Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2019 2:48:55 PM EDT
This has been one of my grail guns for a while, along with the Ruger No. 1 in 416 Remington Magnum which I already have.  They have been very, very hard to find.  I am not sure if Winchester just doesn't make very many of them, or if they're one of those guns that just gets scooped up every time they appear in stock somewhere.  They come with a case hardened receiver, grade III/IV walnut, pistol grip stock, and 24" blued octagon barrel.

It just got shipped, so it isn't in my hands yet.  I was about to get a Browning BLR White Gold Medallion in 7mm-08 when I happened upon this and found myself in shock because they're never in stock anywhere.  It'll make a nice deer gun in the fall.  Not my rifle, but a picture of the gun itself:

Link Posted: 6/24/2019 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.  I have one.  It is heavy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice.  I have one.  It is heavy.
View Quote
Yeah, I think I saw it weighs almost 10lb if I'm correct?  How does yours shoot?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, I think I saw it weighs almost 10lb if I'm correct?  How does yours shoot?
View Quote
Just as well as my eyes allow.

I should buy a peep sight...……...
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Comment withdrawn as erroneous.

Much shame, many embarrass.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Toggle action.

Very nice rifle, but it's still a toggle action.
View Quote
The 1886 IS NOT a toggle action. It uses two vertically oriented locking bars that engage the rear of the bolt. Where the 1876 is a larger version of the 1873 toggle action built to handle cartridges larger than the 44-40,38-40, ie the 45.70, the 1892 model is a reduced sized analog of the 1886 built to handle smaller pistol cartridges. Just a little FYI for you Him. Not meant as a dis.

@Him

ETA: If you look closely at OP's first picture, you can see a sliver of silver colored metal above and below the receiver body in line with the hinge for the lever.

ETA2: OP get yourself a Marble's windage and elevation tang peep for that beautiful shootin iron. It'll look great and give you all the accuracy you'll need for the gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The 1886 IS NOT a toggle action. It uses two vertically oriented locking bars that engage the rear of the bolt. Where the 1876 is a larger version of the 1873 toggle action built to handle cartridges larger than the 44-40,38-40, ie the 45.70, the 1892 model is a reduced sized analog of the 1886 built to handle smaller pistol cartridges. Just a little FYI for you Him. Not meant as a dis.

@Him

ETA: If you look closely at OP's first picture, you can see a sliver of silver colored metal above and below the receiver body in line with the hinge for the lever.

ETA2: OP get yourself a Marble's windage and elevation tang peep for that beautiful shootin iron. It'll look great and give you all the accuracy you'll need for the gun.
View Quote
Yep, the 1886 has an insanely strong action.  A toggle it is not.  I believe I read somewhere that the current 1886 made by Winchester (Miroku) can handle rounds up to 52,000 PSI..?  Not quite No. 1 territory, but high for a lever action.

And I was actually looking at getting those Marble sights.  Those are the ones that mount right behind the safety correct?  Not the receiver or barrel mounted ones.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Strong enough action to hunt any land animal on the Earth, elephant included.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=35
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
That’s a classy rifle right there!

What’s it chambered in?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That’s a classy rifle right there!

What’s it chambered in?
View Quote
Thanks!

It's chambered in 45-70 Govt.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@Him

View Quote
OOPS!

I will delete my eroneous comment.

Thank you for rescuing me from my own ignorance.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Even better, definitely grail gun territory !
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, the 1886 has an insanely strong action.  A toggle it is not.  I believe I read somewhere that the current 1886 made by Winchester (Miroku) can handle rounds up to 52,000 PSI..?  Not quite No. 1 territory, but high for a lever action.

And I was actually looking at getting those Marble sights.  Those are the ones that mount right behind the safety correct?  Not the receiver or barrel mounted ones.
View Quote
See above.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
See above.
View Quote
No worries at all!
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd have a hard time spending that much on a new Winchester.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd have a hard time spending that much on a new Winchester.
View Quote
I can definitely see the price of it being a deterrent for most.  It's not a cheap gun.  But the workmanship and quality that Miroku put into it are second to none.  I'm a quality over quantity type of person, so I'd rather have one really nice lever action than 5 different ones.  I sold my BLR and my 1886 Short Rifle with the intent to just get this one or a BLR Medallion if I couldn't find this 1886 anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
OP please see the link below. And yes it is a TANG MOUNTED sight. Mounts on the wrist of the stock behind the hammer. This may be a problem however if the rifle has one of the newer tang mounted safeties. Sent me a pic of the top of the rifle from the action to stock and I'll let you know.

