Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/1/2018 11:14:45 PM EDT
Got in on the last group buy for armor.  It's been a few months and I had some time tonight so I got it all out and put it together.  Do people seriously run around and expect to be able to function in one of those things?

There is absolutely no possible way I could pack that kind of extra weight around and be effective in any sort of SHTF situation.  I'm certainly not "fit", but I'm not that out of shape either.  I carry a few extra lbs.  I'd honestly say I'm probably like the typical, active 40 yr old male.  Right in the middle of the scale between slob and fit.

Not only is it a bit uncomfortable, but just the sheer weight of the thing makes it unusable for me for any length of time.  I can't be the only one who experienced this?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't skip leg day at the gym   Only front and back plates right? Or did you go with side as well?

I imagine being a soldier you have no choice but to run and train in it.  Eventually you get stronger and used to it.  If SHTF you will make it work.  Maybe take one of the plates out.  Decide if your going to be a runner or a fighter and take out the appropriate plate  
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Wear it around as much as you can.  Your body will adapt.  I train at least once a week, usually twice in one that I have steel plates in.  Makes the ceramics feel that much lighter.  Your body is made to be load bearing.  You can do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, and we have for some time now. Train in it and it won't be as big of an issue.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me guess - Steel plates?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Ceramic level IV plates and yes, I got the side inserts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
are your plates steel or ceramic/etc? There's a reason Rangers were leaving their steel plates out in Mogadishu, throwing them over the cliff on Robert's Ridge while they tried to climb, and ST6 guys claim to have run without plates sometimes if there's a long, high elevation hike to the objective with a time crunch, etc.

Do you have a battle load of loaded mags on there as well? What about water? Neck/crotch flaps? Extra gear?

Now go on patrol in 120 degree Basrah heat and humidity for days at a time. And god-forbid being a 240 or SAW gunner or AG, or even a grenadier with a 203 and ~25 rounds of 40mm.

I don't regret it, but I sure don't miss it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
welcome to the suck.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been planning to buy a second setup and let this one be for the wife.  Just have to purchase a smaller cummerbund.  I've been dead set on level IV ceramic for the second set too, but level III+ polyethylene is looking better and better!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been planning to buy a second setup and let this one be for the wife.  Just have to purchase a smaller cummerbund.  I've been dead set on level IV ceramic for the second set too, but level III+ polyethylene is looking better and better!
View Quote
If you end up with a spare plate carrier load it up with lots of extra weight. Like loaded magazines, water, rocks in various pouches, etc. Use that to do your physical training/conditioning (which will suck a lot) and use your lighter set up for shooting and in the event you have to start dropping people. The more time you spend in it the less it's going to suck. Also, the more conditioned you are to heavier plates the more you will appreciate your expensive lightweight plates.

tldr: Haze yourself with heavy plates. Practice shooting/ drills and shtf with lighter plates.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
You get used to it.

First its that pinch you feel around the top of your shoulders. Then its the shifting around on the shoulders as you do things. Then its the front plate pressing on your sternum. Then its the front plate smacking you in the sternum when you run. Then its realizing sometimes you cant get into certain positions easily and you have to modify how you move. Then its plate carrier hop when you run. Then its sometimes being caught a little off balance from the weight when moving around. Then its sore leg muscles.

Like I said, you get used to it and/or end up so tired you dont give a fuck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:13:31 AM EDT
[#11]
While I don't compare myself to those OCONUS, and I don't wear mine very often, I do tend to wear it for 8+ hours per day at least a week at a time while working as a range instructor for my employer. I use a Grey Ghost Minimalist with SAPI plates. I don't carry much extra as far as ammo, but during warmer months I carry a water bladder on the back. The shoulder pinch is the worst for me, and after the first day and a half, I don't really feel it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
welcome to the suck.....
View Quote
Embrace the suck!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#13]
@Lapp_Dance

Do they ask that you wear it, or did you choose to be safer?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You get used to it.

First its that pinch you feel around the top of your shoulders. Then its the shifting around on the shoulders as you do things. Then its the front plate pressing on your sternum. Then its the front plate smacking you in the sternum when you run. Then its realizing sometimes you cant get into certain positions easily and you have to modify how you move. Then its plate carrier hop when you run. Then its sometimes being caught a little off balance from the weight when moving around. Then its sore leg muscles.

