BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
"Callahan full-bore auto-lock with a customized trigger, double cartridge and thorough gauge"
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Get that GB Mini 14.  I wish I would have got one 20, hell 30 years ago.  There is something I love about it.  Now I want an M1A.  I'll never ditch my ARs, but my mini is a keeper too.
View Quote
What does GB mean?

Bigger Hammer, LOL.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#3]
There's nothing wrong with liking the old stuff. But times and technology changes. There's something to marvel at from both sides of it, be it the workmanship of a lost art or the mass produced here and now for your needs that's lighter and more user friendly.

Off topic kinda but one thing I like about your posts is that you're a thinker. You don't stay stagnant and is always thinking about things and being open to ideas. You're also a live and let live type of person too. You don't worry about what the other guy likes or doesn't like. You just worry about yours and stay in your lane generally. That's a good trait to have here on a board full of mouth breathers who get unhinged and deranged over others choices for carry or home defense.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Why thank you.  I think I need to post less though.  I might be getting into too many discussions lately.  I sort of feel the need to kick back against the "You have to carry what gun I think you need to carry" mantra around here.  It's weird.  Also, I feel like I see people talking out of both sides of their mouths half the time.  Don't shoot a 1911, even though I just  bought one.  Type of a thing.

It's one thing to try and help people with choices that are out there.  It's another thing to tell them they're stupid for liking a certain gun.  Sometimes I don't think our culture is going to survive because it seems like it's always attacking itself.  

Anyways....  My goal is to be respectful, helpful, and encouraging.  I don't always hit that mark though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with you. The way people attack people for their firearm choices, it's not even cool. Sure, they think that they're having fun with them but the underlying matter is that their being truthful with their negative animosity towards them.

We attack our own. What a low down shame. It's why I have a yuge ignore list.

I do what I want with what I carry and have zero fucks for those that get angry at me. You've seen them post.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I love how guns look now. Love how older guns look too, but its a bygone era.

Like cars, some love new car design some hate them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, firefly wasn't the best example of sci fi.  Since they had that cowboy theme going on.....  I was more thinking about Baldwin's gun in the episode he shot out the window of another ship.  He had kind of a futuristic AR type thingy..... It's been a while since I watched it.

And yes, it is me.  I never said that I didn't notice AR's in sci fi films.  Did I say that in my post?  I said new guns looking more and more sci fi ish......  Yes, AR's have been for a while now.  It just seem like its' becoming more pervasive in all types of guns.  Or more types.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just you, welcome to 2018 where Ar's have been showing up in sci-fi films for years.

You're WAY behind on picking up on that.

Also, hilariously, firefly uses a TON of vintage firearms that are wood and blued steel.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Firefly
Yeah, firefly wasn't the best example of sci fi.  Since they had that cowboy theme going on.....  I was more thinking about Baldwin's gun in the episode he shot out the window of another ship.  He had kind of a futuristic AR type thingy..... It's been a while since I watched it.

And yes, it is me.  I never said that I didn't notice AR's in sci fi films.  Did I say that in my post?  I said new guns looking more and more sci fi ish......  Yes, AR's have been for a while now.  It just seem like its' becoming more pervasive in all types of guns.  Or more types.
You can live stream video from a car floating in space to your phone...

If anything guns are not sci-fi enough.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:49:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's driving me crazy is that any new rifle, even if made by injection molding and cheap extrusions, will start at $1500 and end up around $2500.

I might be be living in a brand new house, and have a pretty decent job, but both my car and my truck aren't worth $2500 and I cannot justify stupid amounts of money on some goofy boutique crap.
View Quote
Your money is just worth less. Go back and look at the prices of old guns.

In 1959 the Nylon 66 was $50, which people with rose tinted glasses compare to modern dollar worth as "cheap" but really, that $50 now, would take $425 after inflation.

In the mid-60's colt SP-1's were selling for around $230 based on some old ads I found, that's about $1800 now.

So, when accounting for inflation, firearms have become cheaper and more capable.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#9]
OP should buy a membership..........and a new gun.  Get your balls and your cash out of your freezer and get with the fucking program.

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What does GB mean?

Bigger Hammer, LOL.
View Quote
Government Barrel.  Factory flash hider and bayonet lug.  Usually seen as law enforcement and prison guards. Image ripped from net.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP should buy a membership..........and a new gun.  Get your balls and your cash out of your freezer and get with the fucking program.

View Quote
I'm not sure if you're drinking or what.  If you look you'll see I have a membership.  Actually someone bought it for me.  LOL.  And my balls are in the freezer?  Yikes......

I guess they kind of are.  My back porch:

As far as buying a new gun.  Probably won't happen anytime soon.  Too many bills right now.  Although it would be nice to try some new stuff, for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Government Barrel.  Factory flash hider and bayonet lug.  Usually seen as law enforcement and prison guards. Image ripped from net.http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/attachments/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/25924d1402245252-mini-14-gb-186-series-pro-con-input-image.jpg
View Quote
I just bought one of those from the Arkansas Dept of Corrections.   I got the last one of the batch and the stock looks like it was used as a boat paddle during the filming of "Deliverance."

Attachment Attached File

It will be a nice stand-in for the older GB I have from the 70s.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool! I've never seen a 70's GB. How is that bayo lug and sight attached? It doesn't look pinned like the later ones.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cool! I've never seen a 70's GB. How is that bayo lug and sight attached? It doesn't look pinned like the later ones.
View Quote
I believe it is pinned.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I see the pin now. Thanks.
Very cool firearm.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally, I'd rather skip the bayo lug and have the sight further down.......  Longer sight radius, better for the old eyeballs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your money is just worth less. Go back and look at the prices of old guns.

