Nagoya-Series-11-Type-99-Last-Ditch/14-481357/

I did post my Last Ditch, it is Archived...
View Quote
I really like the "crude" machining on the receiver of your Type 99.  The "last ditch" Japanese guns really do make me think it was a last ditch effort at producing something that could fire a round, but you can tell some of the Teutonic attention to detail was still left right up until the end, even on their "last ditch" guns.

Defies logic to still be producing 98k's up until the end of the war, considering they were producing stuff like the Volkssturmgewehr, VG.1, VG.2, and VK.98 simultaneously.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top