Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2021 11:13:09 AM EDT
I bought magazines last night so now I need a gun.

I want this one currently.  Any reason not to?

Then I just have to find one for a sane price.  If anyone has any leads for ~$1600 I'm all ears.

ETA: Bought the rifle linked above for $1705 shipped including tax from PSA.  Not great but not horrible.

Not sure if I care for the Aimpoint currently.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Then I just have to find one for a sane price.  If anyone has any leads for ~$1600 I'm all ears.
View Quote

Own/ Have owned several M1A over the years.  Recently sold a SAGE standard for north of 2k, and a NM for north of 2800.   Found a guy local who sold me a NIB Scout two months ago for $1200.  They exist, just got to look hard.  Of all the M1A's i've owned, the scout is by far my favorite.  Perfect in between of a standard and a Socom.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

You better be... it's loud AF!
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ears already ring soooo

I wish I could find a deal but I live in a town of <5K people so pickings are slim here.

If I see one for $1500 I'm going to fo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought a Scout Squad from PSA for $1705 shipped including tax.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems in line with what is the current going rate.  I picked up my SOCOM for 1200 bucks but that was about 2 years ago, and most people like the Scout Squad better if they've owned both.  Less blasty, though I don't find the SOCOM bad, but I plug and muff things at the range.

I really like my SOCOM, and wasn't a fan of the M1A series before.  It's short, handy, attractive, reliable, and shoots big bullets fast.  

I ended up putting a Sig Romeo 5 on mine, and I like the setup.  My eyes are too bad anyone for good work with iron sights, and the red dot is fast and easy to pick up.  The mount is right on the barrel so it and the scope get hot, but I haven't had it die on me yet.  I bought a low profile QD mount for it, so if it did conch out on me, I could take it off and go back to irons.

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure if I care for the Aimpoint yet.  The stock is kind of flimsy too.

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#8]
The Scout length is my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The Aimpoint is growing on me.

I think I'll sight in the irons first and then throw it on and try it.

If I like it I'll get a MRO and low ADM mount for the Scorpion Evo I'll be stealing the H-1 off of.  I should have bought 4 of those H-1's when they were on sale for $400 a couple years ago
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Cost of ammo will be your greatest concern.  

Here are couple suggestions:

Change out the buttplate for a metal M14 plate to get a shorter LOP.  
Change out the muzzle brake for a M14 flash suppressor.
Consider mounting a scout scope instead of an Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cost of ammo will be your greatest concern.  

Here are couple suggestions:

Change out the buttplate for a metal M14 plate to get a shorter LOP.  
Change out the muzzle brake for a M14 flash suppressor.
Consider mounting a scout scope instead of an Aimpoint.

View Quote

Happily I reload and have lots of spare 308 brass as well as TAC and primers.  The only thing I was short on were bullets but I found 1K 150gr FMJ's locally and have another 6.3K backordered.

I'm 6'6" so the LOP is just about perfect but I am going to try to find a fiberglass USGI stock I think.

I do hate brakes normally so it may have to go.

Have any suggestions on the best Scout scope?  Cost isn't a huge factor I just want something made in Japan or the USA.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Own/ Have owned several M1A over the years.  Recently sold a SAGE standard for north of 2k, and a NM for north of 2800.   Found a guy local who sold me a NIB Scout two months ago for $1200.  They exist, just got to look hard.  Of all the M1A's i've owned, the scout is by far my favorite.  Perfect in between of a standard and a Socom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad has a scout. Firing it makes my teeth hurt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:12:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's how you know it's working.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a good range trip.

The Aimpoint will be staying as it worked great!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sissy.  Try a SOCOM for an even better blast!

Still, with plugs and muffs, under a range roof, it's not bad for the shooter.  But clears out your left and right pretty quick.

I have a Sig Romeo 5 on mine, and like it.  It's a quick and easy to pick up dot, and makes for a handy package.  I put a very low profile (to keep a decent cheekweld) QD mount on mine - in case it ever dies on me, a flick of the lever and I have iron sights to use.

The Scout and SOCOM series of M1A are nice.  I never was a fan of the full size one - if I want something that big and heavy the Garand just has so much more history and snazz to it.  But the shorter ones are great rifles, and short / light enough to use for something besides a sniper role.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Aimpoint is growing on me.

I think I'll sight in the irons first and then throw it on and try it.

If I like it I'll get a MRO and low ADM mount for the Scorpion Evo I'll be stealing the H-1 off of.  I should have bought 4 of those H-1's when they were on sale for $400 a couple years ago
View Quote

Get a Ultimak rail and you can cowitness with irons with no cheekrest needed.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dang, that sucks to hear. I have one but haven't shot it yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I have both the SOCOM and scout. Replace the brake with a Nation Match Flash hider w/o the bayonet lug. I like both of mine. The scout has a Sadlak mounted scope and the SOCOM is currently irons only.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Took my new SOCOM apart and Springfiled only put 2 bolts in the forward optics mount
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Is that not enough?  I've fired a few hundred rounds from my SOCOM and have had no mount issues.  Now that's with a Sig Romeo 5 red dot, so a heavier scope like a long eye relief would result in more force on the mount.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is that not enough?  I've fired a few hundred rounds from my SOCOM and have had no mount issues.  Now that's with a Sig Romeo 5 red dot, so a heavier scope like a long eye relief would result in more force on the mount.

View Quote

I believe he’s saying the mount is missing screws. If I remember correctly it takes six, which would mean he’s missing four...
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I believe he’s saying the mount is missing screws. If I remember correctly it takes six, which would mean he’s missing four...
View Quote

Yeah they shot a screw middle hole each side left four out sent it out. I took the mount off and one was extremely tight and the other just snug.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
That's poor.

I don't have mine in front of me, and back of the safe to boot.  

Can you see the bolts from the top of the mount, or do you have to take the stock off and look for the number of bolts?  I should check mine out too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's poor.

I don't have mine in front of me, and back of the safe to boot.  

Can you see the bolts from the top of the mount, or do you have to take the stock off and look for the number of bolts?  I should check mine out too.
View Quote

Should be able to see from the top, may have to remove handguard.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Had to remove the guard on mine to see it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit, when I first got my Scout, had a few drinks and decided I was going to do a hip fire mag dump. Got 2 rounds off and instantly regretted it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top