If it does have a tang safety, you still have the option of using a Redfield or Williams receiver mounted peep sight. They work just as well imho, and you might have the added benefit of the receiver already being drilled and tapped depending on the rifle. Let me know if I can help.

http://www.marblearms.com/universal-rear-sights.html

ETA: Looked up that rifle and it does have a tang safety (assuming new or current production) AND according to the web site IT IS DRILLED AND TAPPED FOR A RECEIVER SIGHT. That brings up the following options: Redfield, Williams, Lyman all make receiver sights for the 1886. And there are sources for vintage sights from all of the above. And there are a few custom makers like Soule and some others I can't remember at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OP please see the link below. And yes it is a TANG MOUNTED sight. Mounts on the wrist of the stock behind the hammer. This may be a problem however if the rifle has one of the newer tang mounted safeties. Sent me a pic of the top of the rifle from the action to stock and I'll let you know.

If it does have a tang safety, you still have the option of using a Redfield or Williams receiver mounted peep sight. They work just as well imho, and you might have the added benefit of the receiver already being drilled and tapped depending on the rifle. Let me know if I can help.

http://www.marblearms.com/universal-rear-sights.html

ETA: Looked up that rifle and it does have a tang safety (assuming new or current production) AND according to the web site IT IS DRILLED AND TAPPED FOR A RECEIVER SIGHT. That brings up the following options: Redfield, Williams, Lyman all make receiver sights for the 1886. And there are sources for vintage sights from all of the above. And there are a few custom makers like Soule and some others I can't remember at the moment.
View Quote
Thank you for the help!  I couldn't find any Lyman sights for the 1886, but I do see Williams has them.  Would you recommend the Williams sight or the Marble rear bullseye sight?  Like you mentioned, the Williams goes on the receiver.  The bullseye sight would go towards the rear of the barrel and replace the buckhorn sight that comes on the rifle.  This will serve as a deer rifle so I'd prefer whichever would be more useful for hunting.  My old 1886SR had the buckhorn sight and it was fine for regular shooting, but a pain to use when hunting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I would always opt for the receiver sight over the rear barrel mounted sight. For the simple reason that it gives you a longer sight radius. Tang mounts are the longest but we've already determined that's a no go. Lyman, Redfield, and Williams are all very good sights. I would suggest some web browsing at long range hunter, Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette sites for user input on the various models. Just be sure your new sight has the ability to use interchangeable apertures as you will want smaller ones for close and more precise shooting, and larger ones for longer distances. You know, like the peep on the AR rear sight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Buffalo Arms make a sight called the Providence 21 received sight, a copy of the old Lyman model 21. While it requires tapping, it gives a sight comparable to a tang sight that is adjustable.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#20]
That is gorgeous!
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is gorgeous!
View Quote
It sure is. Congrats OP.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
There is NOTHING like  good 1886 action.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#23]
That’s gonna be a beautiful rifle OP. Please post pics when you get it .
Also that curved buttplate is going to have some bite to it with heavy loads .
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That’s gonna be a beautiful rifle OP. Please post pics when you get it .
Also that curved buttplate is going to have some bite to it with heavy loads .
View Quote
Will do!  I'm supposed to go pick it up later today from my FFL.  When I get it home I'll post some photos!  And yeah it'll be a bit stout with the crescent buttplate.  I had a 1886 Short Rifle previously and that also had the crescent buttplate.  It wasn't bad shooting it standing, but off a bench it kicked you pretty good if you had hot loads in it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Where are the pics ?!!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:43:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Where are the pics ?!!!
View Quote
My apologies!  I was out of town for the holiday and forgot to put some up before I left.  Attached are some photos of the gun.  She's a beauty.

I should note, the barrel looks like it's case hardened in the photos, but it isn't.  It's just dry oil splotches on it.

Link Posted: 7/7/2019 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#27]
You need a better potato.  We wanna seeeeeeee that gorgeous thing!

