Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2018 8:41:01 PM EDT
Had the opportunity to pick this up for $350. Bore doesn't look great and I won't be able to actually shoot it for another 2 weeks. Hoping one of you more knowledgeable gentlemen will know a bit more about it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Are these original German proof marks?

And will this take a standard K98 bayonet?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
November's American Rifleman has a very informative article on Israeli Mausers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
It should be able to take a standard k98 bayonet, as it doesn't actually attach to the barrel.  I think it's interesting to see what has become a jewish rifle with nazi markings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are these original German proof marks?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/188236/20181028_145649-720607.jpg
Yes

And will this take a standard K98 bayonet?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/188236/20181028_145721-720611.jpg
And yes
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I would pass if I were you. I bought one of those years ago direct from Century. It was made specifically for the Izzy's in the 1950's. Apparently when they were done with them they sent then to central America, Guatemala I think. There was a lot of rust below the stock line, the barrel was welded to the receiver and the floor plate was welded to the trigger guard. The bore was crap. It had a bulge in it from a contact head shot or something. I paid a little over $100 and it was a shit deal then.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would pass if I were you. I bought one of those years ago direct from Century. It was made specifically for the Izzy's in the 1950's. Apparently when they were done with them they sent then to central America, Guatemala I think. There was a lot of rust below the stock line, the barrel was welded to the receiver and the floor plate was welded to the trigger guard. The bore was crap. It had a bulge in it from a contact head shot or something. I paid a little over $100 and it was a shit deal then.
View Quote
I have already purchased it. I've been looking for one for quite some time and this was the best price I had come across.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember when Century imported a bunch of these in the '90s. Every one I saw was kinda rough, the bores in particular. However, the history of these guns is what makes them desirable. Mine was made in Czechoslovakia (dou) in 1944 and has a bunch of NAZI markings with the Swastika still intact. They were rebarreled into .308 using FN barrels IIRC and given Israeli acceptance/property marks. These rifles are great relics of history but not a great choice for shooters or rebarreling projects.

When they were first imported, I think they sold for ~$100.

ETA- yes, those are original NAZI German markings. None of the numbers match on mine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a few of these and mine are all FN made with Israeli markings on the receiver.  Bores vg to mint.  Stocks still rough and some minor pitting under the wood..but nothing welded.  One muzzle was really washed out so I cut it back two inches..slid the front sight back and recrowned it...  looks a little odd but it shoots a helluva lot better now...  :D
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an old Marathon Import, FN action Mauser.  It was originally in 7.9 Mauser but later re-barreled to .762 NATO.  All numbers match and overall a very nice weapon.  It is a neat rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#10]
My Izzy.

Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#11]
After the Second World War all the Surplus German Weapons were cheap.   There were probably more K98's than anything else available.  The Israelis used 8mm Mauser for awhile but switched to 7.62x51 later
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
It's .308, and your mileage may vary...wildly...when it comes to accuracy and bore.  Mine shoots a lovely keyhole at 25m.  Shot it twice, realized what was going on, and now it's a wall hanger.  The history on the rifle is very cool, and worth it just for that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks to be one of the ones Century arms imported from south or Central America. I’ve seen several with pretty substantial pitting below the wood line.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's .308, and your mileage may vary...wildly...when it comes to accuracy and bore.  Mine shoots a lovely keyhole at 25m.  Shot it twice, realized what was going on, and now it's a wall hanger.  The history on the rifle is very cool, and worth it just for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm hoping it's fairly decent. I see https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mauser/rifles-mauser/98k-israeli-308-cal had barrels (they must have just went out of stock). Is this something worth doing? I bought it to shoot it.

Quoted:
Looks to be one of the ones Century arms imported from south or Central America. I’ve seen several with pretty substantial pitting below the wood line.
I'll find out next weekend and post pics when I get back to it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I was finally able to take it down and this is what was underneath:

Underneath the top handguard:

And this:

What can I do to prevent further deterioration?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Just cosmetic. I'd use a bronze brush to kill active rust, oil it well, and keep on shooting.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Seen a few here, in better condition & for less £$$$ than yours, but still good to see one.

Yes, lots of them around.
Can be good guns, depending in bore.
Have seen a few sniper versions as well.

Not that difficult to re-barrel either if it comes to that, or sell it on to a re-enactor to fire cheap 762 blank through!

Enjoy it
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just cosmetic. I'd use a bronze brush to kill active rust, oil it well, and keep on shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I did just what you advised.

Quoted:
Seen a few here, in better condition & for less £$$$ than yours, but still good to see one.

Yes, lots of them around.
Can be good guns, depending in bore.
Have seen a few sniper versions as well.

Not that difficult to re-barrel either if it comes to that, or sell it on to a re-enactor to fire cheap 762 blank through!

Enjoy it
I am definitely going to do that.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#19]
That pitting isn't too bad, I use to have a Argentine Mauser police carbine that was a lot worse than that and I shot it
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought three of the Century You fix'ems . Min were all FN receivers. One had a stock snapped off at the pistol grip, and a locked up bolt. One had  a stock dried out and split, with a lot of parts missing. Third was stripped clean, With a partially stripped bolt.
I fought the one with the stock broken off, and locked up bolt.
Damn thing has a good bore. Use the other parts to fix it and head spaced it and it shoots nice. The other two I made a blank shooter out of one.
Bolt closes on a no go gauge. I dont have a field gauge. Its beat and worn but complete. I shot some German plastic blanks out of it. Bores not bad.
Third is not much left after those two. Bolt is stripped and its a wall hanger I put in another stock.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Mausers are addictive.  It may be worth it to electro bore clean the bore.  Google and a trip to the hardware store to build your own cheaply is easy to do.  I had a 8mm one once that looked like a smooth bore until I electro cleaned it.  Afterwards if wasn't a bad shooter with flat based bullets.  I guess the boat tails didn't engage the rifling as well.  If you rebarrel you could go back 8mm and use a take off barrel from a Sporter project which could be a cheaper option.  Be on the lookout for a stock as well.  Yours has setback of the recoil lug and has already been repaired once.  Keep us posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top