Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/1/2023 9:19:49 AM EDT
4???????????????????????????????????

Ok that's just nuts. Awesome work but dang.
Grab a drink and settle in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Aren't they called "scribes"?
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:
View Quote

Yeah I think so, I was just using the translation. Kiridashi I believe is their name for it, but they have single edge and double, left hand vs right hand. Total rabbit hole....
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
That's really cool. I always wanted to get a nice one like those, not That I'd probably ever use it, lol.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#4]
View Quote

In woodworking it’s called a marking knife. Pointed tool is a scribe.  Some marking knives have a scribe on one end and dual bevels on the knife end to be able to mark on both sides of a rule, square, gauge or template.

Like this marking knife with scribe end…

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tsg68:

In woodworking it’s called a marking knife. Pointed tool is a scribe.  Some marking knives have a scribe on one end and dual bevels on the knife end to be able to mark on both sides of a rule, square, gauge or template.

https://www.jimbodetools.com/cdn/shop/products/103944_1200x.progressive.jpg?v=1659316551
View Quote

Are you kidding me? This is so freaking cool!
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Beautiful.

My wife and I watched a YouTube video on skilled Japanese artisans handcrafting a matcha whisk for a tea ceremony. A true testament to skill. At the end I told my wife, "I'd just use a spoon."

That's probably why I use a Stanley 10-049 for 99% of my marking knife needs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tsg68:

https://www.jimbodetools.com/cdn/shop/products/103944_1200x.progressive.jpg?v=1659316551
View Quote

Now THAT is cool! I wouldn't mind having something like that in my toolbox.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Now THAT is cool! I wouldn't mind having something like that in my toolbox.
View Quote

Mine was given to me by an old cabinetmaker I worked with and Crown Tool used to make them but I think they discontinued them.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top