Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2021 2:31:22 AM EDT
It's become apparent that a green laser  is more daytime friendly but I can't get it  as to why L3 still doesn't offer a green visible laser option yet on the ATPIAL-C.  Anyone have any insight or is it just "Buy it or don't buy we (L3) really couldn't care less." Thing with L3? Fan boys want mil-spec RED vis lasers ?  Double red dots through the view finder in daytime I think are confusing but what do I know.

I'm looking at a Halosun LE321G titanium when back in stock or one of the new Z-bolt offerings.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
probably worst battery life with green, more expensive diode etc...
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]
More expensive diodes and it's really not a big deal. Zeroing at dawn or dusk is going to be required for either red or green visible laser anyway, a 5mW green isn't going to be significantly better in broad daylight than red anyway.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
And cold weather renders green laser diodes dead. Found that out AFTER buying a dBal with green vis laser.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Modern green lasers do not have noticeably worse battery life or low temperature performance compared to red. The old frequency doubling diodes did have these issues, but any modern green laser from reputable companies (Wilcox, BEM, SureFire, etc.) would be fine (they are generally rated to operate down to -20° C, compared to the old Steiner DBAL-I2 that are good only down to 5° C). I also find the green to be a noticeable visibility boost compared to red, at least on the handgun side of things; I can and do use the green in competition (USPSA, in conjunction with an RDS on my ghetto open gun), and it has a much wider range of usability when it comes to light conditions.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably because it was speced by the military to have a red laser and they still purchase them with red lasers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Modern green lasers do not have noticeably worse battery life or low temperature performance compared to red. The old frequency doubling diodes did have these issues, but any modern green laser from reputable companies (Wilcox, BEM, SureFire, etc.) would be fine (they are generally rated to operate down to -20° C, compared to the old Steiner DBAL-I2 that are good only down to 5° C). I also find the green to be a noticeable visibility boost compared to red, at least on the handgun side of things; I can and do use the green in competition (USPSA, in conjunction with an RDS on my ghetto open gun), and it has a much wider range of usability when it comes to light conditions.
View Quote

When I took my dBal i2 (manufactured Sept 2020) out at around 0°F, it died after about 5 minutes. Once warmed up in the truck it was working again.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Because everyone speaks red laser. People get that message. It’s more menacing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
More expensive diodes and it's really not a big deal. Zeroing at dawn or dusk is going to be required for either red or green visible laser anyway, a 5mW green isn't going to be significantly better in broad daylight than red anyway.
View Quote

Someone hasn't played with Russian lasers. Can see that green dot clear as day in the Texas sun.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because everyone speaks red laser. People get that message. It’s more menacing.
View Quote

Yep excellent calmative
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When I took my dBal i2 (manufactured Sept 2020) out at around 0°F, it died after about 5 minutes. Once warmed up in the truck it was working again.
View Quote
Sounds about right. When I say "old DBAL-I2", I just mean that it's an old model; AFAIK, Steiner has never updated the design, so even newly manufactured DBAL-I2s are still only good down to 41° F.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:53:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Someone hasn't played with Russian lasers. Can see that green dot clear as day in the Texas sun.
View Quote

I've had a number of them - including the gen 3 PERST 3. But OP specified civilian power.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I just use the visible laser to sight in the IR laser. Red, green, yellow I dont really care what color so long as its slaved to the IR laser
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top