Like I said, you get used to it and/or end up so tired you dont give a fuck.
View Quote
And whatever you do, don't jump off of anything of any height...like a loading dock...in Iraq...while running to jump in the trucks...which were unassing the AO due to incoming.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@Lapp_Dance

Do they ask that you wear it, or did you choose to be safer?
View Quote
armor is required, I prefer plates to the level 2 soft that is provided. quals are both pistol and rifle, hence my preference for plates.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:46:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the suck! Still running Level III steel here and will be for at least a few more months; I'll probably upgrade to III+ LW this summer. Plus hydration, comms, IFAK, loaded mags, sustainment pouch, dump pouch, GPS, pistol belt, mission-specific equipment, and so on, it adds up. Quickly.

You'll get used to it. I did a couple hours of shooting and team drills in mine tonight; I notice the weight coming up from kneeling or prone but it's not really a big deal any more. I lost weight equal to nearly double my loaded PC over the last year, so it's easier than being back at my old body weight!

Train with yours, wear it regularly, wear it while at the range. Figure out where you want your gear and set your PC up to fit your preferences and your mission. Mine is set up for infantry and field work; you may want to just strip things down to mags and an IFAK if it's not for all-day wear. Wear one from 8AM to 1AM; your shoulders will be displeased the next day
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I know you got some advice here such as lighter plates, minimimal mag loads, etc. Which was for a reason.

Light carrier, like a JPC to save a pound of material.
Level III+ plates, which weigh 2-3 pounds less each.
Multicurve, stand alone, for comfort and no liner.
Side plates UHMWPE or level III+ lightweight, 6x6 not 6x8.
Or just soft armor sides, or no sides.
3 mags of rifle ammo max on carrier.
No pistol mags on carrier, just belt and only 2 on belt.

This combination is NOT heavy and does not encumber you at all. You are like 95-99% as effective. There is a reason you get advice for lighter, better fitting more minimal products. A PIG with steel plates, 6 rifle mags, and 3 pistol mags is not the answer.

Lighter III+ plates saves 6 pounds.
Lighter side plates saves 3-4 pounds.
Lighter carrier saves 1 pound.
Lighter by 1 pound each rifle mag you remove.
Dropping 3 pistol mags from your carrier could save 2 pounds.
Lighter pouches on carrier and belt saves a pound.
Lighter belt system saves half to full pound.

This stuff quickly adds up if you are not careful.

IMO, your armor should not restrict your movement in any way. You should be able to shoot in any position, climb a fence, drive, jog a mile,  with no issues. Your plate carrier should be 20-25 pounds or less. Your belt, pistol, and everything 10-15 pounds or less. Your rifle should be 7-8 pounds or less with optics and loaded mag. How much does your kit weigh now?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#18]
This is part of the reason I moved as much weight as I could to a battle belt and off the carrier. I've done a couple of classes with level IV ceramics and side plates in a Banshee. It sucks but it's not impossible. Making sure the plates/carrier are sized and fitted correctly is important.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is part of the reason I moved as much weight as I could to a battle belt and off the carrier. I've done a couple of classes with level IV ceramics and side plates in a Banshee. It sucks but it's not impossible. Making sure the plates/carrier are sized and fitted correctly is important.
View Quote
Yup. The belt is the key. Most people don’t realize your hips are far superior to your back when it comes to load bearing. Far superior.

And the Banshee, while affordable and quality, is uncomfortable. Once I got the banshee 2.0 I was shocked st how much more comfortable it was. Night and day difference.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got in on the last group buy for armor.  It's been a few months and I had some time tonight so I got it all out and put it together.  Do people seriously run around and expect to be able to function in one of those things?

There is absolutely no possible way I could pack that kind of extra weight around and be effective in any sort of SHTF situation.  I'm certainly not "fit", but I'm not that out of shape either.  I carry a few extra lbs.  I'd honestly say I'm probably like the typical, active 40 yr old male.  Right in the middle of the scale between slob and fit.

Not only is it a bit uncomfortable, but just the sheer weight of the thing makes it unusable for me for any length of time.  I can't be the only one who experienced this?
View Quote

See, it’s this thing called training.