BTW: you are going to love that rifle.  The 1886 is a fantastic action.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Just wow ! When are you going to shoot it ?
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I took it at night and the lights in my living room are spaced out a bit so I didn't have great lighting.  I'll try and get some better ones during the day

Quoted:
Just wow ! When are you going to shoot it ?
Hopefully within the next couple of weeks if weather permits it.  I normally shoot on state land so I'd be out in the middle of the sun and it's been in the high 80s here lately.  I may go with my buddy to his gun club soon where we can shoot underneath awnings.  I'm not a fan of public ranges since I've had a few bad experiences at them (unsafe shooters, mainly), so I don't get out shooting as much as I'd like anymore since I don't go to those.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Think I picked one up at about the same time as you, been eyeballing the distributor for close to a year and a half and they finally received a shipment of 4 rifles...  It's a beautiful and heavy rifle, I would have chosen to get a regular model and saved a few dollars just so I wouldn't kick myself everytime I scratch or gouge it but, Winchester doesn't offer a base model.  (Eyeballing the Henry Long Ranger in 6.5cm now.)

I ordered an old Redfield 70FT off of eBay for it but it was a modified Winchester 70 rear receiver sight that was Bubba'smithed...  So returned it and the search continues, modifying a sight to fit from another rifle isn't a bad idea if done properly and PROFESSIONALY.   The Lyman 21 repro had good reviews, just not sure if I want to drill more holes in it.  Some disable the tang safety and mount a peep, no issues but from handling a few other rifles the tang mounted sights, it affects grip which makes  handling a little cumbersome.

Haven't shot it yet but the rebounding hammer is easily disabled if needed, if you have cash and patience then you could source a B-86 or older half cock hammer and trigger parts.  (My 3rd Winchester with the tang safety and rebounding hammer setup. Have 3ea Rossi 92's as well and the Winchesters actions are smoother and rifles are heavier, need to accuracy test them for comparison. )
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Think I picked one up at about the same time as you, been eyeballing the distributor for close to a year and a half and they finally received a shipment of 4 rifles...  It's a beautiful and heavy rifle, I would have chosen to get a regular model and saved a few dollars just so I wouldn't kick myself everytime I scratch or gouge it but, Winchester doesn't offer a base model.  (Eyeballing the Henry Long Ranger in 6.5cm now.)

I ordered an old Redfield 70FT off of eBay for it but it was a modified Winchester 70 rear receiver sight that was Bubba'smithed...  So returned it and the search continues, modifying a sight to fit from another rifle isn't a bad idea if done properly and PROFESSIONALY.   The Lyman 21 repro had good reviews, just not sure if I want to drill more holes in it.  Some disable the tang safety and mount a peep, no issues but from handling a few other rifles the tang mounted sights, it affects grip which makes  handling a little cumbersome.

Haven't shot it yet but the rebounding hammer is easily disabled if needed, if you have cash and patience then you could source a B-86 or older half cock hammer and trigger parts.  (My 3rd Winchester with the tang safety and rebounding hammer setup. Have 3ea Rossi 92's as well and the Winchesters actions are smoother and rifles are heavier, need to accuracy test them for comparison. )
View Quote
They actually do have a regular model!  The 1886 Short Rifle would be the base version: http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1886/model-1886-current-products/model-1886-short-rifle.html.  The quality between them is the same, you just pay for some extra cosmetic stuff between it and the one we got: mainly the pistol grip, grade III/IV walnut stock, octagon barrel, and case hardened receiver.

If yours is unfired you could probably sell it for around what you paid since they're hard to find as it is, then get the regular model and save some money!

It's a beautiful gun for sure, but it will still be accompanying me into the woods for deer hunting, most likely
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I can definitely see the price of it being a deterrent for most.  It's not a cheap gun.  But the workmanship and quality that Miroku put into it are second to none.  I'm a quality over quantity type of person, so I'd rather have one really nice lever action than 5 different ones.  I sold my BLR and my 1886 Short Rifle with the intent to just get this one or a BLR Medallion if I couldn't find this 1886 anywhere.
View Quote
Famous
Last
Words

Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Look at MVA sights before you buy one of the other tang sights mentioned. They have some options for the new 1886 Winchesters. All steel no aluminum in their sights like most of the other companies use now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Famous
Last
Words

https://i.imgur.com/Q5PERWY.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Famous
Last
Words

https://i.imgur.com/Q5PERWY.jpg
Beautiful rifles!  Anything specific there that you prefer over the others or thats a favorite?

