Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2019 4:35:45 AM EDT
Link

Very similar to the KSG except single tube so it only holds 7 rounds of 3”. Knocks off almost a pound and the action is easier to cycle.

Cary handle/open sight is removable for an optics rail.

This has me super excited depending on price.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Link

Very similar to the KSG except single tube so it only holds 7 rounds of 3”. Knocks off almost a pound and the action is easier to cycle.

Cary handle/open sight is removable for an optics rail.

View Quote
I’m kind of interested as well. I like the design of the pump handle too as compared to the ksg with the rail you have to worry about breaking off while cycling the action.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#2]
In for more details and the eventual disappointment.    
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
MSRP is going to be $495 supposedly
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Less than 500$ when everything settles will be an awesome price.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That's not how dupe's work, this is a technical forum not GD.

ETA: I'm sure you probably know that, I assume it just popped up in the feed. Here's something useful from that thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh9AguVzdP8
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a KSG, but will buy one of these as well, once they are actually available. I actually like the idea of the carry handle with FO sight in it. Sling it and done!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone else looked at the KS7 and thought "that would be fun to hack into a semi-auto and take Aguila mini-12 only"? No? Just me?

Okay, then.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Has anyone else looked at the KS7 and thought "that would be fun to hack into a semi-auto and take Aguila mini-12 only"? No? Just me?

Okay, then.
View Quote
You are not the only one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Am I the only one whose interest is mainly spurred by it looking so sci fi?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Okay, good, because it already looks like it's a .73 cal rifle from the Aliens universe or something. And look, I already have a rifled 12ga blank sitting here for whatever "bolter" type project catches my eye... with things shortened internally to only run with the 1-3/4" shells, there should be room aplenty to adapt it to a simple blowback or similar... or, since it's already got a simple locking system, just make a tiny little gas hole and piston setup.

ETA: Yeah, locking system for sure... to handle the Aguila minishell slugs, the bolt would need to be around five pounds.

Quoted:
Am I the only one whose interest is mainly spurred by it looking so sci fi?
No. No, you're sure not... looks almost like something from Aliens.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Shotguns are low-pressure.
mini-shells make even less gas
Gonna need a pretty big piston projected area to get it to cycle.  Also gotta save room for the action spring(s) and probably add some buffering.
I suppose you could go with an annular piston (930, 1100) or a dual piston (versamax) and stuff it right up near the chamber.
Add a gas valve so you could run different loads without beating it up.

Or with the Versamax setup, open up more holes closer to the breach for the shorter shells.

Not saying it can't be done, just that I would want to do some calculations first.  I don't even know what kind of pressure curve you would get from the mini shells.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm very excited for the KS7, I really like the sight channel / carry handle combo, and with an expected street price of $350-$400 once supply catches up, its easy to justify purchasing one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shotguns are low-pressure.
mini-shells make even less gas
Gonna need a pretty big piston projected area to get it to cycle.  Also gotta save room for the action spring(s) and probably add some buffering.
I suppose you could go with an annular piston (930, 1100) or a dual piston (versamax) and stuff it right up near the chamber.
Add a gas valve so you could run different loads without beating it up.

Or with the Versamax setup, open up more holes closer to the breach for the shorter shells.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/versa_port-tfb.jpeg

Not saying it can't be done, just that I would want to do some calculations first.  I don't even know what kind of pressure curve you would get from the mini shells.
View Quote
Same, just brainstorming at this point. My fallback plan is to machine a mostly hollow bolt, blowback, and fill it with lead. It's worked more than once for me, for goofy projects that will only ever be just for fun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Same, just brainstorming at this point. My fallback plan is to machine a mostly hollow bolt, blowback, and fill it with lead. It's worked more than once for me, for goofy projects that will only ever be just for fun.
View Quote
Just remember, you're looking at 1000-1400 lbft of energy from mini-shells....
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if an ARFCOM member will get one of the 25 or so of these KelTec will ship before the next presidential election?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wonder if an ARFCOM member will get one of the 25 or so of these KelTec will ship before the next presidential election?
View Quote
I will call my shop where I got my RFB once they're shipping
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just remember, you're looking at 1000-1400 lbft of energy from mini-shells....
View Quote
Yes, of course. 1250 FPS, 5/8oz slugs, around 1200 FPS for the 5/8oz buck. Going for the "ideal" bolt velocity of around 4m/s discounting all resistance to recock a hammer, or drive a striker back, or anything like that, 5-5.5lbs would be safe for a direct blowback. Back-of-the-envelope math, but it's a decent ballpark. Without seeing the KS7 in person yet, I'm not sure if blowback would be doable with a shortened stroke and new bolt, or if it will make more sense to repurpose the current lock, or what. We'll see.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, of course. 1250 FPS, 5/8oz slugs, around 1200 FPS for the 5/8oz buck. Going for the "ideal" bolt velocity of around 4m/s discounting all resistance to recock a hammer, or drive a striker back, or anything like that, 5-5.5lbs would be safe for a direct blowback. Back-of-the-envelope math, but it's a decent ballpark. Without seeing the KS7 in person yet, I'm not sure if blowback would be doable with a shortened stroke and new bolt, or if it will make more sense to repurpose the current lock, or what. We'll see.
View Quote
are you saying 5 lbs of bolt?

Also remember that plastic hulls don't hold bore pressure like brass, and they can stick to the bore when they swell.
There's a reason blowback shotguns aren't a thing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

are you saying 5 lbs of bolt?

