Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2023 1:35:05 PM EDT
Looking hard at a 5" barrel model. Want to make sure I'm not overlooking a better option at the price point, but I don't believe I am. Will end up SBR'ing and suppressing it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSchell1309] [#2]
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:
Looking hard at a 5" barrel model. Want to make sure I'm not overlooking a better option at the price point, but I don't believe I am. Will end up SBR'ing and suppressing it.
View Quote

If you plan on suppressing I would only be looking at the roller delayed SP9A3 model. Looks like it can be had for around $800 out there or a bit less.

Only thing I would tell you to cross shop it with is the Century Arms AP5-P, which is the 5.75" MP5-K clone from Turkey. Looks like its around $1075 in cart at a few places.

I have a full size MP5 and my buddy has the 8" roller delayed Stribog A3. His suppresses extremely well. Hard to really tell a difference between the two with 147gr subs and a can.

If you don't have nostalgia for the MP5 platform and want to save a bit over $250, then it's hard to go wrong with the 'bog SP9A3.

Only other option to consider is a CMMG 5" Radial Delay kit for about $340 and roll your own AR9 which will be radial delayed. The CMMG ARC 9mm Pmag conversions are perfect with the RDB kit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Also check out the Matador arms Montgo or Mat-9, kinda like a Stribog crossed with an AR-15.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If only shooting FMJs it's the best with roller delay and a suppressor.  If you're wanting hp reliability I'd go Scorpion instead.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  Get the 8",

+3" buys you a decent amount of velocity gain.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Yes.  Get the 8",

+3" buys you a decent amount of velocity gain.
View Quote

I bought the 8" but I'm gonna cut it down to 6.5 or so. Just don't want too much added length for when I suppress it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]

I bought the 8" but I'm gonna cut it down to 6.5 or so. Just don't want too much added length for when I suppress it.
View Quote

That's what I did

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
No, the Scorpion is
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ThatGuyTheCooler:
No, the Scorpion is
View Quote

Lmao maybe Scorpion can be in the running once they make a real 9MM sub gun (IE: roller delayed).

Until then....nah.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:33:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#11]
Also, be sure to get the 40 degree roller, if you are going to suppress.  Well, I think I may have gotten both the part name and the numerical value of the angle wrong, not sure - but start researching. It's only a $40 part, but it will slow the roller delay more, for those running supressors with hot ammo.

Stribog is currently the best PCC/SMG for under $1k there is; and beats most $2k+ units.  MP5 is a neat relic of the past, but the heavy steel construction and lack of last-shot-hold feature, make it a neat 1980's gun surpassed by a 2020's gun.

Also, don't get the wire stock (or armbrace).  Get the folder.  Wire stock's look best in photo's while lusting after it.  Less so if you actually plan on running it.  Folder is much faster, much more comfy.  If you SBR and get the real genuine Stribog stock, it locks into folded position via the little cut-out in the front of the receiver; it's clever.  

The HB (or whetever) tactical upgraded buffer isn't a bad buy; nor are the upgraded safety selector levers.

As to Scorpion -thanks for getting the concept of a non-AR based modern looking 9mm PCC going.  You're also obsolete with a primitive action, now that Stribog SP9A3 has entered the scene.  Though nod to CZ Scorpion for actually releasing a complete product, vs the embarrassing multi-step Beta-test launch Stribog went through.  Sorry to those who got hosed by Grand Power on that deal.  There was only about a 1 year window before the ban, when Stribog actually got it right.  Up until that time, Scorpion was the better gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Sooo hot. Who did your cut/re thread?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sooo hot. Who did your cut/re thread?

I bought the barrel removal tool from inleadwetrust and sent it to Adco to be cut and threaded.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:

I bought the barrel removal tool from inleadwetrust and sent it to Adco to be cut and threaded.
View Quote

Nice, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, be sure to get the 40 degree roller, if you are going to suppress.  Well, I think I may have gotten both the part name and the numerical value of the angle wrong, not sure - but start researching. It's only a $40 part, but it will slow the roller delay more, for those running supressors with hot ammo.

Stribog is currently the best PCC/SMG for under $1k there is; and beats most $2k+ units.  MP5 is a neat relic of the past, but the heavy steel construction and lack of last-shot-hold feature, make it a neat 1980's gun surpassed by a 2020's gun.

Also, don't get the wire stock (or armbrace).  Get the folder.  Wire stock's look best in photo's while lusting after it.  Less so if you actually plan on running it.  Folder is much faster, much more comfy.  If you SBR and get the real genuine Stribog stock, it locks into folded position via the little cut-out in the front of the receiver; it's clever.  

The HB (or whetever) tactical upgraded buffer isn't a bad buy; nor are the upgraded safety selector levers.

