Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2020 11:40:28 AM EDT
Why is there such a lack of AUG barrels? It would seem with the ability to swap barrels out there would be a bigger market for them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the lack of aftermarket US made barrels just due to the gas black difficulties?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the lack of aftermarket US made barrels just due to the gas black difficulties?
View Quote

Yes, it would take a lot to "figure out" how to make them properly, and time consuming and expensive.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 3:11:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm starting to wonder if Steyr USA is even a thing anymore.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm starting to wonder if Steyr USA is even a thing anymore.
View Quote

I’d be curious to know how many people Steyr employs, both in America and in Austria.

I get the feeling it’s super small, almost like a family business. That could explain a lot of their backward decisions.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’d be curious to know how many people Steyr employs, both in America and in Austria.

I get the feeling it’s super small, almost like a family business. That could explain a lot of their backward decisions.
View Quote

I wouldn't say that they're "super small", but they likely fall into the small business category.

Draw your own conclusions:
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd be curious to know how many people Steyr employs, both in America and in Austria.

I get the feeling it's super small, almost like a family business. That could explain a lot of their backward decisions.
View Quote

I read years back that Steyr-Austria had 55 employees
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say that they're "super small", but they likely fall into the small business category.

Draw your own conclusions:
https://i.imgur.com/CR51Fqz.png
View Quote

Wow. That’s way smaller than I was expecting.

I’ve been in gun stores bigger than that. It’s all starting to make sense now.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I read years back that Steyr-Austria had 55 employees
View Quote

Based on the pics above that number seems high.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
its a government company they only care when rifles ware out and the conscripts don't have guns
the guns are probably able to be refurbished twice and then they will make the Aug A4
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Somebody got bored and did doughnuts in AL.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:46:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d argue lack of a real market as well. As maleante has pointed out before steyr has made runs of barrels in lengths people acted like they would buy on the internet before then were stuck with them for years when said people never really bought any. Most people won’t have multiple barrels for their rifle as there isn’t a huge reason to do so. Your zero will change from barrel to barrel and it’s not a full auto LMG where you need to hot swap to keep from prematurely wearing a barrel out. Most gun owners will never put enough rounds through a firearm to wear out the barrel. On top of that the AUG market is limited by the very small total number of rifles in country and non barrel items by the large number of variants with non compatible bits and pieces. I would be surprised if there were even 50k total civilian AUGs of all variants in the US. The tavor SAR sold over 25k units in its first year but it doesn’t have a aftermarket barrel industry either for the same reason. For the most part the only guns with aftermarket barrels are ones with millions of examples in circulation, simple ones, or ones necessary to build the thing from a parts kit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I think they should take deposits and do runs of a few hundred once they get a minimum number, like 100, spoken for.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’d argue lack of a real market as well. As maleante has pointed out before steyr has made runs of barrels in lengths people acted like they would buy on the internet before then were stuck with them for years when said people never really bought any. Most people won’t have multiple barrels for their rifle as there isn’t a huge reason to do so. Your zero will change from barrel to barrel and it’s not a full auto LMG where you need to hot swap to keep from prematurely wearing a barrel out. Most gun owners will never put enough rounds through a firearm to wear out the barrel. On top of that the AUG market is limited by the very small total number of rifles in country and non barrel items by the large number of variants with non compatible bits and pieces. I would be surprised if there were even 50k total civilian AUGs of all variants in the US. The tavor SAR sold over 25k units in its first year but it doesn’t have a aftermarket barrel industry either for the same reason. For the most part the only guns with aftermarket barrels are ones with millions of examples in circulation, simple ones, or ones necessary to build the thing from a parts kit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to agree with this, I ended up getting a 16'' barrel a few years ago from a run, they were for sale forever once they had them in stock, not cheap but available. They didn't sell well talking to the dealer. The second they FINALLY sold out, there were tons of people wanting barrels and complaining about them not being available when they could have bought one for a heck of a long time.

I think it's just human nature to want what we can't get but to not actually buy it when we can.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#15]
A good example of the hysteria surrounding unavailability is my purchase of an FN made 24” barrel that dropped in price until I snatched it for $120. I recently sold it for $1500.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Somebody got bored and did doughnuts in AL.
View Quote

I thought it was a dick pic LOL

AUG barrels were rare even when things are good.

There are some great vids of the shops workings.
They employ more robots then people.
People only do the final inspections. they also show the robots that make the hammer forged barrels.

Here is one vid on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCMzyNHkjpk
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't have a need until recently. I ordered 2 from V1 Tactical that they are supposed to get in April or May............................................so we'll see.

