Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thank you for posting that. Helps to see the size of both of them against each other.

Quoted:
TP9 with a the sliding brace is about as close as you can get at the moment. There was a company that was considering doing a MP7 clone in 5.7, but they abandoned the project.
A MP7 clone in 5.7 sounds like a nice project, too bad they dropped it.

Quoted:

It’s so big and chunky, not to mention the open bolt operating system, but it’s as close as I’ll probably ever get to an MP7.

I had the collapsible stock but sold it. I really prefer the side folder.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/236406/94C26983-E9B5-48D0-8CE3-AC967C7CEDD3_jpeg-1166714.JPG
How are you liking it?

Quoted:

TP9 is excellent and the TP9 suppressor is one of the most quiet 9mm suppressors I have ever shot. And it’s not proprietary with the addition of the 3lug adapter. Go for it
Thanks. Yeah the 3 lug adapter helps justify the expense of the suppressor some since it can be used with other guns now. But still a pricey setup between the $1000 suppressor + $2000 TP9. But I guess if I want to play, I will need to play.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

TP9 is excellent and the TP9 suppressor is one of the most quiet 9mm suppressors I have ever shot. And it’s not proprietary with the addition of the 3lug adapter. Go for it
View Quote
is it quick and easy to swap back and forth from tp9 to 3lug?
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]
@tranzformer

FYI there’s currently a LNIB TP9 on EE here for $1600 shipped  or $1500 FTF. Probably won’t last long.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/BandT-Tp9/88-1935850/#top
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s not an arduous task, requires unscrewing the TP9 3 lug collar and screwing on the HK 3 lug collar. Takes me less than 30 seconds, but it’s not a “quick detach” system

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would say it’s easier than switching between the 3lug and 1/2x28 piston on my obsidian
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@tranzformer

FYI there’s currently a LNIB TP9 on EE here for $1600 shipped  or $1500 FTF. Probably won’t last long.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/BandT-Tp9/88-1935850/#top
View Quote
That is a good deal. Just not ready to purchase one quite yet as I am putting NV purchase as a priority right now. Plus I think I might be partial to the tan/fde TP9 if I do go the TP9 route. But thank you for posting that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
ok ill bite.  other than mag in grip how are the mp7 and the tp9 the same? black? plastic?

the mp7s can be rented in wichita at Thunderbird Academy... i think... i have some i got from academy during obammy years that i bought on a whim...

other than that, just get anything else if you want an MP7, but it wont be an mp7 for many reasons
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
It kills me to think I sold a TP9 around 2010-2011, for like $700. Man, I wish I'd held onto that. I never even shot it between when I bought it and when I thinned out the herd and sold it
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ok ill bite.  other than mag in grip how are the mp7 and the tp9 the same? black? plastic?
View Quote
They are modern, magazine in grip, primarily polymer, PDW's. They are pretty much the only 2 modern mag in grip PDW's on the market, making the comparison natural.

Having shot both side by side at a FA Rental range in Miami, they are also both shockingly controllable. No problem putting 4-5rd bursts into a palm sized group at 10 yards with either with no prior experience shooting them.

Link Posted: 12/21/2019 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no real substance to add to this discussion other than to point out that an MP7 is larger than a TP9 or even an MP5K.

I am trying to find a machinist to make me a 30% reduced scale AR in 5.7. Basically a knock off KAC PDW.  Too much plastic to make a one off MP7, so this is the best PDW idea I have to date.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve only handled an MP7, but, was surprised at how dense it was. Not unbalanced or unwieldy, but, much more substantial than I expected.

The factory B&T sliding braced adapter with the Tailhook is very solid and arguably better to shoot
than the factory folding stock. It does add much weight to what was meant to be a light platform. I added the Adapter Laser light BT: 30120 to balance it out a bit and because she already gained so much weight with the brace setup.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are modern, magazine in grip, primarily polymer, PDW's. They are pretty much the only 2 modern mag in grip PDW's on the market, making the comparison natural.

