Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2018 2:57:34 PM EDT
I just got a AN/PVS-7A night vision goggles but it didn't come with a image intensifier which I don't mind as I can pick one up and install it for a semi decent price. My question is and put away any bias towards the PVS7 goggle and tell me if this is a good night vision goggles? . I'm not gonna say what I paid but what would you say is a normal price for The AN/ PVS-7A model

I would really like your guys opinions on the quality of this model of night vision goggles

" />
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
"Good" is subjective.

I spent many hours behind 7s doing Army stuff.

Are there better goggles?  Of course.

Are they no good?  I think they're OK depending on the intended use.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Good" is subjective.

I spent many hours behind 7s doing Army stuff.

Are there better goggles?  Of course.

Are they no good?  I think they're OK depending on the intended use.
View Quote
Well the only goggles I've ever used were generation one so to me I would think they would seem like night and day difference in quality and resolution and not having to completely rely on a outside infrared source for the goggles to work like generation 1 do. I'm not law enforcement or anything it's more of a hobby type of thing so I think considering that Then these should be more than good enough? Would you agree with that? Thank you very much for your input I really appreciate it
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have time, there are many threads with info on this.  What is good enough is in the eye of the beholder.

In a larger sense, yes, there's is nothing "wrong" with a good pair of -7's.  Price point is around 2K for a good set, with tube.  Since you don't have one, you have the opportunity to get an upgrade to gen 3 if you want.  Or stick with good gen 2, gen 2+.  Lots of choices and price range there.

I was the same, in that I only had gen 1 active duty, so yeah, anything would be an upgrade from there.

It was good gear for it's time.  Still is, I suppose, acknowledging that time has marched on and there's better.

I would say that most guys getting into NV these days are getting -14 systems, just because it's the right combination of capability, price, weight, and helmet-mountable.  With that being said, there are still guys who use and even prefer -7's.

If you are just dabbling, and this deal fell into your lap, no worries; go find a nice tube and have fun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#4]
"Good" or not depends on your intended use:  hiking, driving, etc., the -7s are good.

Shooting through an optic:  not so good due to the centrally mounted tube.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree with all points here. And ed can definately work on 7a/c's. Whether or not he can get parts is another question entirely. Optically I think the 7a/c are a bit better than the B's and I far prefer the dovetail and litton type facemasks compared to the ol ITT skullcrusher.

As for tubes, one thing to be aware of is that they wont take the 10130B tubes with the flat pin contacts. You need either an A type with pin holes or C/D tubes with both interfaces, which are the most common these days.

Oh, apeaking of parts if anone has a lenscap set for one im interested.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Will this tube work in the PVS 7 A housing?

Attachment Attached File

I am hoping so because I bought that tube and the housing above
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
When it comes to that tube fitting into the pvs-7A, it can work, but unless modification is performed to the tube, the objective lens assembly will not seat back onto the wired body far enough to allow the threaded ring to grab the threads on the objective lens assembly and it will not be able to be secured to the wired body. The modification you would need to perform is removal of the three anti rotation lugs on the backplate of the tube on which the tube hybrud tube vmvontacts are located. The pad/socket contacts. Removal of the three lugs will allow the objective lens assembly to seat on far enough to allow the threaded ring to thread some of fhe way on to the objecrive lens assembly, but still not completely. However, it will be threaded on enough to secure the obj. Lens assembly to the wired body and the tube will power on. The reason thisntube wont allow the objective to fit all the way back onnis simply because the A variant was the first variant to be produced and was made to fit the mx-10130A gen 3 or the mx-18281 gen 2. The tube you have didnt come into production until years later. The first and only pvs-7 Variant that cann accomodate all variants of the mx-10130 tube(A,B,C,Dand E) is the PVS-7C. It is almost identical to the PVS-7A but not exactly the same. There are subtle changes to allow for the accomodation of all the 10130 tube variants.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
H I got a ton of caps for the objectives and rhe eyepieces.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When it comes to that tube fitting into the pvs-7A, it can work, but unless modification is performed to the tube, the objective lens assembly will not seat back onto the wired body far enough to allow the threaded ring to grab the threads on the objective lens assembly and it will not be able to be secured to the wired body. The modification you would need to perform is removal of the three anti rotation lugs on the backplate of the tube on which the tube hybrud tube vmvontacts are located. The pad/socket contacts. Removal of the three lugs will allow the objective lens assembly to seat on far enough to allow the threaded ring to thread some of fhe way on to the objecrive lens assembly, but still not completely. However, it will be threaded on enough to secure the obj. Lens assembly to the wired body and the tube will power on. The reason thisntube wont allow the objective to fit all the way back onnis simply because the A variant was the first variant to be produced and was made to fit the mx-10130A gen 3 or the mx-18281 gen 2. The tube you have didnt come into production until years later. The first and only pvs-7 Variant that cann accomodate all variants of the mx-10130 tube(A,B,C,Dand E) is the PVS-7C. It is almost identical to the PVS-7A but not exactly the same. There are subtle changes to allow for the accomodation of all the 10130 tube variants.
View Quote
@dts-blackout25
So just grind down those three dimples and it will work all though the lock ring won't screw down 100%.

