Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 8:14:38 AM EDT
I’m presently looking for a FAL via local classified and I was contacted by a gentlemen who was selling an older made rifle, and he stated that the older rifles are more desirable because the quality was superior back then. Is that true? Are current production rifles still decent. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they are gtg. There were some qc complaints years ago but I've had zero problems with any of their stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Especially if it’s a DS prefix...those were their best builds...and forged receivers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my DSArms from the early 2000's so much that sometimes I will wake up dreaming about people trying to steal it...
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#5]
They were selling primers late Nov for regular price when they were going for 5X normal prices.  If that doesn't define a good company, I don't know what does
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Hit or miss.

My son special ordered an 18" para with a chrome lined barrel and it took 6 months to get it.

I was there when he took it out of the box at the FFL and it was a mess !!

The barrel wasn't timed right and this was visible to the naked eye.
It was so far off the gas piston was binding going through to hole into the receiver.
The finish had blems in several places probably because it didn't cure before they put it in jigs to
build it.

Went back in the case and right back to DSA for refund.

I am hearing good things about their newer receivers.

If you buy a new rifle from them be prepared to send it back for warranty work.
Their customer service is pretty good but I guess it has to be.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The only problems I've had with DSA have been on bare receivers- locking shoulder doglegs not cut wide enough, and now a bolt carrier rail that doesn't go all the way forward. Customer service has been great. My complete Para has not had any issues.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. Especially if it’s a DS prefix...those were their best builds...and forged receivers.
View Quote

I'm buying one of those tomorrow. With a DS prefix
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
What are you paying for it Dog1?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm buying one of those tomorrow. With a DS prefix
View Quote

No brainer buy at that point...
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had 3 of them.

2 were great, one had issues.

My first was an SA58 Tactical in 2017.  It ran great and I never had any issues.  I wanted a more classic looking gun, though, so I sold the Tactical and got a SA58 Classic with 21" barrel.  That gun had a lot of issues.  Mags would stick in the receiver, it never got through a whole mag without jamming, etc.  My friend really wanted another FAL and he bought the Classic from me despite me telling him about the issues.  We shot on his property a little over a year ago and he brought it out and it was still jamming.

My biggest gripe with them has always been the lack of a chrome lined or nitride barrel which they fixed starting last Summer.  Now all of their standard SA58 guns ship with chromed barrels which is a nice addition.  Should bump the barrel life from 7-10k rounds up to 20k at least.

My current SA58 Carbine with chrome lined barrel has been great.  Fit and finish are good.  Mags seat well, and I had the gas system all set after about 5 rounds and it was reliably feeding and ejecting everything.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I got a guy with a 2007 DS prefix and it’s rebarreled with a heavy 21” , he’s asking 1600. Good deal? 600 rounds Through it
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I got it. It's a post ban gun made in 2003. I've already talked to DSA and they have confirmed that this was a factory gun that left the factory as configured in the picture.

They even told me that it has to be desirable forged DS prefix receiver which means that it was machine to by LMT.

It has the integral muzzle brake that they had at the time which wasn't a deal stopper for me. So I can either get it cut off and have a Belgian combo break put on pin and welded or I may end up changing the barrel out to a true 16 inch barrel
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#14]
That’s a sweet looking piece
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've had 3 of them.

2 were great, one had issues.

My first was an SA58 Tactical in 2017.  It ran great and I never had any issues.  I wanted a more classic looking gun, though, so I sold the Tactical and got a SA58 Classic with 21" barrel.  That gun had a lot of issues.  Mags would stick in the receiver, it never got through a whole mag without jamming, etc.  My friend really wanted another FAL and he bought the Classic from me despite me telling him about the issues.  We shot on his property a little over a year ago and he brought it out and it was still jamming.

My biggest gripe with them has always been the lack of a chrome lined or nitride barrel which they fixed starting last Summer.  Now all of their standard SA58 guns ship with chromed barrels which is a nice addition.  Should bump the barrel life from 7-10k rounds up to 20k at least.

My current SA58 Carbine with chrome lined barrel has been great.  Fit and finish are good.  Mags seat well, and I had the gas system all set after about 5 rounds and it was reliably feeding and ejecting everything.

View Quote

If you shoot 7-10K of .308 out of a FAL...you can afford to buy a spare barrel...just saying...
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got a guy with a 2007 DS prefix and it’s rebarreled with a heavy 21” , he’s asking 1600. Good deal? 600 rounds Through it
View Quote

Yup...
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup...
View Quote

Grabbing it Sunday. Thank you sir
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Grabbing it Sunday. Thank you sir
View Quote

I've seen those old stripped LMT DSA receivers go for $1000+ stripped...so...
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]

I ditched the bipod. Really not needed on a carbine and I lost a lot of upfront weight by taking it off.

Now it's time to find a RDS to put on it, probably something small, maybe like a RMR.

ETA: I was going to look for something like an RMR but I thought I would give the Sig Romeo 5 a whirl. Got one off of Amazon at best it works and I liked it at worst I package it back up and send it back
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What are you paying for it Dog1?
View Quote

Hey I'm sorry I just saw your post. $1600.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you shoot 7-10K of .308 out of a FAL...you can afford to buy a spare barrel...just saying...
View Quote

Oh for sure, I would just rather not have to send it in at all though and wait for it to be re-barreled.  I'm an impatient person.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got it. It's a post ban gun made in 2003. I've already talked to DSA and they have confirmed that this was a factory gun that left the factory as configured in the picture.

They even told me that it has to be desirable forged DS prefix receiver which means that it was machine to by LMT.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9749/IMG_9643-1880553.jpg

It has the integral muzzle brake that they had at the time which wasn't a deal stopper for me. So I can either get it cut off and have a Belgian combo break put on pin and welded or I may end up changing the barrel out to a true 16 inch barrel
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hey I'm sorry I just saw your post. $1600.
View Quote

Looks like you got a deal there. Congrats man.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Oh for sure, I would just rather not have to send it in at all though and wait for it to be re-barreled.  I'm an impatient person.
View Quote

The tools to do it yourself aren't terribly expensive, but there is the distinct risk of acquiring more kits and receivers to assemble than you had planned.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The tools to do it yourself aren't terribly expensive, but there is the distinct risk of acquiring more kits and receivers to assemble than you had planned.
View Quote

Don't tempt me into more toys
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]
i cant speak for others

But i have an imbel kit built rifle on a dsa receiver. For the build i had dsa install and headspace my barrel on my dsa receiver.

Rifle works very well. Picky with moses mags but great with all surplus mags (multiple countries).

Very accurate and reliable.

Dsa customer service was very good to deal with through out.

I would recommend.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Late to the game but took mine out today and it’s been great shooter. I need to grab another one
Top Top