Quoted:
Look at MVA sights before you buy one of the other tang sights mentioned. They have some options for the new 1886 Winchesters. All steel no aluminum in their sights like most of the other companies use now.
I actually just got some new sights for it.  Not tang sights, but Marble sights to replace the factory sights.  I got the rear bullseye sight and a fiber optic front sight.  I had to get a sight pusher too, so I am waiting for that to come in the mail.  It's on backorder.  I got the rear bullseye sight in, but as I was pushing the front sight in my brass dowel rod slipped when I hit it and broke the fiber optic piece off the front sight.  So I had to order a new front sight, and then I ordered the sight pusher so I can install it without breaking something
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#35]
My Williams sight pusher was on backorder, so I cancelled it and got something called a Wyoming Sight Pusher that's supposedly excellent.  Once I get that and get my front sight on I'll post some clearer pictures.  Going to be weird having a lever gun with a fiber optic front sight, but I need to be able to see my front sight when using this thing for hunting
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Beautiful rifles!  Anything specific there that you prefer over the others or thats a favorite?
View Quote
The stainless Rossi .357 carbine is the sexiest. 1873 is like the slightly less hot, taller sister that won't kiss and tell.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That is a beautiful 1886.

I have a Miroku 1886 Carbine and love it, Ironically I also bought a Ruger No 1 ( .458 Lott )

Both of them are Thumpers, and are darned accurate.

Don't Hot Rod the reloads to Hot... and you will certainly know when the action feels stiff.

FWIW, H322 has always given me outstanding performance in the 1886.
View Quote
Thanks!  I also have a big bore No. 1, although mine is in 416 Remington Magnum.  I don't reload myself.  I know most factory stuff I get for it should be fine.  I used to have a No. 1 in 45-70 and my buddy gave me some "Ruger No. 1 only" loads for it.  I didn't shoot them all through it before I sold it, so I have a few still laying around .  I'll probably give them back to him as I don't want to blow my 1886 up lol.  I know the Miroku 1886 actions are stronger than the Marlins and I thought I read they're rated up to 52,000psi or something?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Them new pics!  YEAH!!!  AWESOME!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I still intend to get you guys better pictures of the rifle.  Until then, here's the new sights.  Don't fear as the marks on the barrel in the first picture are just from the brass punch.  I'll clean those up eventually.

Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Very Nice Rifle.  I've been dreaming of a new Winchester.  Where did you buy this '86??
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Very Nice Rifle.  I've been dreaming of a new Winchester.  Where did you buy this '86??
View Quote
Thank you!  I got it off Gunbroker.  They were extremely, extremely hard to find and I had to wait a while for one to pop up.  Now it seems like they're showing up a bit more, but they command a premium.  Lately I've seen some selling for over MSRP on Gunbroker.  I was lucky enough to get it for a really good deal before the prices started inflating.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#44]
@desertmoon

Non potato pics as requested

Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes!  That is real damn nice!!!!!! Enjoy in good health!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE IT!
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Thats a great looking 1886!
I keep hoping they'll bring out an 1886 in the same style as the 1873 Deluxe Sporting they brought out last year. Shotgun butt, half octagon/half round barrel. Though maybe a full octagon would be better for the heavy calibers the 1886 comes in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#47]
My Winchester 1886 Saddle-Ring Carbine.

Made in 1905.

45/90 Winchester.

Nice bore (little dark) - no rust or pitting - nice wood with one small crack in the forend and some "engraving" ("100 pct" in dots).

Rear sight is not correct - correct carbine sight located and ordered.

Fairly rare.

"Cody Letter" sent for.

Pretty nice old gun .............

Link Posted: 8/16/2019 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Very nice, I love the classic Winchester rifles!  Is it able to handle the 45-90 Express?
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Very nice, I love the classic Winchester rifles!  Is it able to handle the 45-90 Express?
View Quote
Don't know how it compares to the 45-90 Winchester.

I believe the 45-90 Sharps is compatible with the 45-90 Winchester.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Post pics of your African safari, OK?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top