Is the that correct?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Will this tube work in the PVS 7 A housing?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432670/20180528_185059-558235-577796.JPG

I am hoping so because I bought that tube and the housing above
View Quote
Yup. It has holes. Ive got 2 7A's that work fine with C/D tubes. Everytything screws together and focuses. I thought the C/D tubes were supposed to be universal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup. It has holes. Ive got 2 7A's that work fine with C/D tubes. Everytything screws together and focuses. I thought the C/D tubes were supposed to be universal?
View Quote
You shre they are A's and not C's? because ive never been able to get a C/D tube to properly fit in any A housing ive ever had. Off the tiop of my head I would say ive hade around 15-20 A's and probably 10 C's. Not all at the same time but that doesnt really matter. The PVS-7C's ive had fit all 10130 Variants without issues, but all the A's had trouble fitting C/D tubes everytime I tried installing one.

ETA. Maybe some A's were modified later on to use C tubes?? Because none of the A's I have had would accomodate those positioning lugs. Without removung them the tube sat too high and the objective lens assembly would not thread on.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#13]
here are some pictures of the A I currently have and what happens when i install a C/D  tube into the wired body.

No matching holes in tge rear surface of tube cavity for the anti-rotation lugs to fit into

tube doesnt sit as far down into the Cavity as a 10130A tube would.

The objective lens assembly doesnt seat all the way and the positioning slot on the obj. Lens assembly does not interlock with the lug on the wired body.

This is the what it should look like when fully seated. This is with a 10130A tube installed.

Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks, I look forward to messing with the pvs 7a.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, just as a final note--the PVS-7A/Cs do not use the standard USGI bayonet/horn interface--you'll actually need to get a dovetail mount to mount it to a helmet/Night Cap, if you look at that photograph of the head-mount you posted, notice how similar that dovetail shoe looks to some more familiar looking mounts these days.

~Augee

FYI
I have a set of PVS-7A’s and they fit and lock into a WILCOX L4 G24 helmet mount perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Also, just as a final note--the PVS-7A/Cs do not use the standard USGI bayonet/horn interface--you'll actually need to get a dovetail mount to mount it to a helmet/Night Cap, if you look at that photograph of the head-mount you posted, notice how similar that dovetail shoe looks to some more familiar looking mounts these days.

