Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2022 11:41:50 PM EDT
This is not a for sale ad. Please respect this request and do not get my thread locked.

As some of you know I have a fairly robust Transferable Machine gun collection.
They were all purchased 2007 and 2014.

I have been looking to move closer to family back in Florida and holy shit anything that I would consider adequate for housing is out of my price range unless I do some liquidation.

1)Who is the best at turning machine guns into money obviously there is Morphy Auction, and Rock Island.

Of those two who has the better fee structure and would be most likely the highest return?

2) taxes if they send me a check for two or $300,000 do they file anything with the IRS.

or is that a more thing that I do on my own?

i'm probably within 12 to 18 months working to move I guess it's time to start shopping Auctions

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:13:03 AM EDT
[#1]
only the best firearms in ft lauderdale fl,  call them first they buy for cash.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]
In my opinion Rock Island seems to have more bidders with stupid amount of money way overpaying compared to the bidders at Morphy's.  (although Morphy has their high end sales as well)

If you want to pay $15K+ for a run of the mill M11/9 before sales tax and  buyers premium are added (making it an almost $20K M11 all in) , Rock Island is the place for a high roller to overspend.

That said, I don't know how those high RIA auction sales prices translate to dollars in the sellers pocket as I believe they also take a sellers percentage fee as well unless you have something super high dollar and rare.

In terms of taxes, I would bet the ranch that both auction houses RIA and Morphy's  submit a 1099-K to the IRS under the new reporting rules.

Auction houses are listed as Third party settlement organization in their FAQs.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/irdm_section_6050w_faqs_7_23_11.pdf

I suspect the Auction houses will report the gross proceeds distributed to a seller to the IRS via a 1099-K.   It will then be up to the seller to have proof of asset cost basis, calculate capital gains owed,  and report those  capital gains on a 1040 Schedule D.  You will be responsible for taxes on the gains at either the lower of either your person marginal tax rate or the collectibles capital gains tax rate (28%)

Good luck with your sales.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
only the best firearms in ft lauderdale fl,  call them first they buy for cash.
View Quote

there is Frank, and Rubin. I am sure there more and newer guys.

You are right a phone or email to touch base is free
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In my opinion Rock Island seems to have more bidders with stupid amount of money way overpaying compared to the bidders at Morphy's.  (although Morphy has their high end sales as well)

If you want to pay $15K+ for a run of the mill M11/9 before sales tax and  buyers premium are added (making it an almost $20K M11 all in) , Rock Island is the place for a high roller to overspend.

That said, I don't know how those high RIA auction sales prices translate to dollars in the sellers pocket as I believe they also take a sellers percentage fee as well unless you have something super high dollar and rare.

In terms of taxes, I would bet the ranch that both auction houses RIA and Morphy's  submit a 1099-K to the IRS under the new reporting rules.

Auction houses are listed as Third party settlement organization in their FAQs.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/irdm_section_6050w_faqs_7_23_11.pdf

I suspect the Auction houses will report the gross proceeds distributed to a seller to the IRS via a 1099-K.   It will then be up to the seller to have proof of asset cost basis, calculate capital gains owed,  and report those  capital gains on a 1040 Schedule D.  You will be responsible for taxes on the gains at either the lower of either your person marginal tax rate or the collectibles capital gains tax rate (28%)

Good luck with your sales.
View Quote
I have never even heard about collectibles gains tax. I would be looking at $50,000 just in tax.

There is a chunk of change
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a hold of Thunder Pumpkin Imports.  TPIMPORTS.COM
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Rock island for sure. You are gonna pay taxes out the butt no matter who sells em so you may as well get the most you can. RI has a history of people bidding way higher than what shits worth. They will advertise it better than all others as well. Don’t go with some guy who’s main advertising is word of mouth or FB.
There are a ton of folks in the NFA world who think they are “top of the game”, most are just minor players with an inflated sense of ego. Go with an established outfit.
ETA: not saying I’m a big player but I have been in the “world” for almost 20th years.
I’ve been out of the dealing NFA game for a bit now and don’t really want to get into it in a big way. It’s a pain and everything needs to be stored forever while the feds unfuck the paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not list here and on Sturm first?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I have money.
What do you have and what are you asking.
PM me
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Sturmgewehr.com.. Pay $20 for a year subscription and put them up for sale.