Let’s put it politely- your not fit, or kind of fit.  Kind of fit is a 13 minute mile run time with plates, gun belt, assault pack with water and rifle.  Fit is doing workouts in the carrier with plates to build strength and comfort with the weight. I’m your age.  Do those things a few times you’ll get the swing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Let’s put it politely- your not fit, or kind of fit.  Kind of fit is a 13 mile run time with plates, gun belt, assault pack with water and rifle. Fit is doing workouts in the carrier with plates to build strength and comfort with the weight. I’m your age.  Do those things a few times you’ll get the swing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let’s put it politely- your not fit, or kind of fit.  Kind of fit is a 13 mile run time with plates, gun belt, assault pack with water and rifle. Fit is doing workouts in the carrier with plates to build strength and comfort with the weight. I’m your age.  Do those things a few times you’ll get the swing.
That's an interesting statement.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
BETA MALE
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Let’s put it politely- your not fit, or kind of fit.  Kind of fit is a 13 mile run time with plates, gun belt, assault pack with water and rifle.  Fit is doing workouts in the carrier with plates to build strength and comfort with the weight. I’m your age.  Do those things a few times you’ll get the swing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let’s put it politely- your not fit, or kind of fit.  Kind of fit is a 13 mile run time with plates, gun belt, assault pack with water and rifle.  Fit is doing workouts in the carrier with plates to build strength and comfort with the weight. I’m your age.  Do those things a few times you’ll get the swing.
LOL!  You don't have to put it nicely.  I clearly stated "I'm certainly not "fit""!  Trust me, no one knows this or is more aware of it than me!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]
If your suckin Butter milk now....

Wait til you hit your 50's....
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I did the same thing a few years ago.  Those cheaper AR1500 steel plates at half the price and triple the weight is not worth it.  I figured I'd need to survive half a dozen hits, not hundreds of hits.  I sold it off, and got some nice ceramic armor, and very happy at being ultra light.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]
If the weight of the carrier and plates is bugging you,  have you ever even considered what the typical grunt's ruck weighs these days?

I'm not in the service but when I go for a morning exercise walk I put on my molle pack loaded with 50 pounds of plate weights in it and walk up and down a high rise bridge.  It's about a two mile walk.    I'm 52.  Oh, I carry a 10 pound dumbbell in each hand, too.

Man up, buttercup.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ceramic level IV plates and yes, I got the side inserts.
View Quote
My setup originally was with front, back and side esapis but the weight was pretty crazy. I still have them but switch to regular sapi front and back with no side plates and it's way more manageable. I figure the odds of encountering a robber sporting a rifle with armor piercing rounds is pretty slim.

Also the more you train with your gear the less you notice the weight. If you can't get to the range put it on and donchaorea around the house, it's a good workout plus you will get us d to the gear faster.

Another option to consider, if applicable is to remove unnecessary weight like mag, for home defense you probably only need a 2-3 extra, not 6+ that you see soldiers carrying. Remove combat knifes, tools, backup pistols, etc.... put that spare gear on a battle belt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Solved my problem!  Bought some polyethylene plates off the EE

Seriously though, I do appreciate all the suggestions.  I think removing the side plates will make a huge difference as well as optimizing the plate carriers fit.  What would help the most would be to lose at least 20 lbs myself!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Your overall goal should be to keep the thing as light as possible. Regular people try to model their gear after Mil guys but in reality, you don't need half the shit they do so why carry the extra weight and bulk. Keeping things minimal will drastically lighten your carrier. I'm in the camp of a few mags on the carrier, med kit, maybe a small GP pouch and that's pretty much good. Other shit can get thrown into an assault pack if you really need it. The hips are good for carrying weight but that doesn't mean you should if you don't have to. You can buy expensive lightweight plates but if you are still carrying around 10 pounds of extra shit than whats the point? Also, a 3L water bladder is heavier than most realize. If you don't need water on you all the time consider using the hydration pouch in an assault pack or going with a small 1L bladder on your carrier.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If your suckin Butter milk now....

https://i.imgur.com/PrkXVwa.jpg

Wait til you hit your 50's....
View Quote
I'm 33 and no longer doing 14 hour days of manual labor. Now I do 5 miles in armor and my knee hurts for 2 days.

I'm hoping for cyborg parts in 17 years.

To the OP.

Starting to wear armor in your 40s has to suck. It will take you a while to get used to it. Starting in your teens is how a lot of us started and staying in shape is easier than getting in shape at your age.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that supposed to be a 13 minute mile in that gear, or 13 miles.

