Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2022 4:28:54 PM EDT
I'm hoping to hear with owners who have multiple suppressors including either the old original Saker or one of its successors.

I have a 9" 300BLK SBR that is currently set up with a Plan A host mount adapter.

It's about 20 ounces and 7 1/8" OAL (the suppressor itself is 6.5").

This suppressor does a great job with 300BLK sub loads and is "okay" with supers.

However it's heavy and it is long. There's also a substantial amount of back pressure, possibly because of the 1.5" diameter of this can (for that matter it might actually be 1.375").

I've been toying with getting something else for this host, but it's difficult to find anything that looks like it would be substantially better with similar sound suppression, but lower weight, OAL, and back pressure.

Interested in thoughts. I've nearly ordered a Nomad 30 multiple times, but it looks like it would only shave a few ounces off and the OAL would be the same if I stuck with Plan-A adapter instead of doing direct thread.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nomad TI, run it direct thread
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nomad TI, run it direct thread
View Quote

That has been on the short list.

I should add that my primary issue with direct thread is that in my experience suppressors want to walk off, and I don't want to get baffle strikes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Specwar 762(similar to saker)and a Nomad, specwar sounds noticeably better, Nomad is better in every other way and still sounds pretty good. Definitely more compact and lighter. I have been chasing something that’s sounds better than my specwar in a smaller package, haven’t found it. Resonator is close, but not as short or light as Nomad. Resonator K looks and feels the best but not even in the same league as the others sound wise. All observations were made on an 8 inch 300blk.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Omega-300 is also close by ear audition.  Specwar sound holds up pretty well but back pressure needs to be tuned for on semis.  The best part about a Specwar is you can beat an elephant to death with it if you run out of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 The best part about a Specwar is you can beat an elephant to death with it if you run out of ammo.
View Quote

This is 100% correct
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
See if Griffin Armament can give it the Eco-flow treatment
Or
Ecco Machine might be able modify it somehow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been impressed by the Griffin Armament Paladin .300. I'm using on a bolt action and AR platform and sounds comparable or better than my other .30 cans.  It can also be easily cleaned (a plus for me as I primarily shoot subsonic ammo).
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Specwar 762(similar to saker)and a Nomad, specwar sounds noticeably better, Nomad is better in every other way and still sounds pretty good. Definitely more compact and lighter. I have been chasing something that’s sounds better than my specwar in a smaller package, haven’t found it. Resonator is close, but not as short or light as Nomad. Resonator K looks and feels the best but not even in the same league as the others sound wise. All observations were made on an 8 inch 300blk.
View Quote

Local dealer is really pushing the Resonator K, but doesn't seem to be in the same league as a can from DA or Surefire.

What mounting system are you running on the Nomad?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or
View Quote

I have an early generation Recce-5. It's a well built can but the back pressure is horrible, and I ended up switching to a CGS on the carbine it was on.

I appreciate the advice but have zero interest in getting a can and having it modified or getting some kind of one off thing done to it to improve the performance. I want to get something that performs reasonably well stock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been impressed by the Griffin Armament Paladin .300. I'm using on a bolt action and AR platform and sounds comparable or better than my other .30 cans.  It can also be easily cleaned (a plus for me as I primarily shoot subsonic ammo).
View Quote

The paladin is even larger than my already pretty good sized Saker with the Plan A mount on it so this doesn't seem to solve any of my issues.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have an early generation Recce-5. It's a well built can but the back pressure is horrible, and I ended up switching to a CGS on the carbine it was on.

I appreciate the advice but have zero interest in getting a can and having it modified or getting some kind of one off thing done to it to improve the performance. I want to get something that performs reasonably well stock.
View Quote

I understand completely. My thinking was cost savings over a new can and stamp.

Reading is hard for me apparently
Is your recce5 the latest generation with the newest baffles? (Disclaimer: I own two OSS cans and an EA Vox S. The griffin recce7 wasn't in stock when I was shopping for a baffled can, otherwise I was going with the gen4 griffin)
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My EA Vox goes between a 9" mcx and a 7" phoney badger.
It's light and plenty quiet.
Bravo thread pattern on both ends, so many mounting options available.

Not my video
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Local dealer is really pushing the Resonator K, but doesn't seem to be in the same league as a can from DA or Surefire.

What mounting system are you running on the Nomad?
View Quote

I’m running the xeno on it currently, I have also run it direct and with asr, I’m pretty heavily invested in ASR and xeno is my first adventure with something new, I do like the xeno, it is simple. Resonator K sounds better than sandman K and is a really nice little can and does a good job,  but is nothing like it’s bigger brother sound wise, not even close.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’m running the xeno on it currently, I have also run it direct and with asr, I’m pretty heavily invested in ASR and xeno is my first adventure with something new, I do like the xeno, it is simple. Resonator K sounds better than sandman K and is a really nice little can and does a good job,  but is nothing like it’s bigger brother sound wise, not even close.
View Quote

Haven’t looked into Xeno but my understanding is it solves some of the weight/size issues with Keymo. I’ve been pretty happy with taper and Griffin Plan A on the suppressors I’ve used them on.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or
View Quote

Wait is this a thing?

