Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2020 9:06:31 PM EDT
I have owned the Tactical Tailor pack, I didn't like it.  It's just a great big sack with no compression, no shape and it's tough to keep stuff from sloshing around in it.

I want to set up a pack/chest rig for hunting in the west, so long range type shooting.  Spotting scope, maybe a pad to sit on, shooting sticks/tripod and some related gear.

The chest rig would carry a couple of mags, admin kit...  Pretty minimal and preferably a buckle attachment so I can swap it out if I want to.

Any idea?
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
HSP Chest rig with a HSP Flat PAck Plus may work for you
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I second HSP. I haven't tried their Flatpack, but have heard nothing but good things about it. I have a D3CRM and love it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The Haley Flatpack, even the Plus verison, is pretty small.  It's likely not going to be large enough to hold that amount of hunting gear.  It also doesn't have any sort of pack frame or structure, so it will be just as floppy as your TT pack, only smaller.

A better bet may be to use whichever larger, framed hunting/backpacking pack you like, and pair it with a Hill People Gear kit bag on your chest.  The HPG kit bags are chest-mounted utility pouches that are designed to be worn under/in conjunction with pack straps, while hiking, backpacking, hunting, etc.  Not a true chest rig, but it can carry some mags, IFAK, binos, and some other assorted gear on your chest for quicker access without having to dig it out of your pack.  And they also can be used to carry a handgun if so desired.  If you really want to set one up more like a true chest rig, you can get a Recon model (which has MOLLE on the exterior)) and attach mag pouches to the front of it.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure why you want a chest rig if you have a backpack. Just throw your mags and admin stuff on the pack. Perhaps wear a fanny pack with your admin items (carry it in/on the pack and take it off then wear it when you drop the pack).

As for a pack, what is your price point? The following three brands are solid choices.

Kifaru
Eberlestock
Mystery Ranch
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure why you want a chest rig if you have a backpack. Just throw your mags and admin stuff on the pack.
View Quote

Because then you have to take your pack off every time you need something, or have a buddy around to get it out of your pack for you.  And you have to take the entire pack with you everywhere.

A separate chest rig/pouch, fanny pack, or belt alleviates those issues.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not sure why you want a chest rig if you have a backpack. Just throw your mags and admin stuff on the pack. Perhaps wear a fanny pack with your admin items (carry it in/on the pack and take it off then wear it when you drop the pack).

As for a pack, what is your price point? The following three brands are solid choices.

Kifaru
Eberlestock
Mystery Ranch
View Quote

The chest rig is just for the stuff you want frequently and/or in a hurry.  For hiking and hunting there's stuff I probably won't touch on the entire trip and still want it with me whenever I go out, and other stuff I'll touch 100 times a day.

I had the Eberlestock for a while and didn't care for that either, The other two are both Dana designed stuff aren't they?  MR is my next pack, I like the idea of the HPG chest panel.

Thanks gents.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
HPG Heavy Recon.. I love mine.  I use it for hiking, camping, mountain bike riding, ATV's.  Great piece of gear.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Haley Flatpack, even the Plus verison, is pretty small.  It's likely not going to be large enough to hold that amount of hunting gear.  It also doesn't have any sort of pack frame or structure, so it will be just as floppy as your TT pack, only smaller.

A better bet may be to use whichever larger, framed hunting/backpacking pack you like, and pair it with a Hill People Gear kit bag on your chest.  The HPG kit bags are chest-mounted utility pouches that are designed to be worn under/in conjunction with pack straps, while hiking, backpacking, hunting, etc.  Not a true chest rig, but it can carry some mags, IFAK, binos, and some other assorted gear on your chest for quicker access without having to dig it out of your pack.  And they also can be used to carry a handgun if so desired.  If you really want to set one up more like a true chest rig, you can get a Recon model (which has MOLLE on the exterior)) and attach mag pouches to the front of it.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pQPZ2DELwYE/maxresdefault.jpg

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/b87f4d06-7852-4a61-9d55-3feb889d835d_1000.jpg

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/CVStoreImages/44b05704-e853-40d3-b475-6dc416d01878_1000.jpg
View Quote

This is the answer you seek, it also has the added advantage of keeping essential items on your person, should you set your pack down for a stalk.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad to stumble across this topic -- I just got a HPG Heavy Recon Kit Bag after considering a similar quandary. I wanted a way to carry a pistol, a couple of magazines, a light etc. while hunting without having to screw with a belt or a full pack. I haven't had a chance to take it out in the field yet, but the Kit Bag seems to be well made does a great job of carrying a Glock 40 MOS around the house.

I've got a question for any of y'all who have experience adding pouches to Kit Bags or similar items. If I want to carry a pair of pistol mags and a couple of ar-15 mags (& a light, tourniquet, and maybe knife) what are my best bets re: pouch selection and placement?

I have been looking for one of BFG's triple Stackable Ten-Speed M4 Mag Pouch in MC but am considering going with a double or something dumb like three singles instead. I have also been considering going with a couple of FirstSpear's MultiMag Rapid-Adjust pockets as an alternative and/or BFG's Ten-Speed Dapper Pouches for pistol and maybe rifle mags on the inside of the bag.

I'm stuck in analysis paralysis and would appreciate any insight anybody's got.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a question for any of y'all who have experience adding pouches to Kit Bags or similar items. If I want to carry a pair of pistol mags and a couple of ar-15 mags (& a light, tourniquet, and maybe knife) what are my best bets re: pouch selection and placement?

I have been looking for one of BFG's triple Stackable Ten-Speed M4 Mag Pouch in MC but am considering going with a double or something dumb like three singles instead.
View Quote

Blue Force Gear's Ten Speed elastic pouches are what Hill People Gear recommends for use on the front of the Recon and Heavy Recon pouches.  They lay flat with minimal added bulk when not in use, and are still slimmer than normal mag pouches even when full.

So on your Heavy Recon, you could put a double AR pouch and a double pistol pouch on the front of the bag, and I believe still have one open column left for a TQ holder or light holder.  And then there's another section of further MOLLE loops along the bottom, which is useful for items like a knife sheath.

Similar to this image from HPG:

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve used the hill people gear runner kit bag for backpacking carry over the past 5+ years. It’s more slim than the heavy, enough room for a g19x, map, phone, extra mag, fire starter, wallet, burts bees, compass, and a small benchmade. Pretty much everything you would want to grab quick without taking the pack off. Maybe if you wanted binos too the heavy would be better for the extra pocket or recon for PALS attachment of a bino case
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 1:38:11 AM EDT
[#13]
For my hunting setup, I have a kifaru pack with a detachable lid on a tactical frame. Binos and rangefinder goes in a Marsupial Gear bino harness. Everything else goes in the pack. If I go on a stalk, the lid has hidden straps and I can wear it like a pack.

For shooting, I suppose you could stash a chest rig in the pack. I've run larger bino harnesses with good capacity for a lot more admin items, but having all that gear on your chest sucks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I just got in a Milspec Monkey ADAPT Pack (The new LASER Cut version by Grey Ghost Gear) and attached it to my PC, as it comes with all the hardware to do so. It is a real nice combo, and you can remove the pack any time you want. You may be able to rig it to a Chest Rig? My next project is rigging a Haley Flat Pack, to a Helikon-Tex Mini-Rig harness. I had the HSP on the PC, and the new ADAPT isn't *that* much bulkier (I compressed it down with some Z-Clips on the MOLLE sides).

Top Top