That's where I will be listing my Colt M16A1 this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have never even heard about collectibles gains tax. I would be looking at $50,000 just in tax.

There is a chunk of change
View Quote
Unfortunately the government doesn't like collectibles as an asset class.   Basically it goes back to a "soak the rich" strategy because the .gov's impression is that rich people sit around sipping sherry while pontificating about the rising value of their impressionist painting collection so hit them with higher tax rates.

So anything considered collectible isn't treated as a normal capital gain (like the sale of stock, real estate, etc.)  So art, coins, stamps, etc. are taxed at a much higher percentage rate.    Technically in all of the IRS publications I have read they never specifically list firearms as an example collectible, but I am not sure how you could ever argue that a machinegun sold at an auction isn't a "collectible" from a IRS tax perspective., when the auction catalog is listed as "July 2023 - Collectable Firearms Auction" and the monetary value of the firearms is 90%+ based off its collectable  vs. intrinsic value.

So instead of normal long term capital gains rates of 15% (or 20% if your taxable income is over $500K) collectables get hit with a tax of almost double normal capital gains rate. (assuming your overall marginal tax rate exceeds 28%)

If you want to minimize your potential exposure to the IRS you are going to be looking for local sales which won't generate a 1099 and ideally the sale is completed in cash.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get a hold of Thunder Pumpkin Imports.  TPIMPORTS.COM
View Quote
That is the thing I do not want to email every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rock island for sure. You are gonna pay taxes out the butt no matter who sells em so you may as well get the most you can. RI has a history of people bidding way higher than what shits worth. They will advertise it better than all others as well. Don't go with some guy who's main advertising is word of mouth or FB.
There are a ton of folks in the NFA world who think they are "top of the game", most are just minor players with an inflated sense of ego. Go with an established outfit.
ETA: not saying I'm a big player but I have been in the "world" for almost 20th years.
I've been out of the dealing NFA game for a bit now and don't really want to get into it in a big way. It's a pain and everything needs to be stored forever while the feds unfuck the paperwork.
View Quote

That is the way I leaning
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to Rep over there, so I will have to work harder to get less money
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have money.
PM me
View Quote
I do not want to get this locked,

I may post them in the EE for a short time (7day) before I ship them off and add a link in this thread if that is allowed. That way eveyone can get a fair shake before they are gone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have money.
PM me
View Quote

this...
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

this...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have money.
PM me

this...

Same.  I bet you could get the same you would get with auctions after fees, and from good dudes on here that are the most worthy of such items.  I would look for long time.memebers with good feedback
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Whether you want go through an auction house or sell for yourself may depend on what your personal time is worth to you, and how much you like or dislike "the art of the deal".  I suggest that you do some introspection, and act accordingly.
Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Screw capital gains and go private.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]
After a little more than a month of working after the hurricane I am back, everyone's good everything is good everything is safe.

I hope that was going to come up with some clarity, but I'm just gonna start contacting a few of the people I have touched base with him and see about going forward with the sale.

I am re-falling in love with some of the guns while others I have just fallen out of love with.

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:12:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Here it says 28% long term collectible gain.  

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/061715/how-are-collectibles-taxed.asp#:~:text=If%20collectibles%20are%20sold%20at,for%20one%20year%20or%20less.

Given the IRS is tracking transactions over $600 now, I doubt any business or auction house is going to not report it.  Only way to get out of the taxes legally is to drop dead and let your kin inherit the guns as the basis value resets at time of death.  This would also solve your housing issue.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#21]
From what I read on another firearms website, at the recent Morphy auction a number (many?) of the machine guns did not even sell for the low end of the estimated pricing.  And at a different firearms website it was reported that at a recent estate sale, some machine guns sold at about 2/3rds of expected prices.  It appears that Brandon's recession has crept beyond the housing market.  The time to sell a machine gun may have been last year.

Which reminds me of a riddle:
What's the difference between a recession and a depression?

