Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2019 2:57:58 PM EDT
First time machine gun buyer here . I posted in the other thread but figured I’d make a new one . Just got a Catco MK5 . It’s in the middle of the form 3 process and should be at my dealer next week or so.

Sooooo, what can I get to go with it ?

I’m looking at getting an integral suppressor from GSL, he’s never made one for a MK5 but is willing to do so . I know I’ll need a clamp on front sight to use with it.

Or I already have a octane 45 I’m sure I could use .

Is there any spare parts that are a must for a sten gun ? Any recommendations on things to keep around ?

I’ve got a pretty long wait ahead of me and want to start getting on the look out for accessories
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Loading tool. Mags are a bitch
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
So as far as magazines go what should i be looking for ?  How well do the 20rd mags function? I don’t mind 20 rounds in the mag if they work well . I see them for sale pretty cheap .
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If you get the "20rd" mags that have the brass rods on the inside, you can drill the rods out and convert them back to 30 rds. I think maybe one of our own even did a Youtube video on it. You need an Austen loader if you can find one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Suppressor
Forward vertical grip
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#6]
My sten(s) is still in NFA jail at my dealer. I’m kinda of accessory junkie so I got a full sten parts kit plus extra springs. Scored a deals on about 100 mags of various types including some still in paper wrap which is cool. Several mag loaders, extra barrel to get threaded eventually and lots of ammo. And you can get reproduction bandoliers on amazon which is nice to take to the range to carry mags. Ask around on mags I got multiple mags a member here for about $7 a mag.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Can any of yall tell me about Phoenix Armory Sten builds are they good to go?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can any of yall tell me about Phoenix Armory Sten builds are they good to go?
View Quote
Stens are pretty simple, and are tough to mess up. If you have any issues with it, try a spring or two, or a bolt swap and that's probably all it will take. My guess is it will run just fine, but it's just a guess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice, yeah mag loader is a must!!! Your thumbs will thank you trust me. But yeah other than that just stock up on mags and ammo. I'm sure you'l enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ring loader (trust me)
View Quote
trust him,

SPEND THE MONEY ON THIS FIRST.

Sten are great, and soild. But if you see a good cheap parts kit, get it. B/c piece of mind is worth two in the bush.

Mags, buy then cheap and stack then deep.

the 20rds were Indain Railway Mags or something. They are cheap, like someone else said there are 4 brass rods in there. You can take a punch and pop them out easy, 1 mintue Ea.

All used mags will be dirty say sin. clean them inside and out.

You will have mags that do not work, Mark them and set aside. Then you get 4/5 look on line on how to adjust the mag lip angle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Any source on the sten mag armory tools? I know there is a youtube video showing a mandrel and gauge to adjust magazine feed lips. Wouldn't mind having one or a reproduction.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Either the ring loader or the spring-plunger loader work fine and are absolutely necessary.

Also get a 50 round mag.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I spoke to GSL and the next batch of sten suppressors this summer he’s going to pull some parts aside for me to make a 1 off custom mount for the MK5 .  What’s the point of a sub gun if you can’t make it quiet

Duly noted on the ring loader , got one ordered . The add stated it came with magazines so I’ll wait and see how many that will be before I order any .
Still need a spare parts kit and a spare MK5 barrel. Form 3 was submitted today so I should have the gun at my dealer next week sometime .
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
"Spoon" loaders work well for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any source on the sten mag armory tools? I know there is a youtube video showing a mandrel and gauge to adjust magazine feed lips. Wouldn't mind having one or a reproduction.
View Quote
BRP had the mag/feed lip mandrels ......don't know if they are still in stock though.

Aside from the necessity for an Austen mag loader, the only parts I've ever seen crap-out on a Sten were the trigger spring, and the funky spring (with hook) that connects it to the sear......maybe pick up a milled sear or two as well....
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I have another(possibly unpopular)view when it comes to this topic

I always hear the advice to pick up many spare parts for the sten....but I wonder how often those spare parts are actually used(this probably holds true for many steel/tube sub guns).

There are two reasons I wonder about this....
Aside from springs, do parts ever actually wear out?  Is the bolt going to actually wear out?  Probably not.

Secondly, these firearms are NOT “milspec”.
For the most part, parts do not actually just drop in.  You need to “fit” most of the spare parts to your particular firearm anyway.  Why bother when the parts that are working in it, are most likely not going to actually wear out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have another(possibly unpopular)view when it comes to this topic

I always hear the advice to pick up many spare parts for the sten....but I wonder how often those spare parts are actually used(this probably holds true for many steel/tube sub guns).

There are two reasons I wonder about this....
Aside from springs, do parts ever actually wear out?  Is the bolt going to actually wear out?  Probably not.

Secondly, these firearms are NOT “milspec”.
For the most part, parts do not actually just drop in.  You need to “fit” most of the spare parts to your particular firearm anyway.  Why bother when the parts that are working in it, are most likely not going to actually wear out.
View Quote
From what I understand is the bolts sear catch and the sear will both wear out with time , also if a firing pin breaks it is part of the bolt so the whole bolt will need replaced . I don’t know the frequency of parts breakage but it doesn’t hurt to buy them .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top