Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2018 12:46:49 PM EDT
Anyone here have any tight groups they want to share with their RDB?

I'm trying to sell a friend on this gun and will need more than my one anecdotal
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for interest also
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll post some on Tuesday.  :)
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks eviljoe
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Made the first range trip with the RDB earlier this week. I have it set up with a Primary Arms Cyclops 1x prism scope, a sweet little optic!

I have 53 year-old eyes, and see as well as a man much older. So, I don't expect much from a 1x scope, but the Cyclops and RDB combo delivered several groups of less than 1.5" at 50 yards:

I'm quite pleased with the results. The Cyclops seems more like an extension of the RDB instead of an addition, kind of like the fixed optic on an AUG, and it is very fast on target. I was able to hit the big gong at 200 yards with every shot, too, thanks to the clarity of the glass.

I think the RDB with short handguard is a looker, and I love how it handles. As a bonus, if you wear an old pocket t-shirt and shoot left-handed from the bench, about every other empty case will roll right into that pocket, saving you from having to pick them up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet looking package
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine wouldn't do <1.8moa consistently even with multiple quality loads and the aluminium handguard.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't expect much better than 3MOA with LAKE CITY M193 ammo....anyone claiming to consistently get better than 1.5" with 55gr milsurp stuff always seems highly suspicious to me.

I will grab a box of 69gr and 77gr Black Hills match stuff...though I'll also need to find a scope to borrow; I won't do that great with my red do--T2 and holosun groups tend to be ~6" at 100Y with 55gr (just a hair better than irons, but faster).
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I would be nice to see someone build one up with a higher quality barrel, and maybe with a slightly stiffer profile.  KT is cheap, so there is no way this is a 'nice' barrel, and at least on my gun, the crown is nothing impressive; there's gonna be a floor on the accuracy figures just from that.  Put a nicer barrel with match chamber and a little less whip in there, and I'd love to see how much things change.

1) Bolt is similar enough in theory to an AR that this can't be realistically impacting accuracy, assuming it's decently square (and it is, since we've seen no reports of broken bolts)
2) Due to the long cycle distance, the charging handle is way out front & so is the gas block; the bullet is long gone before the gas system is doing anything like loading up the gas cup
3) The 17" model barrel does extend past the gas block a good ways with a small profile; there may be some Mini-14 type barrel whip issues at play here
4) Trigger is nice enough for a 1MOA shooting rifle, but the lock time is necessarily very long because of the long hammer.  Would be interesting to see how groups change when the rifle is bolted down & the shooter's follow through isn't able to impact things.
5) We'd need to cast it to know for sure, but I'd bet the chamber is fairly roomy, and the leade nothing to write home about, since that allows for a reamer to cut more barrels before changing
6) The flash hider seems to encourage the formation of fouling around the crown; there's a restriction/throat right in front of the crown that could be causing this.

Summary; "it's built like a battle rifle, not a DMR" cliche.  But it's probably true here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it worth putting an ACOG on it or just stick with a red dot?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I put a low power acog on mine, haven’t shot it yet though
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I would be interested to know as well...

I went out to the range after sighting mine in at 50 yds a few weeks ago, and was getting TERRIBLE groups at 100yds... like 12”+.

I get home and realize that the POS Primaty Arms red dot mount that I have installed is loose again (after applying blue loctite to the single mounting screw). I’m going to have to get a better mount and in the future add the cost of a decent mount to the price of any cheap optics I buy at PA.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep us posted semper
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep us posted semper
View Quote
New Midwest Industries QD optic mount has arrived and appears head and shoulders above the PA mount with regard to quality. No wobble whatsoever. Upon closer inspection of the mount that came with the red dot, it looks like one of the holes in the base was incorrectly over-drilled, allowing the rear half of the optic to wobble all over even with loctite (maybe that’s why it was listed as a blem?). Anyway...

Heading out this weekend to see what kind of groups I can get at 100 with the RDB. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

New Midwest Industries QD optic mount has arrived and appears head and shoulders above the PA mount with regard to quality. No wobble whatsoever. Upon closer inspection of the mount that came with the red dot, it looks like one of the holes in the base was incorrectly over-drilled, allowing the rear half of the optic to wobble all over even with loctite (maybe that’s why it was listed as a blem?). Anyway...

Heading out this weekend to see what kind of groups I can get at 100 with the RDB. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.
View Quote
I’m going off memory here, but IIRC the issue with those blem PAs was with their mount. I remember something about they’re absolutely fine if using an aftermarket mount, but that something in the mount was machined wrong.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Took the RDB back out today with the new mount. I shot Wolf Military Classic since I had my gas dialed in using Brown Bear. Also, the morning sun was bright on my targets, so I had to use a brighter setting than I would have liked, so probably not the best conditions for an official accuracy test, but anyway..
Attachment Attached File

Had to get it back on paper starting at the 25. Once I felt that I was good at 50, I set up a target on the 100.
Attachment Attached File

The top group is my first group (2.25”), the lowest one (4.5”) is my second group after adjustment and the two shots just above (4.5”) that are the rounds I got off before I had a case get stuck in the chamber and called it a day.. I’ve never had a stuck casing before, so I guess I was overdue for one considering all the Russian ammo I shoot. Will definitely be only using brass ammo in this rifle going forward. Hopefully it will help with the accuracy as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never shot mine for groups but I've taken it to 500with an eotech off a barricade.

Full-size ipsc targets. Perfectly fine for me it's comparable to my tavor sar.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone done accuracy testing using the pistol grip as the rest-point & not even touching the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone done accuracy testing using the pistol grip as the rest-point & not even touching the barrel?
View Quote
I wonder if there is a way to make a handguard float.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll take pictures next time I go to the range. With IWI M193 55grain I consistently get roughly 2-2.5" groups. With Wolf it's around 4" groups.

I think barrel whip is the primary reason it suffers in accuracy over an AR.

I'd love for someone to figure out how to free float the handguard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I get 2-2.25 inches @ 100 yds with mine.  Upgrades are the LIFE handguard, SIG Romeo 5, and a linear compensator instead of the flash hider.  I shoot 62gr PMC, Federal, and handloads.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I would've thought you guys had been getting better results. Seems akin to the Tavor.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll take pictures next time I go to the range. With IWI M193 55grain I consistently get roughly 2-2.5" groups. With Wolf it's around 4" groups.

I think barrel whip is the primary reason it suffers in accuracy over an AR.

I'd love for someone to figure out how to free float the handguard.
View Quote
A shorter barrel would also help, but drop below 26"
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A shorter barrel would also help, but drop below 26"
View Quote
Getting SBR approval online seems to be very fast these days.

This thing would be awesome with a 12.5" barrel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top