Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2021 7:29:45 PM EDT
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Ka-Bar-Mark-I-Tactical-Knife-w--9595

Anyone have one? Do you like it?

For some reason I'm totally enamored with getting one.

Plan on using it as a utility everyday knife.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The USN Mark 1 was intended to be a utility knife.

This was basically a military version of the "standard" small hunting knife made by most knife makes before and after WWII.
The Navy decided they needed a bigger knife and adopted the USMC type knife as the USN Mark 2.

The Mark 1 makes an excellent utility knife today just like it did in WWII.
There are more modern designs and certainly more modern steels, but it's hard to beat the Mark 1 for the price.
The 1095 steel was used in both the Mark 1 and Mark 2 and is still used in today's USMC knife.
It takes and holds a good edge, and is very durable.  It will rust, but that's a matter of taking care of it.
The knife you linked to has a far better sheath then the original Mark 1 and 2 leather, and is probably a little better then the later Mark 1 and 2 fiberglass bayonet type scabbard.
The synthetic rubber handle will be far better then the original stacked leather handle and will give a better grip.

So, you can easily do worse.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info, thanks.

It just has a look that says, "Use me." I like knives like that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and like it well enough.  Its not as grippy as I would prefer and I believe it is a rat tang so I dont use it for really hard use tasks.  It does have a neat heritage and the size is great for overall camp/land chores.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top