~Augee

FYI
I have a set of PVS-7A’s and they fit and lock into a WILCOX L4 G24 helmet mount perfectly.
View Quote
Excellent, I was making that assumption too. All my gear is dovetail these days. This PVS 7a is just a fun project to play with and create a cheap loaner pair.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
This PVS 7a is just a fun project to play with and create a cheap loaner pair.
View Quote
Yup perfect for that
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
here are some pictures of the A I currently have and what happens when i install a C/D  tube into the wired body.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r680/dts-blackout25/20180616_215211_zpsdy5vcscz.jpg

No matching holes in tge rear surface of tube cavity for the anti-rotation lugs to fit into

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r680/dts-blackout25/20180616_220831_zpsk6ef8d7o.jpg

tube doesnt sit as far down into the Cavity as a 10130A tube would.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r680/dts-blackout25/20180616_215410_zpsvztxnjn5.jpg

The objective lens assembly doesnt seat all the way and the positioning slot on the obj. Lens assembly does not interlock with the lug on the wired body.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r680/dts-blackout25/20180616_215637_zps0le8vgqy.jpg

This is the what it should look like when fully seated. This is with a 10130A tube installed.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r680/dts-blackout25/20180616_215803_zpstejqkk0v.jpg
View Quote
DTS

Looks like you are "tecnically" right. The C/D tubes dont fully seat, but with 2 of my housings the tab goes into the notch  about half way so i can close it up with no issues and im not going to mod the tubes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Tonight I put the tube into the housing with out messing with the tabs. The objective lens seemed to close up tight and the locking ring snapped in.

Once focused the pvs7a looked good. There seemed to be a touch of "fish eye" but not bad also the tube is definitely not to par with my filmed omni 7 L3 or my filmless L3's. I was told the tube had a snr of 25 or greater and 64 lpmm but it seems to be a bit darker.

Does the pvs7 glass and the mirrored image splitter diminish the brightness?

What is the best way to clean the tubes lenses? Same as a regular lense?

What are the power switch positions for?

Or better yet does someone know where to download a manual?

ETA: I found the manual online, the switch has 2 "on" positions and 2 "on ir" positions, on set is for handheld and the other helmet mounted.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I also have a pvs7a with the wilcox type dovetail mount and I use a Wilcox L4G24 mount and the pvs7a locks in absolutely perfect into the Wilcox g24 mount. Just fyi

[Rquote]Quoted:
Also, just as a final note--the PVS-7A/Cs do not use the standard USGI bayonet/horn interface--you'll actually need to get a dovetail mount to mount it to a helmet/Night Cap, if you look at that photograph of the head-mount you posted,
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#21]
My pvs7a body fits my c tube exactly the same. It goes about halfway to the locking tab but it's enough for me to be able to get it to lock up correctly
Quoted:

DTS

Looks like you are "tecnically" right. The C/D tubes dont fully seat, but with 2 of my housings the tab goes into the notch  about half way so i can close it up with no issues and im not going to mod the tubes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My pvs7a body fits my c tube exactly the same. It goes about halfway to the locking tab but it's enough for me to be able to get it to lock up correctly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

DTS

Yeah until DTS brought that up I never actually noticed it wasnt 100%.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I have noticed that the FOV is a bit less with my PVS7a, have either of you noticed this as well? I am comparing to a 14 and DTNVG, those feel the same and if they are a true 40* then the 7 feels like 36* FOV.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have noticed that the FOV is a bit less with my PVS7a, have either of you noticed this as well? I am comparing to a 14 and DTNVG, those feel the same and if they are a true 40* then the 7 feels like 36* FOV.
View Quote
Never measured the FOV on anything, but as far as I have come to understand 14 (and anything that uses 14 optics) is 38 +- 2 deg. I don't know what FOV a MUM-14 is, but it is certainly wider than a 14. And even wider, while still advertised as 40deg is the N-Vision Optics GT-14 with substantially wider view than a 14. Not as crisp, but I'd throw a guess of something like 5deg wider. Also diopter changes the magnification, though not as much as the diff between these optics mentioned.

No idea of 7A FOV, sorry. Just brought this up because there are differences despite almost every site advertising them all being 40deg.