In 1959 the Nylon 66 was $50, which people with rose tinted glasses compare to modern dollar worth as "cheap" but really, that $50 now, would take $425 after inflation.

In the mid-60's colt SP-1's were selling for around $230 based on some old ads I found, that's about $1800 now.

So, when accounting for inflation, firearms have become cheaper and more capable.
View Quote
Oh, I'm sure. I reflect on just what I've seen since I got my first AK when I was 16 (in 2002). SAR-1's were selling in shotgun news for $279, wolf .223 and 7.62x39 was $88/k at the gun shows, Q3131a was $140, and you only had to think about the ABC's (and RR) for AR15's (practically none of which crested $1000).

Now, the base level AK's are all $600, base level AR's are $400 (and built better than a lot of the ABC's were), shit Wolf is $220, good stuff is $280, and every new thing that comes out is $2000.

I just get frustrated because as a guy trying to work hard and raise a family, it is seemingly impossible to square away $500-750 for a new Glock or ammo at times, and the thought of cashing out $2000 for a base rifle is enough to make my head hurt.

And this is coming off a good year and a big raise that could have me near 6 figures this year. It might be inflation related, but the bang for buck ratio seems to have disappeared for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Take care of your family.  Don't worry about keeping up with everyone around here.  My brain sometimes explodes when I see how much money people have into their AR's. For stuff that's not really needed.  It's great and more power to them.  But the cloners.  Oh my God.  I remember looking at someone's pic with clone type uppers.  Each have an optic that don't even go as low as 500 dollars.  And one of the uppers had the Elcan at 2200 dollars or so.  With an mini RDS on top.  I think there was about 15k or more in that one pic with just 4 uppers.  I'm doing good if I can spend 500 bucks a year on ammo.

I have a lot of bills from health stuff.  And everyone has a different path.  But half the guys on here are either wealthy, don't have kids and make good money, or are going broke buying guns.   More power to the guys that have.  I think it's great for them.  And even I have way more stuff than I deserve.  Most were guns my Dad handed down and bought.  I've bought a few over the years.  But I've had to sell a lot of the stuff I've bought to get through tight times.

Anyways.........

Money.  There's never enough.  And you're doing good when you spend it wisely and not on stuff you don't need.  Raising a family is important and a good thing.  Hopefully you can share some of the shooting fun with them too!!!  And hunting, if you do hunt.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#19]
You're getting older, I can feel the bitterness starting to flow from you.

Truthfully, it's not up to us to determine what is too much or what another person needs or doesn't need. It's their money, why worry about it at all? If they have it, then they should enjoy it as how they seem fit to spend it. I know that this site is filled with jealous peasants. I honestly couldn't be effected by another's spending habits on their guns.

As for glass, the cheapest red dot that I would trust is an Sparc AR. But it's not an H1 or a T1 in quality. I'm a fan of good glass and if you ever plan on shooting further than 100, even 200 yards, then the adage that one buys what they get applies. You want hits at 800? Then most of the time a sub 500 dollar optic is not the answer.

So with the above said, only accurate rifles are interesting. That means you have to pay to play and good barrels are not cheap, neither is the glass or sometimes the trigger. The rest, is all subjective. Lightweight isn't cheap either. Sure cheap parts will work but at the heft that adds up, I'm more than willing to spend the money to bring the numbers down.

I think that it may be best to just do you and not trying to keep up with the jones. Your heart will thank you for keeping the blood pressure down.

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not sure  if you're talking to me or him.  I was just trying to help give him some encouragement for not buying a lot of guns or spending more than he wants to on them.

As far as glass goes, my cheapy leupolds seem to work OK.  The biggest problem with them is the VX-1 and VX-2 I bought were just normal hunting type scopes so no BDC or target turrets.  But now every scope has that.  LOL.  Well not every scope, but a lot of them.

It all depends on how small of a target you're shooting at.  At our range they have these huge black bulls for the 600 yard line for HiPower shooting with irons.   What's strange is that I've shot more long range with just irons on AR's, my M-1 Carbine, and my 03A3 than I have rifles with scopes.  Shooting 300 at silhouettes with AR's is pretty simple.  IMHO.  And the only time I shot at 600 was with my 03A3, irons and american eagle 150 grain fmj's.  I hit the target.  I'm not saying I was accurate, but like I said, it all depends on how small of a target you want to hit.  I probably wouldn't have had too much success on a smaller silhouette target that day.

Anyways........  I do have a goal to shoot longer distance this year.  Only problem is my range is undergoing a huge renovation and I don't think I'm going to be doing too much of that this year.  Maybe next year.

But you're right, there's not doubt that good glass, good barrels and good ammo are something you need if you want to shoot further distance and get consistent hits.   Especially if you're doing like 12" steel or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Makes sense, this one is functionally a first gen stormtrooper gun...

https://brokeassstuart.com/wp-content/pictsnShit/2017/12/storm-troop-bad-shots.jpg
View Quote

While some stuff is getting silly, I don't mind most of it. I've avoided the rail flavor of the day and all that stuff.

The different to be different stuff is a bit much.

My tastes are all over the place...from 1950's S&W's, tac'd out 1970's shotguns, and AR's styled circa year 2000.

The all polymer shell guns don't have quite the feel of the more classic designs, but if they work and shoot straight, that's all that matters. You don't have to buy it, and it's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Personally, I'd rather skip the bayo lug and have the sight further down.......  Longer sight radius, better for the old eyeballs.
View Quote
Surprisingly they work pretty good for me, and using reading glasses for everything.  LOL
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Like this, does anyone even like this?????:

Link Posted: 3/23/2018 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't.

But I'm just one opinion. If the guy likes it, not my business to have a say in it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I know.  I'm glad people have choices.  But for me, poke out my eyes......
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top