As to Scorpion -thanks for getting the concept of a non-AR based modern looking 9mm PCC going.  You're also obsolete with a primitive action, now that Stribog SP9A3 has entered the scene.  Though nod to CZ Scorpion for actually releasing a complete product, vs the embarrassing multi-step Beta-test launch Stribog went through.  Sorry to those who got hosed by Grand Power on that deal.  There was only about a 1 year window before the ban, when Stribog actually got it right.  Up until that time, Scorpion was the better gun.
View Quote

Yeah I'm going with the HB folding Zhukov stock for sure. Such a sexy setup.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PlaysWithAtoms] [#15]
Originally Posted By JSchell1309:

If you plan on suppressing I would only be looking at the roller delayed SP9A3 model. Looks like it can be had for around $800 out there or a bit less.

Only thing I would tell you to cross shop it with is the Century Arms AP5-P, which is the 5.75" MP5-K clone from Turkey. Looks like its around $1075 in cart at a few places.

I have a full size MP5 and my buddy has the 8" roller delayed Stribog A3. His suppresses extremely well. Hard to really tell a difference between the two with 147gr subs and a can.

If you don't have nostalgia for the MP5 platform and want to save a bit over $250, then it's hard to go wrong with the 'bog SP9A3.

Only other option to consider is a CMMG 5" Radial Delay kit for about $340 and roll your own AR9 which will be radial delayed. The CMMG ARC 9mm Pmag conversions are perfect with the RDB kit.
View Quote

@JSchell1309

There are A3, A3G, and A3S variants right now.  Is the A3 the only one of those you recommend suppressing? The shorter barrel of the A3S and the magazine compatibility of the A3G both appeal to me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:

@JSchell1309

There are A3, A3G, and A3S variants right now.  Is the A3 the only one of those you recommend suppressing? The shorter barrel of the A3S and the magazine compatibility of the A3G both appeal to me.
View Quote

My first link was to the A3S since the OP said he wanted a 5" barrel. I don't have experience with the 5" personally but my friends 8" A3 is a smooth shooter and suppresses as well as my 8" MP5 clone, as best as we could tell.

If you can deal with the length and weight increase, the 8" may be the smoother shooter and quieter suppressed to shooter's ear. Thats essentially how the MP5 and MP5-K stack up to each other.

I was mainly trying to say to go for any "3" model as you want roller delayed. Direct blowback isn't worth investing into if you are wanting to suppress.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#17]
10mm variant...Just waiting for it to arrive at the ffl Wednesday...
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#18]
BT ghm9 sometimes for sale at bereli for 999
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Freaking love my stribog.  It’s one my favorites to shoot
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JSchell1309:

My first link was to the A3S since the OP said he wanted a 5" barrel. I don't have experience with the 5" personally but my friends 8" A3 is a smooth shooter and suppresses as well as my 8" MP5 clone, as best as we could tell.

If you can deal with the length and weight increase, the 8" may be the smoother shooter and quieter suppressed to shooter's ear. Thats essentially how the MP5 and MP5-K stack up to each other.

I was mainly trying to say to go for any "3" model as you want roller delayed. Direct blowback isn't worth investing into if you are wanting to suppress.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 7:43:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChickenDaddy] [#21]
Mp5 clone

Scorpion evo

But id like to try a striborg
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Try the factory.  It's cheap, light, and supports the integrated lock cut on the underside of the reciever.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Try the factory.  It's cheap, light, and supports the integrated lock cut on the underside of the reciever.
View Quote

Checked it out, but not really my aesthetic to be honest.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I really did not like the first gen Stribog and found it to be relatively cheap feeling overall, but the newer models are a bit nicer. I personally would recommend the B&T GHM9, which can be found for a hair under $1K on occasion. It's a far nicer firearm, smoother and has good support.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Skullsoldier:
I really did not like the first gen Stribog and found it to be relatively cheap feeling overall, but the newer models are a bit nicer. I personally would recommend the B&T GHM9, which can be found for a hair under $1K on occasion. It's a far nicer firearm, smoother and has good support.
View Quote

Really? That's interesting. Haven't really seen anyone see that in the videos of watched.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Knowing what I know now and stockpile of scorpion mags

I'd get a stribog a3 with scorpion mag lower
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By craig24680:

View Quote

That’s what I did. Best 9MM PCC setup out there IMO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By craig24680:

Or just run the latest gen. curved Stribog mags.  But sure, nothing wrong with that path.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#29]
AP5 is better for suppression.

I have the AP5, AP5-P, Stribog A1 and Stribog A3. Suppressed is definitely better with the AP5 varients. IMO the A3 still opens too early and has some port pop.

I really like the bang for buck with the Stribog A1. Great shooter for the money.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#30]
MKE AP-5

Evo Skorpion

Stribog

Colt 9mm carbine
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
Also check out the Matador arms Montgo or Mat-9, kinda like a Stribog crossed with an AR-15.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49519/IMG_5022_jpeg-3061662.JPG
View Quote

THEY used to make cz 75 mag adapters too
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Lmao maybe Scorpion can be in the running once they make a real 9MM sub gun (IE: roller delayed).

Until then....nah.
View Quote

exactly!  wtf is this blowback, $800 hipoint clone !?  i wanted one, but then they showed up, and dont have a locked or delayed breech, so i skipped it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:33:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#34]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

I have the AP5, AP5-P, Stribog A1 and Stribog A3. Suppressed is definitely better with the AP5 varients. IMO the A3 still opens too early and has some port pop.

