Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2021 8:39:39 AM EDT
I’m looking at an AK and it has the importer/manufacture’s info on the side and I was wondering if it would be legal to sand it away or TIG weld over it, grind it, and then sand it away and then have it engraved on the bottom of the receiver?

Wasn’t sure where this question would go so I put it here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Not according to this article.

https://www.atf.gov/file/4881/download
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not according to this article.

https://www.atf.gov/file/4881/download
View Quote

From what I gathered it only states that the firearm has to have that information. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My takeaway is that licensed manufacturers and importers are allowed to add info, but that defacing the original maker's mark (serial number) is forbidden without special permission.
Individual owners, it seems, are not allowed to 'move' the original engraving, because doing so violates the prohibition against 'defacing or altering.'

Like almost all ATF rules, this one is intentionally vague.

If it were me, I wouldn't touch it.  The juice ain't worth the squeeze, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I guess that makes sense. I swear they make these vague policies on purpose and the mission of the ATF is to take away our rights.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah I guess that makes sense. I swear they make these vague policies on purpose and the mission of the ATF is to take away our rights.
View Quote

Agreed - on both the federal and state level.

The rules for carrying in a bar here in Florida are insane.  If food is served in 50% of the establishment (number of seats, square footage?  not expressly defined) I can carry legally if I'm sitting at a table, but not if I'm sitting at the bar.
I guess they think I'll drink enough to be over the legal limit if I'm at the bar, but not when the Hooters girl is serving happy hour pitchers at our table.

The law already states I can't carry if I'm over the legal limit.  And if I'm smart, I'm not drinking with a gun on me, no matter where I sit - just in case.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Gunsmiths move the location of the serial number routinely.

You must (!!) first engrave the serial number to the new location, and then (and only then) you can remove the old markings.

The ATF comments are opaque. But the technique above has been in use for the past 50 years. And the people who've been
f**ked by it are the ones who removed the serial numbers before they applied them to the new location.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Yeah I guess that makes sense. I swear they make these vague policies on purpose and the mission of the ATF is to take away our rights.
View Quote

You're just now figuring this out?  It's all infringement.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You must (!!) first engrave the serial number to the new location, and then (and only then) you can remove the old markings.

The ATF comments are opaque. But the technique above has been in use for the past 50 years. And the people who've been
f**ked by it are the ones who removed the serial numbers before they applied them to the new location.
View Quote

To do so properly and legally, you must seek ATF approval before beginning the process.
They must approve the move and the new location.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

To do so properly and legally, you must seek ATF approval before beginning the process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I took away from the ruling.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
That ruling by ATF was only regarding imported firearms and NFA firearms being manufactured from existing parts/guns, by LICENSED manufacturers.

It doesn't apply to an individual owner of a firearm.

You can move your serial number as long as it's applied before getting rid of the old one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top