Also remember that plastic hulls don't hold bore pressure like brass, and they can stick to the bore when they swell.
There's a reason blowback shotguns aren't a thing.
View Quote
Yes, a 5-5.5lb bolt. They may not be a thing commercially, but for screwing around in the shop... well, 12ga blowbacks exist. Of that, I'm 100% sure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Attachment Attached File

We needed a picture
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#22]
What, you didn't like the disagreement over practicality?

I'm not sure how in the world we all skipped over putting a picture direct in the thread here... I suppose I'd already seen it in GD, so I didn't consider it. Good catch!
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Wonder what chokes it takes?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wonder what chokes it takes?
View Quote
Probably not threaded for chokes, same as the KSG.

ETA: Just like the KSG, it does appear to have a threaded barrel nut, and there's a WinChoke adapter already available for that which holds the barrel on and allows the use of chokes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Probably not threaded for chokes, same as the KSG.
ETA: Just like the KSG, it does appear to have a threaded barrel nut, and there's a WinChoke adapter already available for that which holds the barrel on and allows the use of chokes.
View Quote
I just read the article says the future long-barrel KS7 will take chokes...
Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I just read the article says the future long-barrel KS7 will take chokes...
Oh well.
View Quote
They bother setting up for chokes on the long barrel, but not the compact one that most people will buy?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Okay, then.
View Quote
After watching Paul Harrell's videos on the Aguila mini-shells, I'm a lot less impressed with them then I was before watching.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I really think I will buy one of these as soon as they come out, under five bills of course.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm very excited for the KS7, I really like the sight channel / carry handle combo, and with an expected street price of $350-$400 once supply catches up, its easy to justify purchasing one.
View Quote
Yep. This is something that I'll likely buy once available.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

After watching Paul Harrell's videos on the Aguila mini-shells, I'm a lot less impressed with them then I was before watching.
View Quote
This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13LaTffG1K0 and part two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIiMmWv9h7Q

If so, I'll have to take a look... but I use them for fun things, or for 12ga rounds when the usual simply has far too much recoil. Teaching new shooters, for example, or using a 12ga handgun.

Tons of fun, total range toy in that configuration, and pretty near impossible to use regular 12ga. I've shot it with regular 2-3/4" 12ga defense ammo twice. If I do that a third time, it will be because it's pointed at a bear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:24:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm either going to use the choke adapter, or ideally, get the barrel threaded for chokes.

My plan is to mount a GATOR Spreader choke onto it as a purpose built hallway sweeper

12 yard spread - a bit longer then the furthest distance in my house. Spread is 12" x 33" - about the width of my front door.

And 6 yard spread is still a respectable 5.5"x12"

Now, the question is whether I can get a +1 mag extension tube to match the length of the choke?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll be... that thing really works. On a KS7, you'd be talking about a real crowd-pleaser. Neat.

I haven't seen any accessories such as extensions, but technically speaking it shouldn't be difficult to make one or adapt an existing product, but if there's demand then it will certainly come to market soon after launch. Or, I'm totally wrong and there's no way to remove the endcap/spring from the mag tube. I just don't know 100%, but from a manufacturing standpoint it wouldn't make sense to spend more to limit options to the end user.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#33]
If there is a supply that isn’t the normal Keltec (3-5 year wait), and street price is around 400.00, I will move this to the top of guns to buy this year.

Been looking for a truck shotgun and if I can put a choke on the end of it or pick up a ~22” barrel version then I will be set
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's a photo of the "KS12" - the KS7 with the 12+1 mag tube and 30" barrel from the KSG25.

I think it looks really cool:

That said, I'd really like to see an intermediate length version.

The "KS12" is 38" long 12+1; I'd love to see like a 9+1/10+1 that is around 32" OAL, which is about the same length as an AUG 20" barrel, or a 11.5" SBR.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I think it looks awesome. Once it a) becomes available at a reasonable price (2+ years I expect) and b) the early adopters have finished beta testing it, I will absolutely buy one. It will go really well with my collection of SUB-2000s that has somehow expanded to four.

Now, if Kel-Tec can figure out a way to mate it with a RDB we will have a commercial Pulse Rifle. Maybe then they can start working on the Smart Gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, atleast we know which company becomes Weyland-Yutani's small arms research branch.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Here's a photo of the "KS12" - the KS7 with the 12+1 mag tube and 30" barrel from the KSG25.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/DSC6669.jpg

The "KS12" is 38" long 12+1; I'd love to see like a 9+1/10+1 that is around 32" OAL, which is about the same length as an AUG 20" barrel, or a 11.5" SBR.
View Quote
I totally agree with you.

Still can’t figure out why they put out a 30” barrel and not a 22-24” barrel and a 2-3 mag extension.

Hope to see some range videos from today posted on YouTube or full30
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well, atleast we know which company becomes Weyland-Yutani's small arms research branch.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Still can’t figure out why they put out a 30” barrel and not a 22-24” barrel and a 2-3 mag extension.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/DSC6669.jpg

I think thats just so they can reuse the barrels and mag tubes from the KSG25. Which makes a lot of sense as well, especially from a production standpoint.

But, I do hope we get an intermediate length version down the road; otherwise I might have to try and make one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:36:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm interested, mixed feedback and an apparent complexity level too high for a Kel tec is why I never bought a KSG.  Plus who wants to say they spent over $500 for a Kel Tec.

This one however, seems more in the Kel Tec wheelhouse, esp when it comes to price.  And it looks cooler than a KSG.  And looking cool is half the battle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top