Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2023 10:56:19 AM EDT
I am working on a small boat and needed a edc knife to cut lines if needed. I have decided on the Esee Izula 2.  I’m not here to get in the serrated vs smooth edge for cutting lines argument either.

I’ve looked into different ways to carry and I have ordered a sheath for scout carry, but I am open to carry different ways.  I’ve never carried a fixed blade knife so I don’t know which way is best and most comfortable. What do you guys find the best way to carry a fixed blade?
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I currently have a ESEE 3 in a factory sheath at my 9 o’clock blade facing forward IWB. It has been my work knife for 13 years and looks it. Around the house I carry an Izula 2 in the same position but OWB with a Armatus sheath with a Bladetech Large Teklok attached. It’s solid and doesn’t move. I have another sheath for horizontal that I have carried at 1 o’clock when out of the country and both ways work well. I’ve also carried the 3 in the same way but prefer the smaller blade for comfort.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out ebay, they have some kydex sheaths for them. Think they run about $25, give or take a couple bucks.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#3]
You might want something stainless instead of 1095.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TROB:
You might want something stainless instead of 1095.
View Quote

This and neither of my 1095 Izulas hold an edge for shit and the blade thickness/ grind angle really isn’t ideal for line like marine use lines.  I’d gi with something designed for marine applications.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tightlines49] [#5]
When I worked on boats I always had a serrated Myerchin folder on the center line my life vest that was never used. A leatherman with a serrated blade on my strong side, and another Myerchin on my weak side.

If you are concerned about lines, be concerned about being tangled in them and going over the side. Think of a blade or blades, that you can access and deploy no matter how you may get tangled.

Myerchin makes a sheeps foot fixed blade also, and some come with a marlin spike. You can get serrarated or not, I don’t know what size lines you will be around, but most of the lines that I put my hands on were as thick as your ankle and would laugh at a non serrarated blade.

One hand for you, one hand for the boat.

ETA   Myerchin is a marine grade knife company
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:12:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UmpaLumpa] [#6]
Guys, I am fully aware of my choices.  I realize the advantages and disadvantages of the 1095 steel for my Izula 2.  I am also aware that Myerchin makes great marine knives. I have made my choice fully aware of everything you guys have pointed out before you even posted it here.

My original post was about different ways to carry, which only one of the five replies above has done.  Again I am looking for different opinions on carry options.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
 I have the original Izula and wear it on my neck with a length of paracord. Not ideal under a single shirt but with more than one shirt  on I don't mind it between them. Wearing it on the outside of the shirt is ok but it dangles when you lean over.  Not an issue if wearing a pack or something with a sternum strap that can hold the lanyard in check.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:52:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UmpaLumpa:
Guys, I am fully aware of my choices.  I realize the advantages and disadvantages of the 1095 steel for my Izula 2.  I am also aware that Myerchin makes great marine knives. I have made my choice fully aware of everything you guys have pointed out before you even posted it here.

My original post was about different ways to carry, which only one of the five replies above has done.  Again I am looking for different opinions on carry options.
View Quote

Ulticlip on the stock sheath. Can be carried IWB/ OWB, horizontal/vertical on a belt, waistband, molle etc.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I pocket carry an Izula. Started with the factory sheath til it wore out and wouldn't retain the knife anymore. Bought a cheap owb kydex sheath on Amazon and removed the belt clip. I've had to heat up the corner that does the retention a couple times over the last couple years
I use it like a fidget spinner and pop the knife 1/8" out of the sheath when I'm killing time with my hands in my pockets

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:30:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanical] [#10]
I don't carry my Izula 2 much anymore, but when I did, I made myself a horizontal sheath that would sit on the front of my belt under my shirt.  

ETA: With my pistol in an IWB/quasi-appendix position at around 2-230 with a bit of cant, the tip end of the knife would get pushed out from my waist and the thing would sit really flat across the front of my belt.
I also kept my belt buckle (Wilderness belt usually) offset to the left, so the knife handle would sit just to the right, and it didn't print or anything.
(I'm around a 38-40 waist fwiw)

edit: description and photo was reversed

Also, this was me experimenting with carrying it as a weapon retention tool, not for line cutting on a boat.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#11]
As I mentioned previously, I carried vertically on my life vest. If you choose to carry on your belt make sure that whichever method you choose allows quick access with either hand.

Two is one, one is none.

It never happened on my watch, but we lost a guy on my boat due to going over the the side fouled in a line.  Stay out of the bight.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Cross draw with the handle tilted up is super comfortable, even with a 6" SRK (this might be a 5" Compact here). You really need 2 loops, I tried one hard loop and the knife moved around. You'll forget you're wearing an Izula like this.

Attachment Attached File
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top