Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2022 2:24:14 PM EDT
The dent can be felt, barely see a ripple inside.  It is about 6” for the end of a 30” double barrel.

Guess I could tie a string on and shoot it remotely….
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd sbs it. I definitely wouldn't risk firing it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You probably "could" shoot it, but I wouldn't really want to.

So, here's what I would personally do with it.

30-6= 22 inches.  Plenty long enough to shorten it and not have to SBS the gun or have to fool with taxes or registration.

You can actually rent choke reamers for 16 gauge guns and either just rent it and make it a fixed choke after you shorten it, or you could send it off and have it threaded for screw in chokes.

Dean Harris at Skeet's Gun Shop in Tahlequah,OK  (phone 918-456-4749) threads and installs TruChoke tubes will do that but unsure of his prices currently.

4d rentals also has a tool that goes down the bore that pushes the dent back out.  I think it's $60 to rent it.

So, there's 3 options you could pick from.

But, I love my 16 gauge guns.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot it.........that dent is not going to do a damn thing..

Most gunsmiths will have a "dent remover".......
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot it with eye protection.

Brown nose sells dent remover if concerned about non issue.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You probably "could" shoot it, but I wouldn't really want to.

So, here's what I would personally do with it.

30-6= 22 inches.  Plenty long enough to shorten it and not have to SBS the gun or have to fool with taxes or registration.

You can actually rent choke reamers for 16 gauge guns and either just rent it and make it a fixed choke after you shorten it, or you could send it off and have it threaded for screw in chokes.

Dean Harris at Skeet's Gun Shop in Tahlequah,OK  (phone 918-456-4749) threads and installs TruChoke tubes will do that but unsure of his prices currently.

4d rentals also has a tool that goes down the bore that pushes the dent back out.  I think it's $60 to rent it.

So, there's 3 options you could pick from.

But, I love my 16 gauge guns.
View Quote

Pretty sure you meant 26".  
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]
24" actually.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a 20 gauge my dad bought when I was 10. We fired it and damn it kicked. Looked at it after about ten rounds. Someone had fell on it or pried it somehow and bowed the barrel.
Even fired a 3" magnum through it.

My dad laughed said hell that kicks more than a 12 gauge with heavy loads. Holding the barrel up looking through it you had a crescent moon not a circle haha

No over gassing like a rifle just made more kick. That little ding wont do squat.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
What he said.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
What brand of shotgun is it? Depending on the brand could be valuable. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have fired guns with barrels that looked worse, without issue.

That being said, I would have a gunsmith look at it and run a dent remover down the bore.

Cutting-it down is an option too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 12 gauge Ithaca side by side that I inherited from my Grandfather.  It was dropped and dented in a very similar manner to yours when Granddad had it.  Since then it has seen hundreds of rounds through it without any issue.  Shoot it but for God's sake do not cut it down as some have suggested.  You will lose the chokes and probably have to re-solder the barrels and rib which is very difficult to do properly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]
A clever man could pop that out with an expanding mandrel

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/gunsmithing_0906/99306
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#16]
You'll be fine.  The restriction caused by that dent is less than a full choke would be.

If it's a decent gun find a smith to take the dent out.

Quoted:
Shoot it but for God's sake do not cut it down as some have suggested.  
View Quote

^^^

this!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#17]
If you notice an indentation on the inside of barrel and shoot steel shot for hunting purposes, then that dent will need to be taken out. Steel shot will hit that spot and could/would make that area of barrel weaker over time from all that hammering the steel shot will give it.

If you only shoot lead-shot bird loads, then you shouldn't have any problems as lead is so much softer than the barrel steel.

However, not seeing the interior of the barrel and it's your gun, a gunsmith will give you the final truth of whether yes/no to use as is. Then it'll be your choice of cutting off the few inches of barrel(s) and probably going to a replaceable choke system, depending on how far back the cut is.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top