Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2020 6:48:19 PM EDT
I want to send a big thanks out to Robert at JRH, we had several conversations and I went back and forth with him, told him I wanted the best specs I could get and I didn't mind waiting.  He came through and he did it extremely fast given the way things are now and the frustrations many of us have beengoing through with getting the things we've been putting off all this time.  Dealing with Robert was interesting, he likes to talk on the phone but don't email him unless you need to!!  I had a great experience with regard to communicarion, he is very busy though so I would suggest marinating on any questions you have before firing off an email so that you can compress them into one.  

I went with BNVD -UL W/L3 filmless WP, gave him crazy spec requirements but he brought me back down to earth.  I don't know if its acceptable in the community to post spec sheets but the numbers are very impressive:

Fom: 2354/2347
Snr: 32.7/32.6
Ebi: .3/.4
Lg: 67630/63716
Center resolution: 72/72
High light resolution: 36/36

No zone 1 blemishes.

It took him a little over a month to get me these tubes.  Great job sir.  I've endure much longer waits for much lesser gear since this crap started.   Willletyou guys know how they look later tonight.  Not sure how to take a photo through them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
great numbers. post some pics if you get a chance.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Robert is awesome and those are some solid specs!
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet you got them for a great price also since JRH/Robert is known for that. I also got me a great set of GP BNVD HP+ with FOM @ mid 21000 and SNR of @ .9 For thin filmed tubes the numbers friggin rock.

Can't wait to see your pics.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I want to send a big thanks out to Robert at JRH, we had several conversations and I went back and forth with him, told him I wanted the best specs I could get and I didn't mind waiting.  He came through and he did it extremely fast given the way things are now and the frustrations many of us have beengoing through with getting the things we've been putting off all this time.  Dealing with Robert was interesting, he likes to talk on the phone but don't email him unless you need to!!  I had a great experience with regard to communicarion, he is very busy though so I would suggest marinating on any questions you have before firing off an email so that you can compress them into one.  

I went with BNVD -UL W/L3 filmless WP, gave him crazy spec requirements but he brought me back down to earth.  I don't know if its acceptable in the community to post spec sheets but the numbers are very impressive:

Fom: 2354/2347
Snr: 32.7/32.6
Ebi: .3/.4
Lg: 67630/63716
Center resolution: 72/72
High light resolution: 36/36

No zone 1 blemishes.

It took him a little over a month to get me these tubes.  Great job sir.  I've endure much longer waits for much lesser gear since this crap started.   Willletyou guys know how they look later tonight.  Not sure how to take a photo through them.
View Quote

Awesome specs and absolutely stellar EBI. Those tubes will be fantastic and the BNVD-UL is a great housing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok guys. Just finished reading the manual and i have a few questions:

1. Will my rechargeable NI-MH Sony eneloops work?  Unit calls for 1.5-3.0vdc.  Eneloops are the best AA's to my knowledge but they have 1.2V(and 1900mah) instead of 1.5, will they still work? Planned on using them in battery pack mode, if not can someone recommend a rechargeable AA that is optimal.

2.  Shpuld I expect to see some bright spots, emission points, black spots and patterned noise with this sort of TOTL unit?

3. What are you guys thoughts on eyecups?

4. How much wiggle between a G24 and the unit it acceptable?  Should it be tight with no wiggle?

5. Also the mohawk I ordered is like twice as wide as the battery pack, ordered the one they said to, is this normal?
If there are any other tips or things I should know I would appreciate it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1. Will my rechargeable NI-MH Sony eneloops work?  Unit calls for 1.5-3.0vdc.  Eneloops are the best AA's to my knowledge but they have 1.2V(and 1900mah) instead of 1.5, will they still work? Planned on using them in battery pack mode, if not can someone recommend a rechargeable AA that is optimal.

2.  Shpuld I expect to see some bright spots, emission points, black spots and patterned noise with this sort of TOTL unit?

4. How much wiggle between a G24 and the unit it acceptable?  Should it be tight with no wiggle?

If there are any other tips or things I should know I would appreciate it.  Thanks
View Quote

2. Fixed pattern noise is pretty common on the filmless tubes. Blems are allowable - your specs sheet should detail where they are and how big they are. I’ve never seen emission points on the filmless but I suppose it’s possible.

