Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2024 4:03:02 PM EDT
Mighty armory recommends it.

I can’t find it anywhere except online, wholesale in 40-50 lb buckets.

The liquid stuff is everywhere.

There are lots of other things I could use water soluble lanolin for.

Do I keep looking or settle for liquid?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:49:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#1]
@Karankawa
Majestic Mountain Sage has it in stock in lot smaller quantities.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Could have sworn I've seem the stuff on Amazon.  Was looking to mix a bunch up some time back, but never got around to it.  Probably will if I even run out of Imperial.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:48:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -JC-] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Case-Lube-for-cheap-bastards

Here is the link for Arfcom's DIY lubes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I did some looking around.  Neither Amazon or Ebay had any that I could find.  I bought mine from Florida Sunshine Products back in the day, but they are out of business.

That being said, if you can get some, get it.  It works every bit as good as the regular stuff, except its completely 100% water soluble, so it tumbles off easy.  I mix it at 12-1 as its a bit thinner than standard lanolin.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazon Product
  • INTENSE PROTECTION: 100% Pure Liquid Lanolin is a powerful moisturizer that can promote smoothness and translucency associated with healthy, youthful skin

This is the stuff you need, and HEET in the red bottle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you load 200,000 rounds a year, a regular 1 liter($10) bottle of lanolin with last quite a while @ 12:1 w/90% alcohol. Been using the same 1 liter bottle for 6 years and load around 20k or so rounds a year. Still have 1/3 of the bottle left. No need for special shit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Guess I’ll have to try the pleb stuff.

Couldn’t talk my wife or girls into a homemade skincare product line.

I had no idea water soluble lanolin was a thing until the advice from Mighty.

Could save some money but nowhere near what it would cost and it expires in a couple years.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I know it sucks having an extra chemical laying around the house. But acetone takes lanolin off cases with ease. I usually put several hundreds cases in a small 1 gallon bucket and pure acetone in. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so and give it one or two stirs.

If for some reason there's still residue on/in the cases, I'll put them in a dry tumbler with corn cob for a few hours. No more lube or lube residue after that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:12:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karankawa] [#11]
Hah, I have two gallons of acetone on hand now. Fantastic for cleaning prior to welding. I love lanolin though. It’s sprayed under my rust free 17 year old car, gets applied every couple months on my wool socks and it’s in a number of our skin care products.

That now brand lanolin is available at several places within a mile or so of my house. That’s not what I’m asking about.

PEG is waxy and dissolves in water. Easy clean up and useful in homemade skin care. Liquid lanolin is not easy to apply evenly to wool. Having a dip tray full of it dissolved uniformly in water would be handy.

PEG apparently wipes off easier as well. I’d like to try it on several projects but Mighty Armory recommending it is important to me. Their dies are fantastic. Super slick finish. Beautiful machining. The decapping die has cooling fins for industrial applications! Overbuilt isn’t a strong enough word.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
www.amazon.com/dp/B00028MLKC

This is the stuff you need, and HEET in the red bottle.
View Quote

This is the answer.
I tried the past lanolin and it kept separating, even after melting and mixing.
The stuff pictured mixes up well, and lubes consistently well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By m411b30:
I know it sucks having an extra chemical laying around the house. But acetone takes lanolin off cases with ease. I usually put several hundreds cases in a small 1 gallon bucket and pure acetone in. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so and give it one or two stirs.

If for some reason there's still residue on/in the cases, I'll put them in a dry tumbler with corn cob for a few hours. No more lube or lube residue after that.
View Quote

Acetone is all they sell as solvents out here.  They label it as Paint Thinner, Lacquer Thinner, Mineral Spirits,... but it is all 100% acetone.  I buy it by the gallon.

The thing is, if you just soak the cases in acetone, there will always be a thin film of lube left on the cases - always.  The acetone dilutes the lanolin but does not make it magically disappear.  If you want them clean, splash them, stir, strain splash, stir strain,... repeat until they are clean enough.  

