Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2018 7:45:42 PM EDT
I am currently awaiting approval of two Form 1s and am trying to gather some of the parts beforehand.

I cannot seem to find a clear answer on this.

I am going to be building with parts from DM.

I was going to use this recoil booster assembly when shooting from pistols: https://libertycans.net/product/recoil-booster-assembly/

Is this a suppressor part that will get the ATF's panties in a wad if used on a Form 1 can?   I know that manufacturers adhere to different laws/regulations than home builders, so if the adapter/booster/threaded part is made by a commercial suppressor manufacturer, am I good to go?

Also:

The 9mm suppressor I am building will go on at least two different handguns, and a carbine. On the carbine I will not need a recoil booster.

Is a commercially available fixed barrel adapter/mount okay to interchange with the recoil booster on a Form 1 can?

This has probably been discussed before, but all these different threaded-on adapter and legality questions are making my head spin. I cannot seem to find a concrete answer. My goal is to use this suppressor on hosts with a fixed barrel, and on hosts with a Browning-style tilting barrel.

Thank you very much to anyone who can help this noob out!
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Booster assemblies/piston housings generally aren't suppressor parts which is why they are sold freely.  As a Form 1 builder once you make your suppressor if the booster is your only mount, you can replace the booster spring with a spacer so that the piston acts as a fixed mount.  That's cheaper than a direct thread mount and avoids the spare parts question.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not the ATF so my understanding is based on what the internet told me :) so we know its true.

If the booster holds in the internal parts of the suppressor then its a suppressor part.

If you can remove it and all the baffles are still held in place without the booster then its not part of the suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not the ATF so my understanding is based on what the internet told me :) so we know its true.

If the booster holds in the internal parts of the suppressor then its a suppressor part.

If you can remove it and all the baffles are still held in place without the booster then its not part of the suppressor.
View Quote
This is how I understand it. And how gemtech got the MM9 approved for sale.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is how I understand it. And how gemtech got the MM9 approved for sale.
View Quote
BigWaylon is correct . The booster and 3 lugs are not suppressor parts. It has nothing to do with what holds in the parts. You can legally remove the booster and screw in a ga thread adapter to use on a different host and no crime has been committed and no spare parts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#6]
it depends entirely on the design of the suppressor.

If you build it similar to the gemtech multimount, then the booster assembly is a thread adapter and not a silencer part.

Basically if your silencer is designed in such a way that you buy over the counter "thread adapters" (3 lug, fixed, LID booster, etc.) and use them without modification, then they would not be silencer parts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

BigWaylon is correct . The booster and 3 lugs are not suppressor parts. It has nothing to do with what holds in the parts. You can legally remove the booster and screw in a ga thread adapter to use on a different host and no crime has been committed and no spare parts.
View Quote
Pretty certain you are wrong on the first part and correct on the second. AS LONG as the booster isn't holding the baffles in.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:AS LONG as the booster isn't holding the baffles in.
View Quote
I've never seen a shred of evidence proving this determination has come from the ATF.
Internet vomit that keeps getting perpetuated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pretty certain you are wrong on the first part and correct on the second. AS LONG as the booster isn't holding the baffles in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After you have read the ALL of the ATF regulations and can point to anything that specifically states holding the baffles is a qualification for a suppressor part then you can provide the correct answer.

As an FFL 07/02 I have to be certain what I can do. Commercial manufactures have much more leeway than form 1 builders. Replicating what a commercial manufacturer does in a form 1 build does not make it legal for thE form 1 maker as many use this as the example legality

Oh,.and I have asked the FTB this question on thread adapters / muzzle devices and they affirmed thread adapters and muzzle devices are not silencer parts.

Please help the form 1 community but letting others know the answer when you see it errounsly posted. Maybe you can help stop all the misconceptions posted everyday by someone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top