I really like the bang for buck with the Stribog A1. Great shooter for the money.
View Quote

What angle roller weight are you using on the Stribog?  The US marked one?  There are actually 3.  
US - open easy on weak ammo
(Factory) - unmarked, for real ammo
And a surpressed verson with a sharp angle for suppressed gun usage (this one is hard to find)

If you are running US marked one, while suppressed  - then yea, I bet that didn't go well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:58:23 AM EDT
[#35]

What angle roller weight are you using on the Stribog?  The US marked one?  There are actually 3.  
US - open easy on weak ammo
(Factory) - unmarked, for real ammo
And a surpressed verson with a sharp angle for suppressed gun usage (this one is hard to find)

If you are running US marked one, while suppressed  - then yea, I bet that didn't go well.
View Quote
I didn't realize other angles are available

It's probably the US or the Factory one. I'll have to go look for the Suppressed roller weight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:05:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#36]

View Quote

With the 40 degree roller block it’s every bit as soft as an MP5 suppressed.

Setup correctly, there’s not a single thing about an MP5 that’s better than the Stribog.

If the MP5 didn’t have this strange cult following for being so iconic, people would finally start calling it out for the outdated relic it really is.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#37]

With the 40 degree roller block it's every bit as sioft as an MP5 suppressed.

Setup correctly, there's not a single thing about an MP5 that's better than the Stribog.

If the MP5 didn't have this strange cult following for being so iconic, people would finally start calling it out for the outdated relic it really is.
View Quote
Any good US websites to order the 40 degree roller block from?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

I emailed Global Ordnance and told them I’m running the gun 100% suppressed only and asked about buying a 40 degree.
Guy replied back and said what’s your address, I’ll have one sent to you. $0.00 and 3 days later I had it.

Global’s customer support is absolutely 10/10.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#39]

I emailed Global Ordnance and told them I’m running the gun 100% suppressed only and asked about buying a 40 degree.
Guy replied back and said what’s your address, I’ll have one sent to you. $0.00 and 3 days later I had it.

View All Quotes

Well shit, I ordered mine from Estonia.  Good site actually, I didn't know they did IDPA/USPCA there.  Didn't know GO would just send one for free. Even better -  that's awesome!

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Can I get someone with a 40 degree piece and an MP5 clone to report on suppressed quality?

I only to hear from someone that actually has both. I've been down this road so many times and been lied to so many times (lol B&T fanboys).

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By new21022:
Can I get someone with a 40 degree piece and an MP5 clone to report on suppressed quality?

I only to hear from someone that actually has both. I've been down this road so many times and been lied to so many times (lol B&T fanboys).

Thanks
View Quote

Ah B&T.  The new US Army submachine gun that's so great the US Army ordered 315 of them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By new21022:

Thanks
View Quote

I’ve only shot an MP5 unsuppressed and it’s been a while. But I don’t remember it being any softer than my unsuppressed A3…

In some of the FB groups I’m in, guys who own both or have access to both via friends, etc say that they can’t tell a difference between the two.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#43]

I've only shot an MP5 unsuppressed and it's been a while. But I don't remember it being any softer than my unsuppressed A3

In some of the FB groups I'm in, guys who own both or have access to both via friends, etc say that they can't tell a difference between the two.
View Quote
I find all the strings and mp5's to be pretty soft shooters.

It's the sound suppressed that's better from the mp5.

Hopefully I can get one of the 40 degree locking blocks soon and be able to compare the sound after the change.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I have both. The MP5 is softer, it is heavier and has a lighter bolt carrier.

Stribog:
Attachment Attached File

Mp5k:
Attachment Attached File

That said, the Stribog has better ergos, bolt hold open, mine takes scorpion mags (I use cheap PSA mags), better trigger. Much easier to clean and field strip, it's lighter. I cut my.barrel down and threaded it so it has the shortest barrel with a full rail. Some downsides are the stock mags suck, some issues early on with frame rail peening (doesn't seem to show up anymore that I've seen).

Also imported vs domestic produced (PTR is the best clone).

For the mp5k, I use kci mags and they seem fine. The mp5k is shorter, although the sp9a3s might be close or a tad shorter.

You have to decide what you want/need/like. Make a pros and cons list.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Buy both.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
Buy both.
View Quote
Collect them all!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Ah B&T.  The new US Army submachine gun that's so great the US Army ordered 315 of them.
View Quote

To be fair the amount of smgs they field is relatively low, it's a niche weapon.   They are not going to hand them out to everyone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#49]
The M(ag)P(ul)5--AP5 Review

No experience with the Stibog but my AP5 is ridiculously quiet suppressed with subs. Hard to imagine the Bog being any quieter.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Man, I want to see more Stribogs with the A3 Tactical Scorpion-mag lower. I am so tempted to pick up an A3 and do the conversion...I really don't need another braced pistol, but I'm just so tempted!

I can find the A3 with 8" barrel in stock, but not the shorter 5" barrel I prefer...any preferences from the ARFCOM hive mind?

ROCK6
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top