Having shot both side by side at a FA Rental range in Miami, they are also both shockingly controllable. No problem putting 4-5rd bursts into a palm sized group at 10 yards with either with no prior experience shooting them.

http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/MP9%20MP7%201.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/bcf91e93935e36fc0ba9af8bb64230ba/tumblr_pms9mpDU6G1qc0pnjo1_1280.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/bcf91e93935e36fc0ba9af8bb64230ba/tumblr_pms9mpDU6G1qc0pnjo1_1280.jpg
Both of those are great looking guns. Just something about them for me, they speak to me. haha

Have starting this thread and reading about the MP9/TP9, I think I need one in my life. I haven't been able to find anything else at the moment that interests me like the B&T or would serve its function quite like it can and would. I need to start saving up for it.

Quoted:

The factory B&T sliding braced adapter with the Tailhook is very solid and arguably better to shoot
than the factory folding stock. It does add much weight to what was meant to be a light platform. I added the Adapter Laser light BT: 30120 to balance it out a bit and because she already gained so much weight with the brace setup.
@FADALdude, I am curious what you mean by this if you don't mind expanding on that a little more. Are you referencing to the greater surface area of the Tailhook brace being larger than the factory folding stock = more contact area and more solid as a result?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Another option, but it may take months to get your hands on one. Flux MP17

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I've always liked my B&T TP9-N but I would trade it in a nano second to get a HK MP7. The MP7 is about the only gun left on my grail list that I have not gotten to own yet. I know you can own one with a SOT but that is just not the route I want to go at this point. I guess until then my TP9-N will just have to do...
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Both of those are great looking guns. Just something about them for me, they speak to me. haha

Have starting this thread and reading about the MP9/TP9, I think I need one in my life. I haven't been able to find anything else at the moment that interests me like the B&T or would serve its function quite like it can and would. I need to start saving up for it.

@FADALdude, I am curious what you mean by this if you don't mind expanding on that a little more. Are you referencing to the greater surface area of the Tailhook brace being larger than the factory folding stock = more contact area and more solid as a result?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I personally found the telescopic Tailhook adapter to be more comfortable than the factory stock as you don’t get as much cheek slap (not an issue with me), the balance of the gun gets shifted noticeably to the rear, and the Tailhook actually is good at disturbutimf the recoil. The machining is beautiful and it should be for the price.

But, the LOP is short because of the ATF Brace LOP minimums and the trunnion bulges in the receiver. This means you need to make sure your nose doesn’t get kissed by the stock latch button. And this thing is a heavy beast which completely kills the advantage of weight the TP9 with factory stock brings to the table.
Because the weight was already overboard and the TP9 was no longer holster-able I added the old “Adapter Light Laser” to the three lug. It really is perfect to with a BCM short angled grip.

Of no real use but interesting to note is that the telescopic Tailhook is actually useable if you want to run the TP9 like Mega Man.

ETA:  The first generation flat bolt release found on Steyr SPPs and DS Arms TP9s is unusable when the brace is collapsed. The current round second generation has better functionality.
But, it’s a ~$20.00 part and an upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my TP9, there's really nothing out there that fills the role better. I'd steer you away from a CMR30. I've owned one and shot some others, none ran reliably. I imagine chopping the barrel down is just gonna make things even worse.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Who's got the best deal on TP9 suppressors? And how about those adaptors for three lugs?
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who's got the best deal on TP9 suppressors? And how about those adaptors for three lugs?
View Quote
Tar Heel State Firearms currently has the 3 lug adapter in stock and is taking pre-orders for the suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
So .... to bump a slightly aged thread

Can you put a Lage Max11 upper on one of Masterpiece's MPA 30s?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Lage does support several MPA models.  There is a list of supported models at:
http://www.max-11.com/MAX11S.html
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Lage does support several MPA models.  There is a list of supported models at:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well boom. Now all that's needed is an adapter for a tailhook brace
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#22]

I think an SBR CMR-30 would be a reasonable facsimile in performance and size
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe this will work?  CustomSmith
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I too have wanted something to scratch that itch and have almost pulled the trigger on the keltec a couple of times.

