Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2019 3:58:56 PM EDT
I recently asked a retired coworker who does awesome craftsmanship if he could build me a large wall mounted knife display case.  The final dimensions will be 8 feet long, 4 feet tall and 5 inches deep.  The back interior panel is a single sheet of steel which will make use of magnets to hold the knives.  I wanted a raw, industrial look to the build so he just put a few coats of clear on the steel to help prevent rust, it also gave the steel a much darker look.  The interior will be stained in ebony and matches the steel in color almost exactly.  The exterior is going to be "burned" then cleared.  The front will be 2 pieces of 1/4" glass in a tracking system on rollers.  Finally, the interior will be fitted with a multi color LED system.  Can't wait to get the display case home in a few weeks.  It's definitely going to be heavy.  My knife collection is ever growing and evolving but it'll be a while before I can fill it.  Currently researching cylinder magnets to hold the knives.  The front face is 7/8" and we're currently trying to figure out how to trim it in something that that matches the industrial theme.  I was thinking rebar but that would be adding a lot of weight and would be hard to mount it to wood.  Also considered rope around the front border.  What does everyone think?  I'm sorry I don't have any progress pics but it was completely disassembled yesterday to prep it for final assembly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Pictures! Need to see!
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pictures! Need to see!
View Quote
Soon!  I'm guessing a couple weeks.  Once we get the final dimensions then I can get the glass for the front.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Edit: Not GD
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Edit: Not GD
View Quote
Gotta build the suspense
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#5]
In for updates and ideas.  I need a display case myself.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the display case and mounted it to the wall.  I'm just waiting on the 2 glass panels.  Magnets are on order.  Never posted photos before so I'm giving it a try.  The pictures don't do it justice, its way bigger in person.  8'x4' seemed really small on paper but it takes up the majority of my 12' wall.

Link Posted: 7/7/2019 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
In for the finished display (w/knives). Looks like it could be pretty neat.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Wife had a case made for me and I have never hung it up or used it. Need to sell it.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top