Personally, I like a super-thin film of lanolin as it inhibits tarnish.  I usually go straight into the walnut media to get lube off.  It gets into/onto the media and I always get a thin, protective film on my cleaned brass.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
Hah, I have two gallons of acetone on hand now. Fantastic for cleaning prior to welding. I love lanolin though. It’s sprayed under my rust free 17 year old car, gets applied every couple months on my wool socks and it’s in a number of our skin care products.

That now brand lanolin is available at several places within a mile or so of my house. That’s not what I’m asking about.

PEG is waxy and dissolves in water. Easy clean up and useful in homemade skin care. Liquid lanolin is not easy to apply evenly to wool. Having a dip tray full of it dissolved uniformly in water would be handy.

PEG apparently wipes off easier as well. I’d like to try it on several projects but Mighty Armory recommending it is important to me. Their dies are fantastic. Super slick finish. Beautiful machining. The decapping die has cooling fins for industrial applications! Overbuilt isn’t a strong enough word.
View Quote

It does all those things.  There is a reason Wayne recommends it, its easy and it works.  Ive been using it for about 4 years now on the recommendation of a brass processor friend.  Standard lanolin, even at 18-1, can be really hard to get to dissolve in soapy water, and often leaves a residue on the inside of your wet tumbler.  PEG75?  You can dissolve a tablespoon of it in a glass of cold tap water.  At 12-1 Ive found it to be as good as standard lanolin and (knocks on wood) havent stuck a case yet with it in about 50k cases, including some 7.62x51 MG fired stuff I have processed.

The issue Ive found is availability.  I used to buy mine from Florida Sunshine Products in liquid form, but they are closed.  I did a ton of looking around shortly after you posted this thread, and liquid is impossible to find, but did find dried versions of it that looks like wax.  I have no experience with that, but Im sure if you hydrate with whatever they specify it would work fine.  The other issue I seen with the dried stuff was it seemed like you had to buy huge quantities.  

Those that havent tried it?  Its a very clear difference than standard lanolin, especially when you need to tumble it off.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:00:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#15]
I did a little reading, so let's see if I got it right.

PEG-75 is different from pure lanolin or liquid lanolin.  

PEG-75 is extracted from lanolin and is "the active ingredients" of pure lanolin.  PEG stands for,... you got it..., poly-ethylene glycol (sound familiar?).

It is used in a LOT of cosmetics, which might explain the availability in large quantities.  

You can synthesize PEG-75 or extract it from real lanolin, either way, it isn't "lanolin" (according to the FDA).

P.S. - that MMS web site does not work for me.  The link takes me to the web site but the web pages empty formats and some artwork (like templates).
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Alchohol attracts water.  I've been wanting to find another solvent for lanolin that doesn't break lanolin down too much
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karankawa] [#17]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
I did a little reading, so let's see if I got it right.

PEG-75 is different from pure lanolin or liquid lanolin.  

PEG-75 is extracted from lanolin and is "the active ingredients" of pure lanolin.  PEG stands for,... you got it..., poly-ethylene glycol (sound familiar?).

It is used in a LOT of cosmetics, which might explain the availability in large quantities.  

You can synthesize PEG-75 or extract it from real lanolin, either way, it isn't "lanolin" (according to the FDA).

P.S. - that MMS web site does not work for me.  The link takes me to the web site but the web pages empty formats and some artwork (like templates).
View Quote

Not an extract. It’s a transformation.

“Ethylene oxide, a reactive and versatile epoxide, is introduced to lanolin in the presence of a catalyst. This catalyst, often an alkaline substance, facilitates the ethoxylation reaction.”

PEG

ETA I didn’t understand it either. Thought it was just a flaky wax. PEG75 can be solid, flake or liquid.