I wish I had a mill as i'd try and make my own

I figured with modified parts one could use a 2.5x1.25x.125" aluminum tubing, to build a slick locking bolt, piston driven, mag through grip fed gun...chambered in this little guy

fit's in 9mm length mags (1.16 COAL) so far doing 2230 ft/sec with a 34gr bullet from a 5.2" barrel (30gr v-max pictured)  still a work in progress but it's looking like 30's will do 2400+ ft/sec
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:35:14 AM EDT
[#25]
That's a really interesting cartridge, what is it?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's a really interesting cartridge, what is it?
View Quote
Something I brewed up a couple weekends ago. basically a super short .223 case, setup for 9mm mag length currently testing in a glock.

Here's the story and progression if interested. 22 Adder
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was thinking collapsible, rather than foldable
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ve decided I’m getting a TP9.  I’m going to buy the suppressor first. I’ll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a TP9 while waiting on the stamp.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’ve decided I’m getting a TP9.  I’m going to buy the suppressor first. I’ll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a TP9 while waiting on the stamp.
View Quote
My TP9N is the worst suppressor host I've ever shot. Definitely skip the can, if not the whole platform.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#30]
How much for your can?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy hell... that looks awesome. Tempted to buy a MPA Mac knockoff just to put one of those on it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My TP9N is the worst suppressor host I've ever shot. Definitely skip the can, if not the whole platform.
View Quote
Assuming you own the TP9 suppressor, why do you say that and what are you comparing it to? I think very highly of it and wish my other PCCs suppressed as well
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would be interested in buying your TP9N and BT suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Assuming you own the TP9 suppressor, why do you say that and what are you comparing it to? I think very highly of it and wish my other PCCs suppressed as well
View Quote
I agree it's a pretty bad host.  Not the worst but up there.  Extremely gassy.

It's disappointing because it's so great without a can.  However, half the appeal of PCCs for me is suppressing them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct I own the TP9 suppressor. Compared to an MPX, scorpion, and mp5 clone, my TP9 is so gassy suppressed I don't shoot it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would be interested in buying your TP9N and BT suppressor.
View Quote
I'll probably hold onto the suppressor, but will be putting the TP9 on the EE at some point.

It's a shame because it's really a cool firearm.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it at least quiet?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Is it at least quiet?
View Quote
It's quieter with the can, but not impressive compared to my other hosts.  Between the TP9 and the MP5K-N I posted earlier in the thread it's a night and day difference.  Even with 158gr ammo.

The backpressure isn't just gassy, it's also noisy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I agree it's a pretty bad host.  Not the worst but up there.  Extremely gassy.

It's disappointing because it's so great without a can.  However, half the appeal of PCCs for me is suppressing them.
View Quote
Since you quoted me first, can I get a good deal on it?

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Since you quoted me first, can I get a good deal on it?

View Quote
Different poster, mines not for sale.  Yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Following MAC's videos on the TP9, during all his reviews I have never heard him mention it being gassy or him getting gassed out. And that's something he usually comments on when he has that issue with a gun.

How does the B&T TP9 suppress? What is this Steyr SPP thing?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#42]
l do have blowback issues if the suppressor has any residual oils or is wet.  I used to clean out the mount areas, etc., with CLP and found that made the blowback much more noticeable.  This led me to take a little extra time to make sure the suppressor interior is dry.

I can see how people could have different experiences with the suppressor based on whether there is any content mixed in with the displaced air (plus other factors like wind direction).
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Following MAC's videos on the TP9, during all his reviews I have never heard him mention it being gassy or him getting gassed out. And that's something he usually comments on when he has that issue with a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0UmxKqnRwg
View Quote
And there is a guy in the TP9 thread who swears his setup has no blowback yet has a youtube video with tons of visible gas.  People are funny with guns they have spent $3,000 on.  Besides, MAC is likely getting some benefits out of B&T.  Hell they hosted him in Switzerland...
All I can tell you is that I've got a lot of hosts and silencers, this ain't a great one.   And that's with a variety of different ammo, run with the can and mount dry.
It is a fantastic gun unsuppressed, but even that is subjective.  Plenty of guys can't get over the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And there is a guy in the TP9 thread who swears his setup has no blowback yet has a youtube video with tons of visible gas.  People are funny with guns they have spent $3,000 on.  Besides, MAC is likely getting some benefits out of B&T.  Hell they hosted him in Switzerland...
All I can tell you is that I've got a lot of hosts and silencers, this ain't a great one.   And that's with a variety of different ammo, run with the can and mount dry.
It is a fantastic gun unsuppressed, but even that is subjective.  Plenty of guys can't get over the trigger.
View Quote
That guy is me, I never said there's no blow back. Go back and read it.  I said it's the least gassy gun I've shot. I then gave you examples of all the guns I've shot/owned. And in my video you can see the gas is going over my hat bill, I was shooting lawman 147 gr which I don't shoot anymore. I only shoot PPU 158gr through it now. Much cleaner shooting ammo. And now that I have a brass catcher it cuts down on gas even more.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Least gassy gun, ok LOL.  Anyway I have put PPU 158 through it, still gassy.