Plan on getting one cut down to 16" for a suppressor barrel
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A good example of the hysteria surrounding unavailability is my purchase of an FN made 24” barrel that dropped in price until I snatched it for $120. I recently sold it for $1500.
View Quote

I think sometimes people don't know about something and they later find out that it exists, want it, but it really isn't available anymore.

I know I would have bought a 24 inch barrel had I known they were available. I remember seeing a video of a long barrel with a bipod on YouTube and thought they would be fun. I didn't know they existed before seeing it on YouTube. So I went to order it, and then found out they weren't available anymore.

I try to stay off the gun forums. Sometimes I think it's not too healthy staring at a screen. I sometimes miss out on stuff because of it. I will say this though, I was fortunate enough to take advantage of the big sale manventure outpost had on AUG mags way back. Bought more mags than I can remember, and that was before I had an AUG.

Sometimes I think gun manufacturers don't do a good job at marketing and advertising. I'm sure part of the issue is with people wanting what they can't have, but sometimes I know for me that I'm not always aware that something is even an option without stumbling on a video or a thread about it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yup, a lot of customers don't want to buy it, they just want the ability to buy it.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

They want to buy it, but they want to buy other things first.  I put off buying a bunch of guns Biden hates until the past few months because I had other things to do with the money that I preferred to do first when I didn't think it was necessary to get them at the time.  I've spent well over ten grand in the past three months when it became apparent Trump was having difficulties getting through the thick skulls of many voters.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I just want an 18 inch if its possible.

I'm blessed to have two AUGS, the 2nd thanks to maleante and a cobble together of parts I've gathered in 15 years of collecting at the SAR show from barrels to stocks and other parts needed.

In the end, I'd love another barrel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Is it weird that I only like AUGs with 20" barrels?

It's purely an aesthetic thing honestly - they just look right to me for some reason - even ones that are all tactical'd out.

Do they make A3 M1s with 20" barrels? Or is your only option to buy the 16" version and find a 20" barrel separately?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:05:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's purely an aesthetic thing honestly - they just look right to me for some reason - even ones that are all tactical'd out.

Do they make A3 M1s with 20" barrels? Or is your only option to buy the 16" version and find a 20" barrel separately?
View Quote

My first M1 (in the first 10 serial numbers) was a green 3x 20” gun from the factory. Everything now is 16” barrel length. You could probably special order an AUG with a 20” barrel barrel from Steyr, but it would be more probable to have them say yes to it in a non covid world...
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The oscillation of collector/shooter desires is interesting. In the years past when 16” barrels and black furniture were rare, when A1 integral optic receivers and 20” barrels were common, everyone wanted 16”, black, special receivers and A2 receivers. Now, people are nostalgic for green, 20” barrels, and a1/a2’ish optic housings. The same phenomenon exists in the SIG 55x collector world. We all want what is less available.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#25]
The problem with AUG barrels is they cost as much as a complete AR15 rifle.  Make AUG barrels for $150, and I'd have one of every length.  At $500+ each, and yea, maybe this one that came with it is fine afterall.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The problem with AUG barrels is they cost as much as a complete AR15 rifle.  Make AUG barrels for $150, and I'd have one of every length.  At $500+ each, and yea, maybe this one that came with it is fine afterall.
View Quote

I don't think you've priced ARs in the last 6 months.

You've also got to take into account that each barrel comes with $100+ of gas system parts. I picked up a 16" FN 1:7 barrel during the steyr black friday sale 3 years ago for around $300. How much do high end CHF, chrome lined AR barrels cost?

Steyr's problem is that they are not churning out barrels of various lengths now that they have the equipment to make them in-house. They should be taking advantage of the current market to get as many AUGs and AUG parts shipped asap
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Prior to the craziness, one could find sub-$400 AUG barrels during Steyr sales. The problem is that no one was buying during the slow times. And now everyone is looking to buy in the time where there is no inventory.

Also, I wish FN would offer SCAR barrels at AUG barrel pricing. Talk about painful.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought my 2nd AUG 16 Saber Defense barrel for about $200 and also the ADI barrel for $175 at the SAR show as the guy was wanting a threaded barrel.

During the slow times.....is how I got most of my AUG parts
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:26:25 AM EDT
[#29]
May 2021 is the next allocation of barrels

https://v1tactical.com/product/aug-20-spare-barrel-black/

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A good example of the hysteria surrounding unavailability is my purchase of an FN made 24" barrel that dropped in price until I snatched it for $120. I recently sold it for $1500.
View Quote
Holy shit.  I have 2 or 3 spares.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Prior to the craziness, one could find sub-$400 AUG barrels during Steyr sales. The problem is that no one was buying during the slow times. And now everyone is looking to buy in the time where there is no inventory.

