Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2024 7:26:22 PM EDT
OK - does this thing have that weak of a pin?  I was only running 9mm cases through it.  I ordered 4 of the regular pins and 4 of the undersize flash hole pins - but this sucks, now I have to wait a week to get going again.  Any feedback as to how to ensure not to break pins?  I'm worried this will be a common occurrence.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m IN on this topic, was getting ready to buy this press to help process brass faster.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#2]
Assuming your using a Lee universal decapping die? I use the squirrel daddy replacement pins. 3 come in a set, but one is all you'll ever need.

Here's a link to the APP capabilities. Definitely worth the price. https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Lee-APP-tips-and-tricks/42-510869/
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure you didn't run into some berdan primed brass?

It's pretty rare in 9mm, but can happen.

The Lee decapping dies are pretty good in my experience. I prefer the Hornady decapping rod though since it has the replaceable tips that are much cheaper.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've only used LEE and RCBS decapping dies.

Never broke any pins.

A few stuck cases, but that's my fault.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The Lee App doesn't use a standard pin, like their decapping die has - it is a different design completely and uses a completely different pin (so no aftermarket pin from what I believe).  This is what it looks like:

https://leeprecision.com/APP-Deprime-Kit-Product
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:30:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: owlless] [#7]
Not sure it would be a press issue, maybe off center Prime hole, Berman primed brass, or bad decapper pin?

I just sized and decapped 1000 with mine.  Had three stuck cases, easy to remove and lee recommends not sizing for this reason.  But over all worked very well.  No broken decapper pins.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Posted this many times;

1. With any die.......never "power through" when you feel more than normal pressure on the press handle. Stop investigate, find out what's wrong.
If you don't you will be buying some die parts. This was something I also had to learn the hard way.

2. Lee Universal decapper (thinking this is what OP is using) IF adjusted properly the decapping stem will slip up and not break the decapping pin,
as designed if you encounter something wrong with the flashole.
You don't need any "Hard" pins. Have tens of thousands of cases decapped on my APP and one Lee Universal decapper. See #1.

https://i.imgur.com/PJzdlZyl.jpg

3. How to adjust the collet that grips the decapping stem.  Common mistake folks make is to "Gorilla" tighten the collet so stem can't move. Don't be a bubba.

Best to adjust with crimped cases as you want collet nut adjusted just tight enough to decap a crimped primer, but slip up on a Berdan case or a rock in the case.

No crimped brass? Just tighten collet nut just tight enough to decap.
In the future if you do get  some crimped cases, collet will need to be tightened slightly.
View Quote

I was using the decapping set that came with the kit - not the standard die.  I can put the standard die into the press, no issues there.  I haven't had issues with the standard die and pins - just the one that came with the press.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: optoisolator] [#9]
Alright, I removed the depriming device that came with it and installed my standard Lee decapping die and it works pretty good now. I wouldn't say that it's flawless, because your still need to watch out for upside down cases, as well as those with smaller flash holes then normal (damn Norma brass!). BUT, I'm super happy with it! I was able to crank out at least a thousand 9mm cases in less than an hour! This is definitely a game changer for decapping large amounts of brass before washing it!

A few things that I'd recommend for anyone that gets one.

-Get the deluxe model, the upgrades are worth the money
-Use an actual Lee decapping die, not the device it comes with
-Buy the pass though shell holders, instead of using the plastic thing that comes with it
-Get the brass sorter for the top of the tubes. Even though you may still get an upside down case every once in awhile it's still worth it!

The only pain in the ass is if you are going to change calibers you need to adjust the height of the shell holders. There is a guy on eBay that makes a kit you can get that makes this super simple but it's not cheap. For now I'm sticking with the factory setup for this.

My final observation is, there's a lot of plastic in this thing. I sure hope it holds up over time. If not the parts aren't super expensive but it may be a good idea to have extra parts on hand just in case.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:57:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By optoisolator:
The Lee App doesn't use a standard pin, like their decapping die has - it is a different design completely and uses a completely different pin (so no aftermarket pin from what I believe).  This is what it looks like:

https://leeprecision.com/APP-Deprime-Kit-Product
View Quote

I thought those weren't supposed to break. I'd reach out to Lee and ask them what's up. The APP doesn't have much leverage so either it was gorrilla smashed or there was a defect in the decapping pin for it to break at only 2-300 cases.

I bet Lee replaces it at no charge.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah it's easy to over do it. I bought a lot of surplus brass and it appears that there were some crimped primers and small flash holes. Also discovered that whomever I bought the brass from didn't do a good job removing all of their steel pins. Went though it all this morning and removed quite a bit....ugh. That'll definitely break a decapping pin.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I use an FW Arms primer popper (or whatever it is called) with my APP.  That thing is amazing, I've split rocks in half before, berdan is no problem either it just goes through them.  If a case gets sideways, it also goes through the case.  Might be a little over the top, but it works.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By optoisolator:
Yeah it's easy to over do it. I bought a lot of surplus brass and it appears that there were some crimped primers and small flash holes. Also discovered that whomever I bought the brass from didn't do a good job removing all of their steel pins. Went though it all this morning and removed quite a bit....ugh. That'll definitely break a decapping pin.
View Quote

Doh!  I've done that.  

Glad you are getting it figured out.  

It's not as nice as the dillon 650 I used to have and used more for brass prep than loading, bit it's a heck of a machine for the $$$$.

Even with its quirks it's way better than one at a time.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By owlless:

Doh!  I've done that.  

Glad you are getting it figured out.  

It's not as nice as the dillon 650 I used to have and used more for brass prep than loading, bit it's a heck of a machine for the $$$$.

Even with its quirks it's way better than one at a time.

View Quote

It's a perfect partner for a single stage press. I'm using the APP to decap, FL size and bulge bust 9mm, 40SW, 45acp and 223. Really churns through the brass quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top