Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2018 7:29:46 AM EDT
I was thinking about buying 200 to 500 rounds of factory S & B 10mm ammo to get this new gun broken in.

Then I was planning on saving that brass to reload while waiting for a shipment of Starline brass.

I did a google search and found this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1777328319/sellier-and-bellot-ammunition-10mm-auto-180-grain-full-metal-jacket

where it says this:

....The year 2009 saw one of the milestones in the history of the company, the Brazilian company Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos S.A. (CBC), also known under the name of Magtech, became the owner of Sellier & Bellot. ...
View Quote
If my memory is correct, every piece of brass (in either 9, .40, or .45ACP) that has given me problems on my Dillon 550 and 650  has had a CBC headstamp.

IIRC, it was either the primer pocket was too tight or the brass thickness at the case mouth was too thick.  That caused those rounds to NOT fit into the case gauge properly.

So usually once I found a piece of CBC headstamped brass, I would take a pair of pliers to pinch the case mouth closed.  Then I would toss that brass in my to-be-taken-to-the-recyclers bin.

What say you?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought some of the Magtech handgun ammo line was MEN of German manufacture.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used it with full power loads and it has been fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never had an issue with CBC or S&B marked brass.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used it with full power loads and it has been fine.
View Quote
Ahhh....okay...good news.   Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have never had an issue with CBC or S&B marked brass.
View Quote
Well...I could swear it was CBC.

This is brass I scrounged over the years up til about 2012.

Maybe if I dig back through my recycle bin, I can find the ones I pinched the mouths closed.

I literally have 5 gallon buckets of 9, .40, and .45 .

EDIT:  I decided to google the CBC reloading problems.  I got several "hits".  For example:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/188749-cbc-45-brass-hard-to-reload/

So....good!  I wasn't imagining things.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used S&B brass in my 10MM Glock G20C & G29 with no problems so far.
They are loaded to max or near max, but no NUKE loads. No issues have been loaded 3-5 times so far.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#7]
In my experience, all S&B brass have tight primer pockets.  I ream them a little bit.

No other issues.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I also found S&B 10mm brass to have tight pockets, but useable.
Loaded max charges of Longshot under 180gr projectiles,
scrapped cases after 4 loadings (5 firings) because pockets got too loose for my tastes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies!

I made it to the range today...well a range today...not my normal club.

I should have brought a tarp with me.

It was on grass, so I lost some pieces.  

Just as an FYI...I ran 20 rounds over the chrono.

The first string averaged  1,099 fps.

ES = 44

SD = 14

power factor based on that averaged  velocity came out to 197.8

this was out of a 5 inch barrel... 180 grain bullets.

so the power factor was about the same as 230 grain WWB .45 ACP.

The brass was ejected with gusto.

So I might want to change recoil springs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up another 13 boxes (650 rounds total) of the S&B 180 grainers.

I might have to split it up and put it into two .30 cans instead.

One .50 cal can is kinda heavy.

Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Consider Sig ammo next time.

Loaded closer to what 10mm was meant to be.

Brass on par with Star Line.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Consider Sig ammo next time.

Loaded closer to what 10mm was meant to be.

Brass on par with Star Line.
View Quote
I was at Cabela's the other day and saw that Sig 10mm ammo:

Attachment Attached File

That's $26 a box plus tax.

My FFL guy went a big distributor and picked up some 10mm ammo for me.

I originally placed an order with him for 4 boxes (200 rounds) of the S&B.  Then I decided to up the order to an even 500 rounds...10 boxes.... and that came to $177 and some change.

When he talked to Zanders they mistakenly packed 4 more boxes.  I only had enough cash to buy 3 extra boxes off him and just called  it $18 a box.

One brick and mortar gun store I went to the other day wanted either $30 or $35 a box for the same ammo.

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been reloading 10mm S&B cases.  My load is 11.0gr of Bluedot under a 180gr HST hollow point.

I get it from Target Sports or SGAmmo.  It's cheapest from Target Sports with Prime membership, but it's a good enough deal it's out of stock quite often.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've been reloading 10mm S&B cases.  My load is 11.0gr of Bluedot under a 180gr HST hollow point.

I get it from Target Sports or SGAmmo.  It's cheapest from Target Sports with Prime membership, but it's a good enough deal it's out of stock quite often.
View Quote
I haven't cracked open a reloading manual just yet.

Most likely...if it is suitable... I have plenty of Clays still.

I still have a .40 cal mould...a hollow point one from MiHec...that I could use.  And I still need to revisit powder coating....this time using the shake and bake method.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm pretty picky with 9mm brass, and would toss S&B.

I haven't noticed any problem with S&B 10mm brass, although I can't say I have that many of them.   My local gun store would sell 10mm commercial reloads with mixed headstamps, which is how I built up a stash before I started loading them myself.
View Quote
Thanks AJE!

If my memory is correct, S&B used to put a primer sealant on their 9's.  It was easier back about 10 years ago to pick their headstamps out from the rest because of that red or pink ring around the primer.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Not 10mm, but it's cigarette smoking, growth stunted ,delinquent little brother, and no problems at all.

That's .40S&W btw.

Also loaded in in 9mm and .45acp.

I had some .45acp that was from 2001 that I reloaded probably 15 times before I threw it out. It finally got too short. I never trimmed it but as you know straight walled auto pistol cases get shorter over time, where the distance between the case extractor groove and the case body are effected from slamming into the breech face.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, SGammo is your best price and service on pistol ammo.

1,000rds of Magtech 180gr is $279.00.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top