Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2018 5:19:11 PM EDT
I've used plenty of KG 2400 series.  Never used their clear coat.  Just bought a bottle of their flat clear.  Thought about trying it to help protect a little more from scratches.  Could not find instructions on it.  Like when to apply and I assume it also gets put in the oven.  Anyone have any experience?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been on the forum for a long time and just got back on here.  I hope you got your answer already, but let me give you the answer to this just in case.

The 2400 series clear applies in a similar fashion to the colors.  However here is how I do it in my shop.  i use about a quart or so of 2400 flat clear a month.

Once the part is painted I put it in the oven for 15 mins to get the solvents out and get the base semi cured.
Take the part out to cool completely
Spray with the clear.  
Bake fully as normal.

Now the TRICK to the clear is use it in a FINE mist, do not go nearly as heavy as you would the paint itself.  For painting colors I use a .8 or a 1.0 HVLP, but when spraying clear I use a .6 and basically "FOG" the part.  You will see the color go from whatever it is to a slightly "fogged" type finish, stop there.  Let it sit for about 5 mins, then fog it once more.  After that toss it in the oven.

A .8 nozzle will work ok, be sure to push pressure up a bit and drop media flow down.  You want a very fine mist to come out of the gun, much finer spray than the paint itself.

Thickness wise let's say you got a 1mil thickness on the base color, you only want .2 mil or so of clear if that gives you any idea how little to use when misting it on.  On an AR i use about 3 ML of clear to about 15-18 ml of color.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top