3. I hate running eye cups.

4. There can be some wiggle. Really just depends on how much
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Awesome specs and absolutely stellar EBI. Those tubes will be fantastic and the BNVD-UL is a great housing.
View Quote

I noticed the EBI as well. Probably some
Of the lowest numbers I’ve ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

1. Can’t say about those batteries but it’s universally agreed upon to avoid rechargeable batteries. Lithium AA’s aren’t that expensive and that’s what most people run including me.

2. You shouldn’t have emission points but it’s possible. Specs or small spots may be there but anything large will be listed on your spec sheets. With the Moon right now you may see some fixed pattern noise. It’s more noticeable in brighter light but some tubes don’t have it and some do.

3. I always ditch the eye ups and also the ring.

4. My G24 wiggles a little in the stowed position but deployed down doesn’t have any noticeable wiggle. Do you mean wiggle where the dovetail interface goes into the mount or wiggle in the arm? If you have wiggle in the interface, I’d mess with it jostling it around tugging on it while holding the device to make sure it locks up. You don’t want it popping out. If it pops out then that’s a major issue and I wouldn’t run it or if you do then run it with a lanyard. You’ll want to determine if it’s an issue with the mount or the dovetail interface.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Enloops should work fine
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
One of My g24 wiggled a TON from side when in the down position, the culprit being the plate that moves up and down on rails and is secured by the vertical adjustment bar. If it’s unbearable, contact Wilcox and they’ll fix it.

On another note, Robert is awesome. Even if you have an issue he’ll go above and beyond to make sure you’re happy. Good purchase
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats OP.  Those specs are awesome!
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#15]
So I got out with them just now, i can see what looks like millions of stars, with the naked eye can barely see any.  The level of detail through the tube appears as good as normal daylight vision, just in the white phosphor tint.  I am astonished, very much worth it.  If anyone knows a way I could get pics through thre tube i'd be happy to share.  2 absolutely minor blemishes, dont even notice thrm unless I focus on them.  Bnvd housing is very nice, left front knob was a little tight, should loosen up over time.  I preferred to set my focus to the stars by setting the front knob and then the rear knob.  Did the song and dance in the manual and found that just adjusting the front and then rear and making minor tweaks was faster.  Gain knob is sweet, gets so bright it hurts, preffered it well south of middle as these tubes seem very bright.  The little halo around lights is perfectly demarkated from the rest of the environment, like a clean circle of light.  I cant find any noise or static in the scene at all, super clean.

1. Will looking at things like the full moon or oncoming car lights damage the unit?  I purposefully avoided looking at them.

2. My team wendy retention clips on the bungee's dont fit into the loops on the bnvd ul housing, do you guys typically run a little metal ring through there or is there something I can purchase for it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Congrats OP.  Those specs are awesome!
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Congrats OP!  JRH is good people.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#20]
These threads just make me more giddy to receive my BNVD from JRH
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep, me too! Can’t wait!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Congrats OP!  JRH is good people.
View Quote
+1

I had a great experience getting my ULs from JRH
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Fingers crossed that my PVS-14's from JRH will be delivered this week !
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Robert from JRH is a really cool guy, his service is Top Notch.. I bought my first PVS-14 HP+ a couple years ago, and it was outstanding, but I ended up selling it to fund for RNVG.. With all this that’s happening, I sure hope I get mine this week..
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Robert from JRH is a really cool guy, his service is Top Notch.. I bought my first PVS-14 HP+ a couple years ago, and it was outstanding, but I ended up selling it to fund for RNVG.. With all this that’s happening, I sure hope I get mine this week..
View Quote

I hope you do as well.  It seems like Robert is sble to get ud high quality tubes much faster, my wait time was around 1 month.  My initial specs I requested were much higher 37/72/3700, Robert suggested I step down a bit and I did.  Everyone I've shown ny tubes and specs to have said they are top 5% of tubes.  I'm very happy with that.  I've had them out a lot and am very pleased snd happy I didnt have to wait 6 months.  I'm sure if I told him they MUST meet these specs the wait would have been much longer but for coming through how he did(1 month 33/72/~2400), I am happy to accept these specs in lieu of a much longer wait and I doubt I would be able to tell much of a differnce between these and 37/72/2700 anyway.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I have my order in for a set of BNVD-UL's.  Hope my specs will look that good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top