I got a couple bottles of Heet and I’m itching to use these fancy new dies. Gonna try 90gr 9mm in solid copper and frangible with enough AA7 to work a compensator. Something to make me look like a better, faster shooter. I’ll try to hold off a bit longer because it sounds like the recommended lubricant will give much better and cleaner results.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:26:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#18]
The one and only batch of liquid lanolin/isopropyl I currently have was made using iso-Heet but the next batch will likely use 99% isopropyl alcohol purchased from a drugstore now that supplies and price has stabilized.

I'm willing to pay more for the pharmacy-grade alcohol in order to avoid contact with benzene which is found in iso-Heet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
The one and only batch of liquid lanolin/isopropyl I currently have was made using iso-Heet but the next batch will likely use 99% isopropyl alcohol purchased from a drugstore now that supplies and price has stabilized.

I'm willing to pay more for the pharmacy-grade alcohol in order to avoid contact with benzene which is found in iso-Heet.
View Quote

The red bottle is all alcohol, the yellow bottle has garbage in it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone tried dissolving Imperial Sizing Die Wax in alcohol to make it spray-able?

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been very happy with the PEG 75. I bought it in liquid form several years ago, but it sounds like it might not be easy to find like that now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:38:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#23]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

View Quote

I buy 99% EtOH isopropyl at Safeway. Drug stores don't seem to carry it around here for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#24]
The order from Amazon finally arrived. Think it took longer than anything I’ve ever got there. Could’ve come from China. My back is out so it will be a while before I try it. Gonna tell my kids it’s crack rock and I have a new job as a dealer. At least it smells pleasant through the plastic bag.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
The order from Amazon finally arrived. Think it took longer than anything I’ve ever got there. Could’ve come from China. My back is out so it will be a while before I try it. Gonna tell my kids it’s crack rock and I have a new job as a dealer. At least it smells pleasant through the plastic bag.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36504/image-3189726.jpg
View Quote

You going to dissolve in iso alcohol?  Im interested!  I have plenty of liquid left as I bought a gallow back in the day, but alternatives are useful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:17:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Kaldor:

You going to dissolve in iso alcohol?  Im interested!  I have plenty of liquid left as I bought a gallow back in the day, but alternatives are useful.
View Quote

Mighty Armory recommends 99% but doesn’t specify iso or EtOH that I’ve noticed. We already have 99% iso on hand for diluting Lampe Berger oil so that’s what I’ll try. 1:8 iirc. Not sure if that’s by weight or volume so I’ll just eyeball about half a squirt bottle full what looks right and adjust if needed. My girls will probably want to try making something with it as well. Lots cosmetic uses. Maybe reloading with this will soften calloused hands. Hah.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fredshort:
Case-Lube-for-cheap-bastards

Here is the link for Arfcom's DIY lubes.
View Quote

this is the way

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:56:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kaldor] [#28]

Mighty Armory recommends 99% but doesn’t specify iso or EtOH that I’ve noticed. We already have 99% iso on hand for diluting Lampe Berger oil so that’s what I’ll try. 1:8 iirc. Not sure if that’s by weight or volume so I’ll just eyeball about half a squirt bottle full what looks right and adjust if needed. My girls will probably want to try making something with it as well. Lots cosmetic uses. Maybe reloading with this will soften calloused hands. Hah.
View Quote

Yeah, Id use iso.  Its cheap, it works, and is easily available.  I was just wondering about how many oz of flakes to how many oz of iso mostly.  Irun my liquid PEG75 at 12-1, and it works quite well, but not sure how the flakes would translate over.
And yeah, its a hell of a good hand softener
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By -JC-:
This is what I use and it's been great.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2017/05/09/make-your-own-case-lube/
View Quote

Same here.
running like 12 to 1.
Only use it for bulk 9mm reloading though.
Wet tumble after resize with southern shine media.

Is there any lanolin residue left?  Probably.
But all my reloads go bang with no issues.
No obvious stickyness either.
So works for me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top