But maybe I just need to try wearing a hat, to direct the gas over my head.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Have wanted a H&K MP7 for some time but that won't work for me. Is the B&T TP9 the only other option that is somewhat similar? Anything else out there?
View Quote
Depends on how close to that you want to be. Personally, I went for a USW-A1 and USW-Glock conversion to fill that PDW role. The A1 is more of a holsterable handgun that can be used as a carbine, the Glock conversion is more of a PDW sized weapon in size.

The coming 2020 glock brace may also be a good option for you as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Least gassy gun, ok LOL.  Anyway I have put PPU 158 through it, still gassy.

But maybe I just need to try wearing a hat, to direct the gas over my head.
View Quote
Me, along with all the other guys who have said it's a very quiet, minimal gassy gun to shoot, would LOVE to dispose of your shitty, loud, gassy TP9. I wouldn't want you to go another day with such a shitty firearm in your possession. I'm sure you have plenty of HKs that shoot wonderfully. PM me if you want to borrow my shooting hat ??
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I personally found the telescopic Tailhook adapter to be more comfortable than the factory stock as you don’t get as much cheek slap (not an issue with me), the balance of the gun gets shifted noticeably to the rear, and the Tailhook actually is good at disturbutimf the recoil. The machining is beautiful and it should be for the price.

But, the LOP is short because of the ATF Brace LOP minimums and the trunnion bulges in the receiver. This means you need to make sure your nose doesn’t get kissed by the stock latch button. And this thing is a heavy beast which completely kills the advantage of weight the TP9 with factory stock brings to the table.
Because the weight was already overboard and the TP9 was no longer holster-able I added the old “Adapter Light Laser” to the three lug. It really is perfect to with a BCM short angled grip.

Of no real use but interesting to note is that the telescopic Tailhook is actually useable if you want to run the TP9 like Mega Man.

ETA:  The first generation flat bolt release found on Steyr SPPs and DS Arms TP9s is unusable when the brace is collapsed. The current round second generation has better functionality.
But, it’s a ~$20.00 part and an upgrade.
View Quote
Do you have any information you can share on these LOP minimums? This is the first I have heard of any such requirement, but have heard it inferred that there is a max weight ATF will declare a pistol to be-which might also just be internet rumor. I can't figure out how any of the AR, AK, MP5 etc. braces are legal, but B&T couldn't get approval on a brace for the USW-A1.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Was thinking collapsible, rather than foldable
View Quote
You're a badass. I give you three Internets today. You are welcome.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any videos on YT that show how gassy the TP9 is? Are you talking about the lines of a typical suppressed DI AR15 without adjustable gas block/adjustable carrier level? I keep hearing guys say it is fine/not an issue vs. some guys saying the TP9 is too gassy. Would like to know what too gassy and poor suppressor host means.

Quoted:

Depends on how close to that you want to be. Personally, I went for a USW-A1 and USW-Glock conversion to fill that PDW role. The A1 is more of a holsterable handgun that can be used as a carbine, the Glock conversion is more of a PDW sized weapon in size.

The coming 2020 glock brace may also be a good option for you as well.
View Quote
The USW-A1 or Flux MP17 isn't really what I am looking for to fill a MP7 itch in my collection. Just wish someone like Tommy Built would do a MP7 clone. But I don't see that ever happening. So it seems the B&T TP9 (MP9) is the next best choice. Unless something else is out there I don't know about.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top