Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2024 6:25:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey]
Saw this on another forum, as well as X - Tavor to be replaced with an Israeli made AR type rifle (likely the ARAD). Notably very few Tavors have been seen (at least by me) in the current Gaza lawn mowing.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/idf-to-replace-tavor-with-israeli-made-ar.469898/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Military/comments/1b7wkrt/israel_is_abandoning_the_tavor_and_the_m4_for_a/

The weapon revolution for IDF soldiers: Israeli AR instead of the M4 and Tavor

In a quick move during the war, the Procurement Administration at the Ministry of Defense bought about 20,000 M-16 based M4 rifles and 3,000 Tavor rifles, but prepared for the big move in the field units: a uniform Israeli weapon, which will be similar to the M4. The Givati and Golani fighters may say goodbye to Tavor this year.

The army intends to go back and base itself on unified Israeli weapons in the field of assault rifles for the field units, mainly for the infantry soldiers. To this end, the procurement administration at the Ministry of Defense is launching a huge tender for tens of thousands of rifles between three local weapon manufacturers: "Silver Shadow" which manufactures the Gilboa rifle, MZ weapons of the "Amatan" company, and the Arad rifle of IWI.

All three are from the AR family of weapons.

In this way, the IDF will phase out the Israeli Tavor rifles that were intended about two decades ago to be the replacements for the American rifles, but were not distributed beyond three infantry brigades: Givati, Golani and Nahal.

As an interim step before the introduction of Israeli weapons, the Tavors will be transferred to non-infantry field units (armor, artillery and possibly also for engineering. In the meantime, due to the wear and tear of the existing weapons during the war, the procurement administration at the Ministry of Defense ordered about 20 thousand American M4 rifles and another 3,000 Tavor rifles.

The Ministry of Defense emphasizes that the two Israeli manufacturers who win the tender will have to meet strict conditions even though their weapons have already been successfully sold to security units in Israel, which belong to the police and Shin Bet, and to foreign armies.

"The Tavor was based on a mechanism of a rear assembly, which has become less common in Western armies, less suitable for operating some of the restraints, and it has relative disadvantages in fighting in closed areas, as we saw in the fighting in Gaza," a senior IDF officer who leads the intensification project.

"We are after in-depth research on the subject and comparative experiments that we conducted with fighters from the Givati, Kafir brigades and paratroopers, to make sure it's not just a gut feeling of commanders. We realized in the tests we did at the ranges that we had to switch to a unified weapon version because significant gaps have arisen on the subject, mainly in the reserve battalions that are fed from different units, and from soldiers that some of them used Tavor and others M4".

The ambition to be based on Israeli assault rifles will be the third in recent decades, after the first two - the Galilee rifles

In the 1970s and 1980s, and the Tavors from the beginning of the 2000s, they did not succeed fully and for a long time. "The move will allow high maintenance flexibility, will prevent conversions for fighters who will move from regular to reserve, will provide a uniform spare parts market and will save logistical costs over the years," added the officer, "the ambition is that the new M4s we received from the U.S. will be distributed this year to the Givati and Golani fighters, in order to let them get to know and start using the same weapon technology that will later be Israeli-made for them as well."

In my estimation, we will complete the move by mid-2025."

And meme I came across while researching this, which accurately shows the state of bullpups on the international arms market:

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Israel has been buying M16 carbine variants with US foreign aid since the 1980s.

That's why the Galil and Tavor were never fully adopted and you see so many IDF armed with M16 carbines / M4s.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:55:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Voland] [#2]
Imported surplus tavors you say?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Having owned and fired both I can see why.

While the Tavor is a very interesting weapon, and shorter in length, it in no way has the ergonomic ease of use that the AR15/M16/M4 has.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ODA_564:
Israel has been buying M16 carbine variants with US foreign aid since the 1980s.

That's why the Galil and Tavor were never fully adopted and you see so many IDF armed with M16 carbines / M4s.
View Quote

The Galil adoption was doomed way back in 1973 when we flew in plane loads of M16’s during the Yom Kippur war.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Voland:
Imported surplus tavors you say?
View Quote

Yes please
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't change anything for me, I still wouldn't kick a X95 SBR out of bed for eating crackers.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:07:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diamond2J] [#7]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

"The Tavor was based on a mechanism of a rear assembly, which has become less common in Western armies, less suitable for operating some of the restraints, and it has relative disadvantages in fighting in closed areas, as we saw in the fighting in Gaza," a senior IDF officer who leads the intensification project.

View Quote

Admittedly I am not a bullpup owner and have not had the opportunity to operate one but this sounds like the opposite of what I've been told about bullpups? Barrel is at least as long but shorter overall so you can maneuver closed areas better? What does that mean?

ETA - Not GD, sorry
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ODA_564:

View Quote

Israel was receiving M-16s back in the 1970s in the aftermath of the Yom Kipur war of 1973.

We still see plenty those old A1s live on as the carbines still being used today.  

Thank "Uncle Sam" for that Sugar.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#9]
I was in Israel and Palestine this time last year.  I saw one Tavor and countless AR15 / M4 variants.  Every handgun I saw was a Glock.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Eugene Stoner wins again.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder what the urban use shortcoming was.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Tomac:
View Quote

I would say too bulky/heavy and slower to reload in CQB. Just my guess. Gas in the face is not ideal either.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#14]
No zion-15s for them?  I guess those are one of the strictly civilian products like the tavor shotgun?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

The USA didn’t buy it for them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

That had crossed my mind...
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m assuming it will be an ARAD style upper system that is piston driven

That or another easily mass produced M4
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
How do you say “bullpups suck” in Hebrew?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

This

I prefer the standard (13" sbr)  Tavor over the AR in spades... but everything is about the money, AR's are cheaper, AND  we have plenty to sell or give
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PreachermanMATT:

This

I prefer the standard (13" sbr)  Tavor over the AR in spades... but everything is about the money, AR's are cheaper, AND  we have plenty to sell or give
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PreachermanMATT:

This

The *only* reason I didn't get the 13" X95 is the NFA hassle. Wasn't worth it for 3" of bbl, imho (ymmv).
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:43:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#21]
Originally Posted By _DR:

I would say too bulky/heavy and slower to reload in CQB. Just my guess. Gas in the face is not ideal either.

