Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2020 10:45:24 PM EDT

It was surefire,  but seemed weak.  Both a 10/22 and a Mark 2 that ran standard velocity CCI well were short stroking and failing to extract. Both are marketed as high velocity.   The American Eagle was worse.

Any experience? I actually backed the mag out of the Mk II to see if the mag was interfering and it still malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Dirty rifle?

I’ve used both with no issues in a 15/22.

And pistols.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
No issue with either in 10/22 or a savage.  Had a little trouble with FTFeed on the old AR-7, but everything except copper-plated CCIs hung up on that feed ramp.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the AE stuff. Cycles my 10/22 and Mark IV without issues. I haven't shot the Win Super X much, maybe a box or two, but no issues there either.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3561/20201214_213608-1731516.jpg

It was surefire,  but seemed weak.  Both a 10/22 and a Mark 2 that ran standard velocity CCI well were short stroking and failing to extract. Both are marketed as high velocity.   The American Eagle was worse.

Any experience? I actually backed the mag out of the Mk II to see if the mag was interfering and it still malfunctioned.
View Quote
Have had no issues with either ammo in my 10/22 and marlin 60 when the rifles are clean.

When I get a big build up of burnt powder mixed with the lube is the only time I have problems.

Scrub your chamber good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
There should be nothing underpowered with that Winchester. However, I have had problems with Winchester .22LR brass in the past.

The AE should be good to go in almost any gun (my guns at least).

However, I have posted about this before. .22LR and the guns that shoot it can be finicky. I have some guns that just don’t play nice with some loads.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Honest reality all domestic manufactured .22 ammo with the exception of CCI is marginal at best. Winchester and Remington are in a neck and neck race to the bottom of the quality control booby prize. Federal is minimally better. For best rimfire performance go cci or any of the European makes.
Until the panic started I could get several varieties of eley’s lower grade target ammo ( which is heads and shoulders above anything produced domestically) for scarcely more than typical Walmart stuff.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honest reality all domestic manufactured .22 ammo with the exception of CCI is marginal at best. Winchester and Remington are in a neck and neck race to the bottom of the quality control booby prize. Federal is minimally better. For best rimfire performance go cci or any of the European makes.
Until the panic started I could get several varieties of eley’s lower grade target ammo ( which is heads and shoulders above anything produced domestically) for scarcely more than typical Walmart stuff.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Might try a wire edm extractor if you haven't done that mod yet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'll try an aggressive cleaning and continue.  I would be surprised if CCI worked fine in the same dirty chamber that these hung up on.  I'll look into the EDM extractor. Anything to improve such a shitty session.

I'm just surprised that both performed SO poorly, while the CCI was 100% perfect.  I assumed that failures to extract would never be a problem on a .22RF as the blowback action would start case movement no matter how dirty.  However, there I was, faced with cases stuck in the chambers of both guns.   I never had to 'dig' a case out of the 10/22, but I did have to let the bolt run forward to re-capture the empty.  It was easy to extract after that.  The MkII however was much sticker, and the bolt could only be made to re-pull the empties out about half the time.  A small screwdriver had to be used the other half.  The MkII worked just fine a week ago using what I think was Federal 'Semi Auto'.  I generally have so much luck with .22, that I don't even bother with worrying about brands/types for short range or unsuppressed work.

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Tinkering with the gun to solve a problem due to low quality ammo is a faulty exercise. I know times are tough regarding ammo supply, and you might have to stick with what you can find. Try to be patient and get some better ammo. The gold standard in domestic plinking ammo is CCI for good reason. Much better quality and if your gun won’t run CCI then you know there is a problem with the gun.
I have a small local shop still selling pre panic price ammo, ( limited to 2 boxes or one bulk pack per visit) and also have gotten lucky stopping at my local wal marts where I have gotten CCI still ( usually limited to 3 box purchase each visit also)
Every where else is hit and miss. Just have to keep looking.
Honestly one of the better brands I have used in cheap plinker grade ammo is the Mexican aguila which my experience bets out Remington Winchester and federal for quality at great price ( my last purchases of these were $29/500 at sportsman’s warehouse about a month ago and $14/250 at my local shop.)

We are even getting to the point where the mid quality European ammo has dried up and about the only thing fairly easy to find is the high end ($15+ per box) European stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I've shot a lot of it with no reliability issues at all.  My guess is also that it's probably dirty guns.  My Walther P22 tends to gum up faster than my other guns.  Shoots great but requires more frequent deep cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Clean your chamber and maybe polish with some Flitz

You can also put a few drops of oil on the rounds in the magazine to aid in extraction, that was a trick I learned when shooting Bullseye.

