Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2019 4:47:08 PM EDT
There is currently a C-mount camera lens on my ENVIS, and I am trying to find a used original ENVIS objective lens. In the process of trying to figure out what to look for, my head is spinning.

Is the AVS-6 the nomenclature specifying the ENVIS objective lens, or does that refer to the AN/AVS-6 (ANVIS?) NVD for pilots? Do the ENVIS and the ANVIS use the same objective lens?

Any clarification would be appreciated, as well as possible sources for a used ENVIS objective besides eBay and our own EE.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
AVS or ANVIS refers to the AVS-6/9 series of lenses/goggles (aviation). Objective lenses are for those housings.

As far as the Envis, pics online show that it uses a PVS-14 style objective.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The ENVIS objective uses the same lens cell as a PVS-14 but the lens assembly itself is very different (C-mount) and not compatible with any other lens, short of generic C-mount camera lenses. Nothing wrong with using a C-mount camera lens. If anything, the variable stop on most camera lenses allows one to decrease the amount of light entering the tube when light levels are not fully dark and to also increase the depth of field by decreasing aperture when light levels permit. Can be handy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
People desire the PVS14 style C-mount lenses for the couple of C-mount compatible housings so you probably have an envis that someone took the original lens from.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ENVIS objective uses the same lens cell What is a lens cell? as a PVS-14 but the lens assembly itself is very different (C-mount) and not compatible with any other lens, short of generic C-mount camera lenses. To summarize, the only lens assembly the ENVIS is compatible with is c-mount camera lenses?

Nothing wrong with using a C-mount camera lens. If anything, the variable stop on most camera lenses allows one to decrease the amount of light entering the tube when light levels are not fully dark and to also increase the depth of field by decreasing aperture when light levels permit. Can be handy. Good points. It just feels big and fragile, and the focus and variable stop tend to get bumped a lot in normal use.
View Quote
Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ENVIS objective uses the same lens cell What is a lens cell? as a PVS-14 but the lens assembly itself is very different (C-mount) and not compatible with any other lens, short of generic C-mount camera lenses. To summarize, the only lens assembly the ENVIS is compatible with is c-mount camera lenses?

Nothing wrong with using a C-mount camera lens. If anything, the variable stop on most camera lenses allows one to decrease the amount of light entering the tube when light levels are not fully dark and to also increase the depth of field by decreasing aperture when light levels permit. Can be handy. Good points. It just feels big and fragile, and the focus and variable stop tend to get bumped a lot in normal use.
ENVIS lens uses the same optical elements as a PVS-14. Same lens, optically, different body. The ENVIS monocular works with any c-mount lens, which can be an asset if you like fiddling with NV. Original mil ENVIS lens is c-mount. A c-mount camera lens is not a bad thing to have on an ENVIS monocular and could be better.

Depends on the camera lens you have on it. Some have set screws to adjust friction on the focus and stop adjustments or even lock them in place. Shouldn't be too much bigger than the original lens if it's a 25mm camera lens. May be marginally more fragile but easier to replace. I do see your points tho.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top