View All Quotes

I was curious about that line as well.  That's one of the whole points fo bullpups, is to be shorter and allower better CQB operations.  Obviously the guy has more time-in-setting than I do, so I'd like ot learn more on his thoughts on that.  FWIW, to your point, that's kind of why I 've all but retired my AUG, and now run an RDB as my primary.  no gas/brass-in-face, and much lighter; yet still a very small compact bullpup that's shorter than a MK18 even in deployment (comparisons to AR's with folded stocks are silly - IMHO).
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frens] [#22]
I truly believe there’s a global plan to issue an AR style platform among all allies… we’re getting ready for the inevitable and we want a common platform.

Every major gun manufacturer has an AR on catalog… HK, Beretta, steyr, Sako, etc
Even a country in war like UKR is building their own AR.

More and more countries are converting to the AR in EU

ETA:
AR community invading Jerusalem

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:54:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shackleford_R] [#23]
in other words "we have to buy ARs because that's what our allies use".
people act like industry momentum doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Inability to switch shoulders on the fly too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#25]

The *only* reason I didn't get the 13" X95 is the NFA hassle. Wasn't worth it for 3" of bbl, imho (ymmv).
View Quote

MM Indeed does V

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like it has more to do with commonality of training and maintenance between their active and reserve forces than any particular deficiency of the Tavor.

Any "low density" fielding of equipment is going to be higher cost per unit by definition. But it does make a lot of sense for armor and artillery troops to still have them. It isn't their primary weapon anyway, and the compactness is arguably more useful, where they will spend the majority of time in arms rooms or stored in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if this has anything to do with why IWI US all of a sudden got spare parts in recently
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#28]

While the Tavor is a very interesting weapon, and shorter in length, it in no way has the ergonomic ease of use that the AR15/M16/M4 has.

View Quote

This. They're just Ewww.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:24:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#29]
Can't say I don't blame them. With the exception of weapon balance, the AR platform is just way more user friendly and easier to customize.

I have a left handed Tavor SAR that I really only keep since they don't make them anymore and it's just different.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#30]
They have been using short M-16 for a long time. That's what they call them they are not M4.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:51:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#31]
Good.

God hates loves bullpups.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Jkees:
Good.

God hates bullpups.
View Quote

Why you in the bullpup forum then
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Frens:
I truly believe there’s a global plan to issue an AR style platform among all allies… we’re getting ready for the inevitable and we want a common platform.

Every major gun manufacturer has an AR on catalog… HK, Beretta, steyr, Sako, etc
Even a country in war like UKR is building their own AR.

More and more countries are converting to the AR in EU

View Quote

I believe you may be correct. That and parts are everywhere. Look at a majority who post here. Barrels,stocks,receivers,lpks,ammo,ammo and more ammo. Every optic imaginable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Dissident:
Doesn't change anything for me, I still wouldn't kick a X95 SBR out of bed for eating crackers.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#35]
IDF had never completely switched to the bullpup. It's up to the individual battalion to pick what small arms they use. Some units stay with the M16 and just updated to M4s.

Reservists use whatever hand me down.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#36]

So are any of these IWI produced M4 variants going to see US export sales?

Would like to see that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:31:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#37]
I wonder what a direct impingement bullpup would be like. Has anyone ever tried such a thing?

Lightweight would be good.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
How do you say “bullpups suck” in Hebrew?
View Quote

שוורים מוצצים      
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#39]
The God of Israel hates Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Good.

God hates bullpups.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

View Quote

Shit I just saw this thread through active topics and thought it was GD...

My bad
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:03:49 AM EDT
[#42]

My bad
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

My bad

Forgiven - I've done it.  Did it once in the Religion forum just like that - even talking shit to an audience on a topic in their house, that I shouldn't have been talking shit about.  I kinda tucked tail on that with a sheepish "my bad".  
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:07:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Forgiven - I've done it.  Did it once in the Religion forum just like that - even talking shit to an audience on a topic in their house, that I shouldn't have been talking shit about.  I kinda tucked tail on that with a sheepish "my bad".  
View Quote

Fixed my op, hope im forgiven by all.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Ha!  You didn't have to do that.  This is the gun forum section here baby! - bring it on!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:26:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#45]
I'd never heard of this thing before. One of the contenders that was mentioned in the article.
http://www.emtan.co.il/products/military-law-enforcement/mz-4p/mz-4-piston-commando-11-5-barrel-detail.html?darkschemeovr=1
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#46]
I wonder what a direct impingement bullpup would be like. Has anyone ever tried such a thing?

Lightweight would be good.
View Quote

Senex Arms is trying to bring one to market.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#47]
ARs are cheaper than Tavors...
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
ARs are cheaper than Tavors...
View Quote

and there it is.   If you're running procurment to outfit an Army - there it is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:
I’m assuming it will be an ARAD style upper system that is piston driven

That or another easily mass produced M4
View Quote

I don't know if it's a sign of things to come or not, but the Arad made its way to militia units near Gaza post-Oct 7th, looked like they were coming straight from the box.  Whether they were warehoused for export of for near-future issue to local regular forces I can't say.  Pictures I've seen was an all-black model, just as a note.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top