I also learned in Bullseye to never clean your barrel when the pistol shoots well. I did that and it took a brick to get it shooting the same again. I was told there was something about the lead bullet smoothing out any defects in the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#14]
These days, no such thing as junk ammo.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve had the American Eagle fail to extract on my SR22 pistol when it was new. I haven’t shot it lately in there. I would have to use a dowel to extract it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Serious question... is a 10/22 supposed to cycle standard velocity? Provided "normal" operating conditions.

My TCR22 doesn't like to run standard ammo without a silencer. Aguila subsonic is better than CCI SV for cycling, but still not without fault. Screw on a can and it runs everything (backpressure and all).

Two of my friends fell in love with my TCR and got themselves one each for Christmas. They don't NFA (yet, I'm working on it), and I'm worried about theirs functioning with whatever ammo can be had these days. I'm pretty well invested in standard loads and only keep a brick or two of specialty HV ammo for hunting groundhogs.

Maybe this weekend we'll get out and try them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I've shot both and still have some of both. No problems at all in a 10/22 or Mark IV. The SuperX shoots like Minimags.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Serious question... is a 10/22 supposed to cycle standard velocity? Provided "normal" operating conditions.

View Quote
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My TCR22 doesn't like to run standard ammo without a silencer. Aguila subsonic is better than CCI SV for cycling, but still not without fault. Screw on a can and it runs everything (backpressure and all).

Two of my friends fell in love with my TCR and got themselves one each for Christmas. They don't NFA (yet, I'm working on it), and I'm worried about theirs functioning with whatever ammo can be had these days. I'm pretty well invested in standard loads and only keep a brick or two of specialty HV ammo for hunting groundhogs.

Maybe this weekend we'll get out and try them.
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Killed a whole lot of groundhogs with the Winchester out of my Remington 597. No issues at all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I’ve never had any issues with either.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#22]
To the OP, I'd consider what you have generic ammo. Yeah, probably equivalent to cci minimags. Which I don't have particularly good results with on paper. The minimag segmented perform excellently on groundhog size game with head/neck shots. Regular HP minis would likely do better if accuracy/range makes chest hits more likely. CCI segmented projectiles perform as advertised across all power levels, even at 50 yards, when shot into water jugs and watermelons (that was a fun day).

I do not use segmented on meat-game unless I can guarantee headshots. They just tear up squirrel/rabbit way too much.

Lately I switched to a winchester segmented load, advertised at 1430 or 1450fps. It's smoking hot. Really hammers groundhogs. Very accurate for a HV segmented, much better than CCI in the two barrels I tested them in. Increases effective range (groups must be less than half-dollar) from 35yds to 50yds+, and of course has more energy when it gets there. I poofed a pigeon at over 100yds with it. Great stuff. I'm going to buy a case as soon as it becomes available again.

As far as I remember, aguila HV (HP too, IIRC) has been the most accurate HV ammo I've tested. It's a gold and red box, copper washed bullets. Was priced normally at rural king. For blasting ammo, I'll generally buy whatever is cheapest for the kids to shoot. I personally don't plink with a 22 much.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To the OP, I'd consider what you have generic ammo. Yeah, probably equivalent to cci minimags. Which I don't have particularly good results with on paper. The minimag segmented perform excellently on groundhog size game with head/neck shots. Regular HP minis would likely do better if accuracy/range makes chest hits more likely. CCI segmented projectiles perform as advertised across all power levels, even at 50 yards, when shot into water jugs and watermelons (that was a fun day).

I do not use segmented on meat-game unless I can guarantee headshots. They just tear up squirrel/rabbit way too much.

Lately I switched to a winchester segmented load, advertised at 1430 or 1450fps. It's smoking hot. Really hammers groundhogs. Very accurate for a HV segmented, much better than CCI in the two barrels I tested them in. Increases effective range (groups must be less than half-dollar) from 35yds to 50yds+, and of course has more energy when it gets there. I poofed a pigeon at over 100yds with it. Great stuff. I'm going to buy a case as soon as it becomes available again.

As far as I remember, aguila HV (HP too, IIRC) has been the most accurate HV ammo I've tested. It's a gold and red box, copper washed bullets. Was priced normally at rural king. For blasting ammo, I'll generally buy whatever is cheapest for the kids to shoot. I personally don't plink with a 22 much.
View Quote

CCI Quiet Segmented at ~15 feet into the boiler room of a chipmunk gives pretty impressive results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top