@Green0
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm sorry but no we don't have any experience with the Saker.  With our tube over cans we can upgrade them for a fee but a Saker would be kind of wild.  That would be a very custom service.
View Quote

What if someone with a saker volunteered to be a tester
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone have thoughts on SilencerCo 36M?

It seems that it might actually check most of my boxes. In the short configuration it only weighs about 12 ounces with the QD adapter and would be at least an inch shorter than the Saker.

And if I want to run it quieter on the same 300BLK host or other firearms I can run it in the long configuration.

About the only thing I don't dig about it is the mounting system... but I might even consider going direct thread on it. Surprised there's not much discussion of this silencer in the forum.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I have several 30 cal cans and my favorite is my Nomad Ti.  It weighs noting and is ridiculously quiet on my Remington model 7 with 300 Blk subs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have several 30 cal cans and my favorite is my Nomad Ti.  It weighs noting and is ridiculously quiet on my Remington model 7 with 300 Blk subs.
View Quote

Dead Air Nomad is an excellent can, but even in direct thread configuration it would be longer than 36M and probably won't suppress subsonic 300BLK any better since it's a pretty easy round to suppress.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I like my saker 7.62 but as you point out the weight and length is a bit excessive compared to modern cans.  I still use it as a hard use suppressor on my short barreled FAL.  But I prefer the omega 300 on everything else.  There are newer cans and better mounts, but I haven’t had any issues with ASR and use it with my 556 suppressors as well.

I would look at an Omega 300 for a second rifle suppressor.  

-Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like my saker 7.62 but as you point out the weight and length is a bit excessive compared to modern cans.  I still use it as a hard use suppressor on my short barreled FAL.  But I prefer the omega 300 on everything else.  There are newer cans and better mounts, but I haven’t had any issues with ASR and use it with my 556 suppressors as well.

-Mike
View Quote

I have other rifle cans.

I would say this is going to be a dedicated can for 300BLK sub and supers but there's maybe a 10% use case where I might put it on something else. The saker would end up getting moved to my .308 and 6.5CM guns since it's more than up to the task for those guns.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have other rifle cans.

I would say this is going to be a dedicated can for 300BLK sub and supers but there's maybe a 10% use case where I might put it on something else. The saker would end up getting moved to my .308 and 6.5CM guns since it's more than up to the task for those guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mike

I have other rifle cans.

I have been curious about using a 30 cal ‘k’ can on 300blk.  I am in general not a big fan of ‘k’ 30 cal suppressors (i prefer them in 556).

Maybe for that specific use a sandman ‘k’ might be a good fit.

-Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I can tell you that a resonator K is loud compared to a resonator on 300 blk sub. You do have to take into consideration that the Resonator sounds amazing. To my untrained ear it sounds noticeably better than my Nomad. I also found it quieter than omega 300 and omega 36n. All of those listed are in a different league than the K cans I have heard.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#25]
An Omega-300 with a Plan A mount and flat front cap is almost a k-can.  Same with a Vox-S.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 3:29:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I can tell you that a resonator K is loud compared to a resonator on 300 blk sub. You do have to take into consideration that the Resonator sounds amazing. To my untrained ear it sounds noticeably better than my Nomad. I also found it quieter than omega 300 and omega 36n. All of those listed are in a different league than the K cans I have heard.
View Quote

Concur. The R2 sounds ridiculous especially on my 300 blk bolt gun.  Both my Sandman K and S are meh at best.  The Wolfman in long config also sounds good in that role.  It also has the wipe endcap.  Not the best accessory for accuracy but damn is it nice for sound reduction.  Touching off a sub and watching friends reactions is worth every penny when you see their face afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I made my decision today and ordered a Nomad Ti. I will likely run it direct threaded but Plan A is also an option. I chose it based on weight but also the low blowback due to it being a large volume advanced baffle design can.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Good call.

As long as your not going hog wild and doing mag dump after mag dump through it that will give you excellent service.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well I made my decision today and ordered a Nomad Ti. I will likely run it direct threaded but Plan A is also an option. I chose it based on weight but also the low blowback due to it being a large volume advanced baffle design can.
View Quote

Good choice, you can run your Saker on anything with abusive firing rates, and you'll probably wind up using the Nomad TI for everything else, it's really a standout can.

My Saker 762  pretty much sits in the safe these days in favor of my lighter cans my favorite of which is my Nomad TI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top