Ans.:  A recession is when your neighbor is laid off; while a depression is when you're laid off.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to say this, bought from both and had a great experience
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont know how to enquire about the ones you are tying to sell without triggering some Arfcom action but I'm looking for just a few additions.
Is it OK to PM me with what you are selling or can I post up my want list here ?
Auctions make EVERYONE pay more or get less.
And an individual will pay more than a dealer IMO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I sold a M16a1 to Felix at Gun Point in Bradenton Fl this year. He paid me a very fair price and was a good guy to work with.

dmtsc
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
From what I read on another firearms website, at the recent Morphy auction a number (many?) of the machine guns did not even sell for the low end of the estimated pricing.
View Quote

The only 2 that didn’t bring at least the low estimate (at least when you add in the 20% buyers premium) was a PPD 40 that low estimate was $40K and brought $38K and a consecutive pair of Thompsons.

I agree though that private sales are they way to maximize your return. Dealers are buying to resell and make a profit and nothing wrong with that just not going to get the highest price and auctions charge a fee to the seller and the buyer.

I bought a gun at the latest Morphy’s but took into account the 20% buyers premium plus the 6% sales tax they were charging me. So think of it as the seller got 26% less from me and whatever they charged the seller to sell it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Rock island for sure. You are gonna pay taxes out the butt no matter who sells em so you may as well get the most you can. RI has a history of people bidding way higher than what shits worth. They will advertise it better than all others as well. Don’t go with some guy who’s main advertising is word of mouth or FB.
There are a ton of folks in the NFA world who think they are “top of the game”, most are just minor players with an inflated sense of ego. Go with an established outfit.
ETA: not saying I’m a big player but I have been in the “world” for almost 20th years.
I’ve been out of the dealing NFA game for a bit now and don’t really want to get into it in a big way. It’s a pain and everything needs to be stored forever while the feds unfuck the paperwork.
View Quote

Does the Seller pay a premium at Rock Island? If so, how much?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rock island for sure. You are gonna pay taxes out the butt no matter who sells em so you may as well get the most you can. RI has a history of people bidding way higher than what shits worth. They will advertise it better than all others as well. Don't go with some guy who's main advertising is word of mouth or FB.
There are a ton of folks in the NFA world who think they are "top of the game", most are just minor players with an inflated sense of ego. Go with an established outfit.
ETA: not saying I'm a big player but I have been in the "world" for almost 20th years.
I've been out of the dealing NFA game for a bit now and don't really want to get into it in a big way. It's a pain and everything needs to be stored forever while the feds unfuck the paperwork.

20%
but they will go down to 17% Fairly easily, I asked for 15% and he said he would have to talk to a manager.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#28]
rock island has absolutely the worst seller fee's of any place.

Poulin by far is better

on nice collections, sellers fee can be ZERO %
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#29]
If the collection is big enough you can negotiate Morphy to zero %.
However they dropped a 1921 Colt 100 round drum denting it which reduced the vale from 20K to 8K day of auction.
I shipped it in great condition.
Moral of the story;
Take meticulous high resolution pics of everything before you send it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#30]
The $600 1099 is going to get delayed by a year it appears.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
...However they dropped a 1921 Colt 100 round drum denting it which reduced the vale from 20K to 8K day of auction.
I shipped it in great condition...
View Quote

^^^This^^^ is the stuff of nightmares.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#32]
If you would have had pics of the drum, I wonder if or how they would have worked out an insurance adjustment on the price
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've bought twice from Ruben, hes a cool dude I'd deal with him
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I looked at prices this morning (first time in a while) cause I wanted to sell my sp1 conversion for a M16A1, looks like I missed the boat $$$
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#35]
You bought them for cash a long time ago for close to current market value.

Why would you pay $50k in taxes?
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I just sold two MGs to Vito at only the best. Transactions went great got a a fare price(more than any other dealer was offering) he paid shipping and the $200 transfer tax.
I would definitely consider him before any auction house.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I sold a M16a1 to Felix at Gun Point in Bradenton Fl this year. He paid me a very fair price and was a good guy to work with.

dmtsc
View Quote

When I see posts like this I cry because I bet I would have paid the same or more :(  Out of curiosity, if you see this and are willing, can you IM what you took for it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When I see posts like this I cry because I bet I would have paid the same or more :(  Out of curiosity, if you see this and are willing, can you IM what you took for it?
View Quote

Sent you IM, make sure you respond back.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same. Always looking to buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top