Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 8:42:43 PM EDT
Ordered up one of these. For $40 I figured to give it a try.

Ruixin
Small Pocket Knife Sharpening - Ruixin Pro Sharp
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Let us know how it works out. I have a Lansky System sharpener that is along the same lines. I like the table attachment but wonder about the durability of the stones.
Interesting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let us know how it works out. I have a Lansky System sharpener that is along the same lines. I like the table attachment but wonder about the durability of the stones.
Interesting.
View Quote

I also have a Lansky.  I order this one with diamond stones and natural ones.  I saw where you need to soak the natural stones in water before use.  I wanted this one because it supports large chef knives better than a Lansky.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Please do give us a review of this sharpener.

It's for sale on Amazon with some bad comments about poor quality, and I'd like to know if this is a good buy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please do give us a review of this sharpener.

It's for sale on Amazon with some bad comments about poor quality, and I'd like to know if this is a good buy.
View Quote

Of course.  There are a lot of YouTube videos on it.  I did the one with diamond stones because the negative comments are often about the stones.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I gave up on standard stones long ago due to them wearing to a concave shape.
Diamond "stones" only wear out, but retain the flat surface for the life of the stone.

I had a Lansky many years ago and upgraded to a Gatco in the 90's.
Finally, tired of the misshapen stones I went Gatco diamond.

My problem with the Lansky and Gatco is the inability to securely hold the blades so they don't shift.
Many knives are tapered in length and from back to edge and that's hard to hold and not have them changing the angle to the stone.
The above shown tool looks like a much more secure method of locking the blades, but I don't want to go to the cost of changing over if the tool isn't very good.
I especially like the ability to just turn the holder over to do the other side.

So, a report would be welcome.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I gave up on standard stones long ago due to them wearing to a concave shape.
Diamond "stones" only wear out, but retain the flat surface for the life of the stone.

I had a Lansky many years ago and upgraded to a Gatco in the 90's.
Finally, tired of the misshapen stones I went Gatco diamond.

My problem with the Lansky and Gatco is the inability to securely hold the blades so they don't shift.
Many knives are tapered in length and from back to edge and that's hard to hold and not have them changing the angle to the stone.
The above shown tool looks like a much more secure method of locking the blades, but I don't want to go to the cost of changing over if the tool isn't very good.
I especially like the ability to just turn the holder over to do the other side.

So, a report would be welcome.
View Quote

Sounds like I am the $43 test mule.  I will film it and put it on YouTube.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
So it came in.

My first impressions and no video yet.  I want to figure it out first.

As I thought, the mount and clamp are rock solid.  It will clamp your blade and ensure things stay put.  The guide is sufficient for the job, if anyone finds it too flexible then they are working the device too hard.  

I reprofiled an old hand made skinner my father made 40 years ago.  It worked.  I got a useable edge that would skin out a deer just fine.  I then put it to an old Case folder. Same result.

Negatives

The standard stones are questionable at best.  They seem to be very soft.  

I got the diamond upgrades with mine.  The grit on the diamond stones is a bit off.  I think the one labeled as 1000 is more like a 600.  The other two are in the same range, lower than marked.  

I am not ready to put it on a $200 blade.  Until I am well versed on it I will not post a video. I want to be fair to the product.

Initial impressions
6/10 because the standard stones are well, soft and the diamonds are more aggressive than marked. Both could be remedied with high quality stones.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Will the Lansky's or E-Z Sharp stones fit on this?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Will the Lansky's or E-Z Sharp stones fit on this?
View Quote

Don't know, post up a picture and measurements. It seems like it is very adjustable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't know, post up a picture and measurements. It seems like it is very adjustable.
View Quote

You posted above you had a Lansky's. Will the stone guide in the Lansky fit in the guide of the new sharpener?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You posted above you had a Lansky's. Will the stone guide in the Lansky fit in the guide of the new sharpener?
View Quote

I thought you meant they had another product.  I have not messed with trying to put my Lansky stones in the Ruixin  I will take a look tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#12]
After I changed to the Gatco, I pried the stones off the Lansky plastic handles and use them for light gunsmithing jobs.

If the new tool will accept shorter stones, that's an option.
Personally, due to stones wearing to a concave shape I've converted to diamond for sharpening.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After I changed to the Gatco, I pried the stones off the Lansky plastic handles and use them for light gunsmithing jobs.

If the new tool will accept shorter stones, that's an option.
Personally, due to stones wearing to a concave shape I've converted to diamond for sharpening.
View Quote

I may do that after I mess with it more.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Until you can road test it, how does it look as far as strength and usability?

I have a diamond stone version teed up to place an order from Amazon but I'd like some feed back on whether it looks usable and durable for occasional knife sharpening.

I actually sharpen my X-acto hobby knife #24 blades more then anything else but I also do kitchen knives and scissors.

I've always been a little dissatisfied with Lansky and the Gatco because the blade clamps.....Don't.
No matter how tight I get the clamp the blade shifts, pops out, and tips.  That is, the blade edge will tip downward when sharpening, then tips the other way when the other side is sharpened.
This not only makes it tough to sharpen uniformly, it's dangerous when the blade starts moving around.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Until you can road test it, how does it look as far as strength and usability?

I have a diamond stone version teed up to place an order from Amazon but I'd like some feed back on whether it looks usable and durable for occasional knife sharpening.

I actually sharpen my X-acto hobby knife #24 blades more then anything else but I also do kitchen knives and scissors.
View Quote

It is very useable.  

I will work kitchen knives first and foremost for now.  

If you keep in mind the 1000 diamond is more like a 600 and have that expectation. It will do fine.

Some crappy photos. Toes and all. About 1 degree one side to the other. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

This video is a guy who knows nothing about sharpening a knife.  Do not trust this review.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Any update?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I missed that along the way, thanks.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top