A 13 minute mile is a fast walk
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And whatever you do, don't jump off of anything of any height...like a loading dock...in Iraq...while running to jump in the trucks...which were unassing the AO due to incoming.
View Quote
I jumped off a Jersey barrier in Baghdad in '09 due to incoming. My back still hasn't recovered. I don't think it ever will. IOTV is the devil.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Like others have said, you get used to it.  However the older I get, the more it takes its toll.  I did almost 14 hours on my feet in full gear at Poli Charki prison in AFG last year, and my back still hurts.  I'm always on the lookout for lighter/better options.  I try to remember that the pain is for a purpose.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Going from 7 pound plates to something under 3 pounds each makes way more difference than you would expect.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#35]
It should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable

I have a JPC and lightweight lvl 3+ plates and I run with it on sometimes. Like others have said, most of us started out in our teens and just got used to the weight. I’m 33 now and feel great still!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Heh, heh, interesting responses.  I don't know you from Adam, so I'm not gonna judge.  But I will say two things.  First read what DevL wrote again; that's excellent advice on what weight to shoot for on your load out.  Maybe 12-14 lbs on the PC, with another 12-15 on the belt line and a rifle around 8 lbs.  So shoot for 25 lbs of gear plus rifle.

You gotta do functional workouts, not "body building".  Wear the weighted PC (with your old plates) on walks/runs, and then do intervals on a stair-stepper type device (or just stairs if that's all you have).  Substitute ruck with 20-30 lbs.  Start with one "loaded" work out a week.  Then try to maintain at least two per week.  I rotate them through speed work, hill repeats, and long distance runs.  But start with a good "unweighted" running base of at least 12 weeks before attempting.  More if possible.

Wear good running shoes, made for hard surface concrete and asphalt, not hiking boots.  If you don't have good cushioning you can really blow out your knees and other shit.

To the OP, yeah this shit is heavy; it takes some work to be functional in it.  But with the right combination of kit and training, it can be done.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#37]
The Murph is your friend, OP
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe consider a tiered approach. I guess some people call it "gear stacking".

Look into an assault panel or chest rig that you can attach to your PC. That way your PC consists of plates and carrier and everything else is QD.

Swimmers cut plates are more comfortable/ergonomic and lighter.

Ditch the side plates unless you're kicking in doors or kicking dirt looking for IEDs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I sure as hell can't move, run, walk, or squat in this stuff because it is very heavy and cumbersome so I'll pawn it off on my wife and buy something smaller and light weight. That sounds like a winner.

Hit the gym.
Train legs like a madman.
Do weight based cardio.
Train in your gear.
Wear it frequently and wear it often.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I sure as hell can't move, run, walk, or squat in this stuff because it is very heavy and cumbersome so I'll pawn it off on my wife and buy something smaller and light weight. That sounds like a winner.

Hit the gym.
Do weight based cardio.
Train in your gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hit the gym.
Do weight based cardio.
Train in your gear.
LOL, yep that's what I was thinking.  It's more of a "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you approach."  If she is wearing those and I have the polyethylene, she'll definitely get tired before me so I can sit her in a good spot to cover for me and make my get away!  Pretty smart, eh!

Your quote was my outlook BEFORE I actually put the damn things on and saw how heavy they are.  I won't be pawning them off on my wife, I'll keep them as an extra and buy her some polyethylene or sell to fund her some.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Try ceramic plates and a battle belt. Works much better for my casual tier 9 fifty year old ass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I know you got some advice here such as lighter plates, minimimal mag loads, etc. Which was for a reason.

Light carrier, like a JPC to save a pound of material.
Level III+ plates, which weigh 2-3 pounds less each.
Multicurve, stand alone, for comfort and no liner.
Side plates UHMWPE or level III+ lightweight, 6x6 not 6x8.
Or just soft armor sides, or no sides.
3 mags of rifle ammo max on carrier.
No pistol mags on carrier, just belt and only 2 on belt.

This combination is NOT heavy and does not encumber you at all. You are like 95-99% as effective. There is a reason you get advice for lighter, better fitting more minimal products. A PIG with steel plates, 6 rifle mags, and 3 pistol mags is not the answer.

Lighter III+ plates saves 6 pounds.
Lighter side plates saves 3-4 pounds.
Lighter carrier saves 1 pound.
Lighter by 1 pound each rifle mag you remove.
Dropping 3 pistol mags from your carrier could save 2 pounds.
Lighter pouches on carrier and belt saves a pound.
Lighter belt system saves half to full pound.

This stuff quickly adds up if you are not careful.