Edit: and yes, the mirror split image in a 7 does produce a dimmer image.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, they have been fun to play with and I suspected the image being a bit darker was the result of the image splitter. Overall they are pretty nice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, same comment as murtis on FOV, its usually "ish". I haven't checked my pvs-7A's vs other units though, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were small differences.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't ever used a PVS14 so I couldn't comment on the field of view when comparing the 2 but I have no complaints with the field of view with my PVS7a. Before I got my pvs7a all I ever used was gen 1 monoculars and goggles so compared to those the FOV with my Pvs7a is a huge difference
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Will,

Since you asked this in the tacked thread where no one will bother, and to not crap it up:

"It's a mx-10130 c/uv made in the mid 90s and the c/uv is listed as a omni 2 but that's from the mid 80s and I was thinking that since mine is made in the mid 90s when omni 3 and 4 were out that it could possibly be closer to that category then omni 2. Is that possible? Thank you for your time "

Most of the 10130C's will probably close to the omniIII spec at least resolution wise and it depends on who made it, alot of them were in the mid 50's resolution wise (57 is a typical magical number for res). Otherwise for S/N probaly high teens or low 20's. The C tube I have is super clean and holds up res wise to my 64lp/mm tubes but not in terms of gain.

One of the big problems with that chart is that its typically talking about Omni (a procurment contract) specifically in the context of MX10160 tubes. And people often misunderstand that. You could have an omni 6 contract order some gen2 MX9916 tubes (which at some point in the late 90's they actually did IIRC), but they won't be anywhere near the specs of 10160's that were ordered under the same contract. Also understand that those were contract minimums, and usually tubes could/had to beat those by 10-15% depending on the actual spec in question.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I LOVED my pvs-7

Wish I still had it. Might pick up another if I can get a smoking deal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I like mine. Even the big daddy of pvs7s the original baird units that no one ever sees
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I like PVS-7 just fine.  Sold mine to help get money together for binos but they were my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Harlikwin, THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!! I was thinking exactly what you said about how that list was for just contract tubes and mostly about 10160 tubes  it would be almost impossible for them to list tube info that might actually fall under a higher category. It's good for general knowledge but it cant tell us about issues like with my tube. I just sent it tohttps://www.nvincorporated.com/product/nvinc-nitrogen-purge-service/#  for cleaning. Lube and purging and repair anything that needs it but it's in excellent condition so it should be ok. The head guy I talked to for a whole about my goggles and tube and he said my tube is probably a omni 4 or a 3 and the resolution is in the 50s lpm. But it is a p23 and the darker green but I have no problem with that. He said to me when he gets it it will definitely be a good bit better all around. So in about 2 weeks I should have it back and I'm dying to see if there really is gonna be a noticeable difference.  It's actually pretty damn good as is but if it can be better in figured I'd try it. I'll post the results when I get it back.

I seriously appreciate that post you made. It was a huge help with validating what I was also thinking about the list so it was great to hear you also felt the same way. Thank you

Quoted:
Will,

Since you asked this in the tacked thread where no one will bother, and to not crap it up:

"It's a mx-10130 c/uv made in the mid 90s and the c/uv is listed as a omni 2 but that's from the mid 80s and I was thinking that since mine is made in the mid 90s when omni 3 and 4 were out that it could possibly be closer to that category then omni 2. Is that possible? Thank you for your time "

Most of the 10130C's will probably close to the omniIII spec at least resolution wise and it depends on who made it, alot of them were in the mid 50's resolution wise (57 is a typical magical number for res). Otherwise for S/N probaly high teens or low 20's. The C tube I have is super clean and holds up res wise to my 64lp/mm tubes but not in terms of gain.

One of the big problems with that chart is that its typically talking about Omni (a procurment contract) specifically in the context of MX10160 tubes. And people often misunderstand that. You could have an omni 6 contract order some gen2 MX9916 tubes (which at some point in the late 90's they actually did IIRC), but they won't be anywhere near the specs of 10160's that were ordered under the same contract. Also understand that those were contract minimums, and usually tubes could/had to beat those by 10-15% depending on the actual spec in question.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top