Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2019 3:28:30 AM EDT
Always wanted one but are they junk or will they stand up to farm chores and hard work?
I've searched for the steel types used and couldn't find anything.
Pictures welcome!!

KHHI website
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#1]
They are made with truck springs from India .

They are ok for what they are ,but feel somewhat awkward all around to me .
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one.  I paid extra for the special karda & chakmak which took another year to get.  They forgot them in the original order & contacted me months later when someone checked their emails.  It was odd.....

Mine was “custom” build:  I paid for a full tang, but got their version of one, which was extra metal brazed to the rat tail tang.  I figured it would be a solid, one-piece, not cobbled together, but since it wasn’t what I expected, i’m actively trying to destroy it.  That means lots of wood hacking/chopping.  So far it’s solid.  Looks like shit & I wouldn’t buy another, unless it was their stock, non-custom version.  And I wouldn’t waste the money on the “special” chakmak & karda—they’re brick-like and unsharpenable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea; I got both of my kukris from the Gurkha base in the UK directly in the late 1980's - though they stopped direct sales of them some years back for "political" reasons

They have different "NEPAL" stamps on them. Amazing tools & 100% genuine issue.

I'd not spend money on an Indian made kukri unless it pre-dated the annexation in 1947 & was W /I\ D marked as British army issue
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one.  I paid extra for the special karda & chakmak which took another year to get.  They forgot them in the original order & contacted me months later when someone checked their emails.  It was odd.....

Mine was "custom" build:  I paid for a full tang, but got their version of one, which was extra metal brazed to the rat tail tang.  I figured it would be a solid, one-piece, not cobbled together, but since it wasn't what I expected, i'm actively trying to destroy it.  That means lots of wood hacking/chopping.  So far it's solid.  Looks like shit & I wouldn't buy another, unless it was their stock, non-custom version.  And I wouldn't waste the money on the "special" chakmak & kardathey're brick-like and unsharpenable.
View Quote
So just grab a "middle of the road" model?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out Himalayan imports as well. I picked up an M-43 model off the EE here for a great price. They are very active on blade forums selling blem and one of models but you've got to be fast. Their workmanship is top notch as is their customer service.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
They are made of 5160 spring steel recycled from truck springs.  I have ordered all of my kukris from KHHI.  They are a reputable company but one of their Kamis (Barun Baraili) went off and formed his own company (Khotang Khukri Handicraft) along with another experienced Kami with him. The top three in my picture were made by him. If I was to buy another kukri I would buy directly from him as his designs and workmanship are top notch. I think these bigger company's like KHHI have too much overhead costs and the actual knife makers earn a very small fraction of the profits.

I like kukri's from Nepal because of the way they are handmade and the chopping ability of the knife.

Here is my collection which all came from KHHI except for the Zombie Tools (Vakra) blade on the right.  My favorite is third from top which was Barun's signature blade and inspired him to go on his own because the design caught a lot of attention in the Kukri world. I eventually became Facebook friends with him so followed his story as it unfolded.  If you are interested in contacting him then message me and I'll give you his information.  I like helping the underdog and like I said he does awesome work.  Well worth it for the price and he is set up for PayPal.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#7]
@mojo7

I’d be interested in that contact. A direct Facebook link would be cool.

The second I saw your pic that one jumped out at me.

Only kukri I’ve owned was the Ontario. And while I liked it enough, the blade was just too thin and light to be useful. I look at kukris probably twice a year but always y’all myself out of it for cost vs quality reasons.

My intended use would be quartering wood chunks for the smoker, and light to medium chopping tasks on all the trees and bushes in the backyard. I think a kukri would do that work just fine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@mojo7

I’d be interested in that contact. A direct Facebook link would be cool.

The second I saw your pic that one jumped out at me.

Only kukri I’ve owned was the Ontario. And while I liked it enough, the blade was just too thin and light to be useful. I look at kukris probably twice a year but always y’all myself out of it for cost vs quality reasons.

My intended use would be quartering wood chunks for the smoker, and light to medium chopping tasks on all the trees and bushes in the backyard. I think a kukri would do that work just fine.
View Quote
Here is his Facebook link.  Barun's Facebook

I contact him through FB messenger and vouch for him, his work and credibility.  I trust the guy and you are right with wanting a kukri to do that type of work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Here is his Facebook link.  Barun's Facebook

I contact him through FB messenger and vouch for him, his work and credibility.  I trust the guy and you are right with wanting a kukri to do that type of work.
View Quote
Sweet

Like I said I always talk myself out of one not wanting to get some overhyped junk. But then when I’m bashing the spine of my cold steel recon tanto on brisket day I be like “damn I should have bought a kukri”

First world problems

How much was the one you have? And is it what a 12 inch? Do you think I’d be better suited with a 15 or what. I don’t want a full size machete but need something with enough heft to make short swift swings work.

Interested in your opinion, for someone with that many kukris I’m just going to go out on a limb and assume you probably know a thing or two about them
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#10]
@Krashdog

The third blade you are talking about is 13.5 and is called the Tri Angkhola. Barun designed the fuller cuts to reduce weight so when you compare it to a regular kukri it is amazingly light and great for a fighting knife because of the quickness of it.  If I was strictly going to use it for a cutting tool like you are describing then I would want something heavier with no cuts like the traditional blades.  I'm no expert so I would recommend contacting Barun and letting him know what you are needing and get his recommendation.

Just for reference in that picture, the top one is 18 inches and a very heavy kukri.  They use these to chop heads off of cows in their rituals.  I honestly don't know why I bought it other than it is cool but it is also a wrist breaker.  The second from the top (Sirupate type) is 15 inches and if I was to recommend one this would be it.  It is heavy enough to be a good chopper but not a wrist breaker. This is a Panawal which means it is full tang and the scales are pinned on compared to a rat-tail tang that is glued and peened (Parowal).  I think in Nepal the farmers use this type of kukri for the work you are describing.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Excellent info

I’ve friended Barun and will take your advice , thanks arfcom
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Excellent info

I’ve friended Barun and will take your advice , thanks arfcom
View Quote
@Krashdog

I sent you a email. Your inbox is full.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Deleted a few, should come through now
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#14]
@Krashdog

Still showing full but check your email.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I've gotten a few from Ex-Gurka that were proper full tang. Didn't bash them aggresively at all though, wound up gifting them.

https://nepalkhukurihouse.com/

You can apparently get some of their stuff off Amazon with Prime shipping now....I waited 6 weeks to get it mailed from Nepal...
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 2:05:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are made of 5160 spring steel recycled from truck springs.  I have ordered all of my kukris from KHHI.  They are a reputable company but one of their Kamis (Barun Baraili) went off and formed his own company (Khotang Khukri Handicraft) along with another experienced Kami with him. The top three in my picture were made by him. If I was to buy another kukri I would buy directly from him as his designs and workmanship are top notch. I think these bigger company's like KHHI have too much overhead costs and the actual knife makers earn a very small fraction of the profits.

I like kukri's from Nepal because of the way they are handmade and the chopping ability of the knife.

Here is my collection which all came from KHHI except for the Zombie Tools (Vakra) blade on the right.  My favorite is third from top which was Barun's signature blade and inspired him to go on his own because the design caught a lot of attention in the Kukri world. I eventually became Facebook friends with him so followed his story as it unfolded.  If you are interested in contacting him then message me and I'll give you his information.  I like helping the underdog and like I said he does awesome work.  Well worth it for the price and he is set up for PayPal.  
https://i.ibb.co/8YdH12t/20180211-122346.jpg
View Quote
What is your opinion of the Vakra?
I have been looking at that for a while.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top