Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2018 8:46:25 PM EDT
I have a need for a basic PC and set of plates fast and inexpensive. I know multi-curve is the way ot go for comfort and all but, I plan to upgrade this gear in the future.
This will not be worn often so I don't need bells and whistles, I just need to survive a hit from a 308 or less should i get shot. I'll be assisting a buddy on the range.

I found this and thought it looked good, what do you guys think?

AR500 Armor

I did not choose any of the options except upgrading to a 3+ on the plates and it will run me $249.20 before shipping. The holster and mag holders will not be worn.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not do that. Steel plates are inferior to ceramics and PE only plates. In addition the AR500 carriers are low quality and the stiching is weak, this makes them wear out faster than others, especially with use of steel plates. There are high com 4S17Ms available for not too bad per plate and if you get a carrier like the GGG minimalist it's low cost but still high quality.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not do that. Steel plates are inferior to ceramics and PE only plates. In addition the AR500 carriers are low quality and the stiching is weak, this makes them wear out faster than others, especially with use of steel plates. There are high com 4S17Ms available for not too bad per plate and if you get a carrier like the GGG minimalist it's low cost but still high quality.
View Quote
Do you have an example?  Armor is on my list at some point, but cost makes a huge difference as to where.  Looks like for $270 you can get what is supposed to be level IV Ceramic/PE.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally speaking with armor you get what you pay for. The high com Guardian 4S17M is an example of the lower end price point. It is multi curve but it's an Al2O3 strike face, which is the heaviest material for that role. It is also a level IV, this means it only has to stop one round of M2AP. A level III plate must stop 6 hits of M80 with acceptable BFD. If you use lighter materials price goes up, for example the Hesco 4800 which weighs 5lbs for a SAPI medium stand alone, half a pound lighter than an ESAPI which is ICW but has to stop a second M2 hit 60%of the time with ESAPI spacing specs. I think the Hesco 3610 is the best value to what you get armor wise, it is about the lightest level III ceramic plate and is at a good price point. There are other good options like the High com 3S9M which is heavier but thinner, and other plates with diffrent trade offs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It is like considering a 5.56 AK. Some people are OK with them. I would never reccomend one over an AR15. On paper both shoot 5.56, hold 30 rounds, and seem similar. In actuality, one is way lighter, more ergonomic, more accurate, more modular, optic friendly, etc. The other is a clunky, junky, hard to find mags for, case of buyer's remorse waiting to happen.

So it is with steel armor. I wore some AR500 plates for a while. It made me realize how bad it sucks. I could NEVER reccomend it unless you could NOT afford better... like you had to save up food stamps, poor. Armor tends to not get upgraded most of the time. Then you end up hating yours, regretting your purchase, and living with crap you wont use. Don't do it. Seriously, it is a huge mistake.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you for the insite on this, I am very new to the armor game.

I went to the High Com website, is that $199 per plate or for a set?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its per plate. I just got a set of plates from them. I believe they also have a coupon code for 20% off.  I think it's "ar15.com" if that still works. Others will chime in if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I'll need to see if I can swing that price of the plates.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its per plate. I just got a set of plates from them. I believe they also have a coupon code for 20% off.  I think it's "ar15.com" if that still works. Others will chime in if I'm wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The coupon code still works. I'm not sure if it matters but I think it's supposed to be in all caps.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Ceramic is the only way to go IMO

It's light weight and stops all threats.

Steel can be penetrated by m193
PE can be penetrated by m855

A level 3 ceramic plate will stop both of those 5.56 threats and per the testing I've seen online will even stop the new m855A1
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Checkout RMA Defense. I was able to get their 1155 level 4 plates and a Banshee plate carrier for a great price directly from them and they ship very fast too. Their plates have an interesting design to them over the norm of traditional ceramic strike faces out there. Plus, a level 4 rate plate is $99.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Checkout RMA Defense. I was able to get their 1155 level 4 plates and a Banshee plate carrier for a great price directly from them and they ship very fast too. Their plates have an interesting design to them over the norm of traditional ceramic strike faces out there. Plus, a level 4 rate plate is $99.
View Quote
They make a CTA strike face plate that is HEAVIER than a steel plate. Then the banshee, I am not a fan, there are a lot of much better carriers for not much more. You can get a new JPC for 210 these days, and an APC for 220.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A level 3 ceramic plate will stop both of those 5.56 threats and per the testing I've seen online will even stop the new m855A1
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link?
View Quote
YouTube search m855a1 and ceramic body armor, there are a bunch of videos. Think one of the guys is a member on this website.

It's not official gov data or anything but it gives you an idea of what the armor is capable of.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?
Anything with a ceramic strike face will stop M855A1. It's not a true AP round. I'm not sure any available steel penetrator ammunition will penetrate a ceramic plate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top