IMO, your armor should not restrict your movement in any way. You should be able to shoot in any position, climb a fence, drive, jog a mile,  with no issues. Your plate carrier should be 20-25 pounds or less. Your belt, pistol, and everything 10-15 pounds or less. Your rifle should be 7-8 pounds or less with optics and loaded mag. How much does your kit weigh now?
View Quote
What level 3+ plates do you recommend? @DevL
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Training. That's all. I always squatted heavy, but for cardio I trained mostly with sprints in my gear, and any run and gun courses I gave it my all moving from station to station  By the time I tried out a mile I was just under an 8 minute mile with 30lbs. Eventually got it down 6:30 but I wanted to die. I lost that endurance really quickly. I was seriously obsessed with being a "super soldier" in the past and I cannot do that now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Here'e the reality of it.  My ass ain't working out! LOL I have been slowly losing a few lbs over the last 6 months through my diet, but if I have to work out, I'd just as soon be fat.  There are a number of reasons for it.  Mostly that I'm lazy, but also that I despise working out.  I mean, that is time I could be on arfcom bitching that I'm not fit enough to use my new bullet proof vest!

I was just surprised at how heavy they actually are and how much it seems to limit mobility.  For me, that particular carrier and plates would be a huge liability if a situation ever arises that I have to be in a gun battle which I know is a very unlikely thing to happen.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Not DevL but he uses Hesco 3610s. I like those and high com makes a guardian 3 series that's equivalent and is cheaper with all the 20% codes they have. Remember the reason level IV plates are often so cheap is because they only have to stop 1 M2 round. Level III plates have to stop several M80 rounds. Look for a plate that's boron carbide and UHMWPE composite that's the most expensive way to make a plate but it's the lightest weight. Supposedly There's a new way to make unidirectional PE that improves the molecular allignment enough to stop M855 out of 16 and 18in barrels. When that makes it to the market that's what to go with.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here'e the reality of it.  My ass ain't working out! LOL I have been slowly losing a few lbs over the last 6 months through my diet, but if I have to work out, I'd just as soon be fat.  There are a number of reasons for it.  Mostly that I'm lazy, but also that I despise working out.  I mean, that is time I could be on arfcom bitching that I'm not fit enough to use my new bullet proof vest!

I was just surprised at how heavy they actually are and how much it seems to limit mobility.  For me, that particular carrier and plates would be a huge liability if a situation ever arises that I have to be in a gun battle which I know is a very unlikely thing to happen.
View Quote
Then realistically we can't help you.  If you are in bad shape and unwilling to get better, all the lightweight gear in the world isn't going to help as you are a liability to yourself were you ever to need it.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just pointing out the facts.  I'm not the lightest guy around and could lose some weight, but full battle rattle isn't a chore for me when immediately put on.  When it comes to humping gear, it's not how much you weigh (although it can give you a clue) but how fit you are.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I think no matter who acts like a tough guy or the strongest male out there, we all thought the same thing the first time we tried on plates. I'm a good bit young than you and in shape for the most part, and I found it absurd as well. However after a few days or wearing and excercises, I got used to it quick. And I still have AR500 plates! No side plates though.

Recently got to wear my brothers rig (.mil) with ceramic plates and didn't notice THAT much difference. But I think I will be upgrading eventually.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Training. That's all. I always squatted heavy, but for cardio I trained mostly with sprints in my gear, and any run and gun courses I gave it my all moving from station to station  By the time I tried out a mile I was just under an 8 minute mile with 30lbs. Eventually got it down 6:30 but I wanted to die. I lost that endurance really quickly. I was seriously obsessed with being a "super soldier" in the past and I cannot do that now.
View Quote
Lol, the miles do add up. 6:30 with 30lbs is booking it. That might be my springtime goal. I'm much better about staying on my toes when I'm sprinting which helps my knee.

I think I might be done with the 10 mile runs with 30lbs. At least on pavement.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Went to Iraq when I was 41, a civilian .

Full Interceptor and large ceramic plates.

Wore it everyday, sometimes 16 hours a day , 7 days a week.

You get use to it, when your life is on the line....didn't mind it and it didn't get in the way....

You should be able to man up and do what is necessary.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not DevL but he uses Hesco 3610s. I like those and high com makes a guardian 3 series that's equivalent and is cheaper with all the 20% codes they have. Remember the reason level IV plates are often so cheap is because they only have to stop 1 M2 round. Level III plates have to stop several M80 rounds. Look for a plate that's boron carbide and UHMWPE composite that's the most expensive way to make a plate but it's the lightest weight. Supposedly There's a new way to make unidirectional PE that improves the molecular allignment enough to stop M855 out of 16 and 18in barrels. When that makes it to the market that's what to go with.
View Quote
Thanks!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top