Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 7:43:46 PM EDT
Sent it off a few weeks ago.  Dana lightened the internal rails, gas block and the bolt.  I lost about a half pound having the work done. Turned out really well!!

Thanks Dana!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a lot of weight removed!
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man!  That build came out great!  I seriously love the dimpling on your barrel.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Half a pound is a serious improvement. How much did the work cost?

I'm leery of cutting a bunch of metal off the internal bits affecting durability. The FN SCAR purposely developed around a heavy carrier to slow the cyclic rate and increase reliability, and the ACR design seems similar. I know competitive shooters reduce carrier mass for less muzzle movement, but they also correspondingly reduce gas with adjustable gas blocks. Even still they run on the ragged edge of reliability having to adjust gas settings for different loads and environmental conditions.

Also, my ACR SBR already needs a ton of extractor pressure to run (extra power extractor spring and 0-ring), so I'd be worried about decreased dwell time with a lighter carrier.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I paid about $250 for the work.  The reliability issue is something Dana can answer. Dana has spent a ton of time perfecting his work, so I would assume he wouldn’t do the work if he couldn’t make it reliable. I already have over 10k suppressed and unsuppressed through my rifle. It’s never skipped a beat.  Let’s hope there is many more to come.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Half a pound is a serious improvement. How much did the work cost?

I'm leery of cutting a bunch of metal off the internal bits affecting durability. The FN SCAR purposely developed around a heavy carrier to slow the cyclic rate and increase reliability, and the ACR design seems similar. I know competitive shooters reduce carrier mass for less muzzle movement, but they also correspondingly reduce gas with adjustable gas blocks. Even still they run on the ragged edge of reliability having to adjust gas settings for different loads and environmental conditions.

Also, my ACR SBR already needs a ton of extractor pressure to run (extra power extractor spring and 0-ring), so I'd be worried about decreased dwell time with a lighter carrier.
View Quote
Are you shooting m193 ammo?   None of my rifles require anything g special done to the bolt to run good.

As far as the reliability on the bolts.  The acr comes with a 6.8mm bolt carrier so the added mass isn’t needed for 5.56 and 300blk.   To be 100% honest, during testing I expected for the blemished bolt I was cutting down to fail.

Once I shot it and did the initial tests I ended up cutting a good one for myself because I liked it so much.   The bolts show no signs of being overgassed versus a full weight bolt and have the same reliability.

As far as a heavy carrier being needed for reliability, I’ve shot with a rifle caked in salt (worse than sand since it dissolves and gets deeper into the rifle). Not only did it erode any parkerized finish but it required me to completely tear the rifle down to small parts.   The acr functioned 100% with a 10 ounce bolt in 5.56.  We shot probably 100 rounds or so after that.  The bolt catch actually failed before the rifle did.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Are you shooting m193 ammo?   None of my rifles require anything g special done to the bolt to run good.

As far as the reliability on the bolts.  The acr comes with a 6.8mm bolt carrier so the added mass isn't needed for 5.56 and 300blk.   To be 100% honest, during testing I expected for the blemished bolt I was cutting down to fail.

Once I shot it and did the initial tests I ended up cutting a good one for myself because I liked it so much.   The bolts show no signs of being overgassed versus a full weight bolt and have the same reliability.

As far as a heavy carrier being needed for reliability, I've shot with a rifle caked in salt (worse than sand since it dissolves and gets deeper into the rifle). Not only did it erode any parkerized finish but it required me to completely tear the rifle down to small parts.   The acr functioned 100% with a 10 ounce bolt in 5.56.  We shot probably 100 rounds or so after that.  The bolt catch actually failed before the rifle did.
View Quote
Commercial spec Federal American Eagle 62gr .223 (red/black box). Never had an issue until I put in the factory 10" barrel and immediately started having failures to extract. Asked about it on the FB group and was told it was a common issue with the 10" barrel since BM uses rifle spec extractor springs and blue extractor inserts. O-ring fixed the failures to extract.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does he dimple any other types of barrels?
View Quote
I had the barrel dimpled by Marvin Pitts. I don’t know if Dana dimples barrels. Shoot him an email.

On a side note, it took over 6 months for Marvin to dimple my barrel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the tools to dimple a barrel, I’ve just never tried.  I wouldn’t be afraid to do it.  Once I burn through my next batch of projects I’d like to try on some spare factory barrels since I have a bunch here
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
@dwc032 How's the gun shooting after the work?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@dwc032 How's the gun shooting after the work?
View Quote
It’s been awesome!  I put probably 1500 rounds through it since I got it back.  I have somewhere near 13k through the rifle as of today.  I bought bigdogs light weight trunnion and can’t wait to install it. Should lighten it up by another 5 ounces. I will be installing a 10.5” barrel instead of my 14.5 dimpled barrel. Next will be bigdogs lower when he gets them done. I’ll keep you guys updated on my ACR.

On a side note, my AAC SDN6 suppressor has about 10k through it. I just sent it back to AAC to have it recerakoted.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]
So if my math is correct, you've saved about 1lb with Dana's work + trunnion?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So if my math is correct, you've saved about 1lb with Dana's work + trunnion?
View Quote
At this point yes.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:Should lighten it up by another .5 pounds.
View Quote
That number is off (not possible).
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#15]
It will drop the weight by about 5 ounces.

It was something like 8.3 ounces for stock versus 3.3 ounces with an aero barrel nut.    If you use an aluminum barrel nut it would be 2.7 or so.

Here’s the numbers of the weight reduction overall in ounces.

Bolt-5.1
Trunnion-5
Gas block, internal rails-2

You can gain some on the handguard, qd sling loop, folding charging handle and a couple other small places.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That number is off (not possible).
View Quote
I meant to say ounces not pounds. I will edit my post.

Obviously that 5 ounces was a guess bro. So if we’re getting technical, your right not exactly 5 ounces.

By the way,  the weight reduction on my ACR are numbers that I came up with.  I have not been told by anyone the exact figures. When I get time, and the ACR is totally torn apart, I will weigh all the stock parts versus the aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#17]
if you got that much into your acr, buy the Sprinco srings for the ejector and their 5-coil extractor spring and never look back!  Those should be mandatory on any acr running a 10.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:Obviously that 5 ounces was a guess bro. So if we’re getting technical, your right not exactly 5 ounces.
View Quote
You originally said .5 pounds, so I wasn’t objecting to 5 ounces. As the designer of the original non-QD trunnion, I just happened to know 1/2 lb isn’t possible, that’s all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I got the trunnion from Templar Precision and installed it today. I am still waiting on my barrel to come back from my local gunsmith. Once I get my barrel back, I will post pics of the rifle all back together. Install of the trunnion was simple and it fit like a glove!!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my barrel back and installed. Went out and put a few rounds through it. Works perfect.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#21]
How much weight was taken off the barrel and how long is it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How much weight was taken off the barrel and how long is it?
View Quote
I dont know the exact weight reduction with being dimpled, shortened to 14.5, and having the piston set up lightened. Maybe 2 ounces at most?  With all the work I've had done to it, it definately feels lighter.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I would sure hope so! Lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top