Also, I wish FN would offer SCAR barrels at AUG barrel pricing. Talk about painful.
View Quote

Yeah - that is a good point.

At first, my initial reaction was, "holy shit, AUG barrels are expensive."

And then I remembered that SCAR barrels are like $1,200.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:21:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
May 2021 is the next allocation of barrels

https://v1tactical.com/product/aug-20-spare-barrel-black/

View Quote

Thanks man! Just placed an order for the May 2021 allocation. $424.42 total with taxes and shipping

Only 3 left now as of 12/20/2020
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow, people are desperate. Look what this “modified” turd of a barrel is currently up to

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/887872171
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wow, people are desperate. Look what this “modified” turd of a barrel is currently up to

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/887872171
View Quote

That’s an Australian barrel that’s been threaded. Good barrel
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That’s an Australian barrel that’s been threaded. Good barrel
View Quote

Except for the fact it can no longer accept a VFG. It was a good barrel before someone butchered it. Maybe a CA resident wants it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Except for the fact it can no longer accept a VFG. It was a good barrel before someone butchered it. Maybe a CA resident wants it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I have two AUG barrels: a 16” and a 20”
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got email from V1 tactical. All spare barrels delayed until Q4 of 2021
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I just saw that too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just got email from V1 tactical. All spare barrels delayed until Q4 of 2021
View Quote

Yea their allocation thing is bs. I bought one way back in Sept and my allocation was in January. That came and went. Then today I get the same e-mail that I have to wait till the end of the year. Fuck that Steyr is playing games with selling their barrels. I bet in Q4 they make up another bs excuse. I went ahead and cancelled my order and are waiting for a refund.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yea their allocation thing is bs. I bought one way back in Sept and my allocation was in January. That came and went. Then today I get the same e-mail that I have to wait till the end of the year. Fuck that Steyr is playing games with selling their barrels. I bet in Q4 they make up another bs excuse. I went ahead and cancelled my order and are waiting for a refund.
View Quote

To be fair. I bet the allocation thing is more a V1 issue than Steyr.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

To be fair. I bet the allocation thing is more a V1 issue than Steyr.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got a refund on my order. They charged me a $73.90 "cancellation fee" to get my money back. That's fucking highway robbery and they are still taking orders for more allocations and can't even fill the ones from Sept.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just got a refund on my order. They charged me a $73.90 "cancellation fee" to get my money back. That's fucking highway robbery and they are still taking orders for more allocations and can't even fill the ones from Sept.
View Quote

Jeez, how much was the barrel? $500?

I'd take that up with your CC company explaining to them that they pushed out POSSIBLE delivery 6 months or more down the road which is why you cancelled. I'd bet you get your $73.90 back.

It's not like you returned the damn thing, they never even sent it out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'd take that up with your CC company explaining to them that they pushed out POSSIBLE delivery 6 months or more down the road which is why you cancelled. I'd bet you get your $73.90 back.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. They just lost my business too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Barrel was $359 +$10.53 for shipping

Total $369.52

They charged me a $73.90 cancellation fee. Here's what they wrote.

"Unfortunately, we cannot control the manufacture delays and our website does clearly state that as well as our cancelation fees. We are in some unusual times right now and delays are to be expected. Steyr is unique in itself that they are at the mercy of Austria. Steyr USA can only ship out items if they receive them from Austria.

Steyr management made a decision to not produce the 20” barrels until later in the year since they have a backlog of over 10,000 AUG’s. We received the call yesterday from Steyr and immediately reached out to all of our customer that had this item on order to inform them of the change.

If you have any other questions please feel free to call us in the office.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Sorry dude. I've known guys who have bought from V1 without issue. And yes, it took me all of 10 seconds to find their cancellation policy with their sliding scale non-sense. But to charge a cancellation fee on something you pre-ordered. And they never had possession of and would have had possession for 10 months........is ridiculous. They're lost my potential business.

It would be different if they had the stuff in hand and actually did work for it. Or you got it and sent it back.

I could understand a small fee not returned if their credit card processing place doesn't refund that portion. But it certainly wouldn't be that high.

This "schedule" is idiotic:
Orders canceled within 12 hours of order being placed – 5% fee
Orders canceled 12-24 hours after order being placed – 10% fee
Orders canceled beyond 24 hours of order being placed – 20% fee

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#48]
That’s pretty rough, haven’t seen that. I did hear the barrels were pushed to dec 2021 but figured I would hold on
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top