Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
Previous Page
/ 30
Next Page
7/27/2023 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quote History


@BBOHACH what LAM are you running? Any issues with it block the lens of the thermal?
Tactipug. The ultimate compact firepower!
7/27/2023 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Originally Posted By GunnyFitz:

What trigger do you have on this?
View Quote


Geissele SD-E, it’s great
7/27/2023 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ZULUKILO:
I have a genuine Wilcox Oasys mount and the HRF RCS and the lock up feels solid. I do not, however, have my PFalcon in hand yet. Maybe once the device is mounted play will become evident. I certainly hope not.

As for using the magnifier mount, I'm not sure I'd want to rely on that as they don't have a latch that locks the mount into position.
View Quote


Lock up with the unit is phenomenal. Super tight and solid.
7/27/2023 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Originally Posted By mah827:


@BBOHACH what LAM are you running? Any issues with it block the lens of the thermal?
View Quote


That is a Wilcox RAID. No issues. Have used it with a MAWL as well without issue. Have an NGAL on the way that I can’t imagine would be in the way either.

Attached File
Attached File
7/30/2023 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Originally Posted By BBOHACH:


That is a Wilcox RAID. No issues. Have used it with a MAWL as well without issue. Have an NGAL on the way that I can't imagine would be in the way either.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314960/IMG_2905_jpeg-2899916.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314960/IMG_2901_jpeg-2899917.JPG
View Quote
@BBOHACH
What the heck is that little thing in your rail?
Attached File
7/30/2023 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol that’s a multitasker tools nano
7/30/2023 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay haha.
I couldn't tell what it was in the pic and was bugging me.
Thanks for the clarification.
7/31/2023 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#8]
On the flip mounts, I've had several of the non-locking optics mounts, both Wilcox and SOTAC, and haven't had any issues with a 3x mag flopping when I didn't want it to.  Of course I'm just a LARPer too so what do I know. The force to overcome is pretty beefy and I can't see it flipping without permission, unless you get blown up or something.  Maybe this was a thing in an active war zone?  Dunno.

I'm having a hard time seeing from the pics; are you guys mounting the flip mounts so the optic goes in from back to front, like a normal 3x mag, or are you turning it around so it slots in front to back, to get closer to the day/main optic?

Is anyone looking at the new Mk3 Panobridge, with the RH adapters?  Looks to be a way of getting the -14 right-side, and the RH left-side.  With a flip mount on the gat, you could patrol in with a helmet set up and then attach to weapon when at "FFP" or whatever.  That would be a nice capability.
7/31/2023 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Diz:
On the flip mounts, I've had several of the non-locking optics mounts, both Wilcox and SOTAC, and haven't had any issues with a 3x mag flopping when I didn't want it to.  Of course I'm just a LARPer too so what do I know. The force to overcome is pretty beefy and I can't see it flipping without permission, unless you get blown up or something.  Maybe this was a thing in an active war zone?  Dunno.

I'm having a hard time seeing from the pics; are you guys mounting the flip mounts so the optic goes in from back to front, like a normal 3x mag, or are you turning it around so it slots in front to back, to get closer to the day/main optic?

Is anyone looking at the new Mk3 Panobridge, with the RH adapters?  Looks to be a way of getting the -14 right-side, and the RH left-side.  With a flip mount on the gat, you could patrol in with a helmet set up and then attach to weapon when at "FFP" or whatever.  That would be a nice capability.
View Quote



Here’s a top view which may help see how it’s mounted.

The new pano bridge is awesome and makes me want a mono to go with helmet mounted thermal.

Attached File
7/31/2023 8:00:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966][Edited] [#10]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Diz:
On the flip mounts, I've had several of the non-locking optics mounts, both Wilcox and SOTAC, and haven't had any issues with a 3x mag flopping when I didn't want it to.  Of course I'm just a LARPer too so what do I know. The force to overcome is pretty beefy and I can't see it flipping without permission, unless you get blown up or something.  Maybe this was a thing in an active war zone?  Dunno.

I'm having a hard time seeing from the pics; are you guys mounting the flip mounts so the optic goes in from back to front, like a normal 3x mag, or are you turning it around so it slots in front to back, to get closer to the day/main optic?

Is anyone looking at the new Mk3 Panobridge, with the RH adapters?  Looks to be a way of getting the -14 right-side, and the RH left-side.  With a flip mount on the gat, you could patrol in with a helmet set up and then attach to weapon when at "FFP" or whatever.  That would be a nice capability.
View Quote


@Diz

There are differences between the oasys and magnifier Wilcox mounts.

Both are set up for right handed shooters and flip to the right side of a rifle. But each are made for their respective item, meaning that magnifiers are rear loading and clip-ons are front loading. It has to be that way because each FTS mount is accounting for either being placed behind or in front of an optic.

If you have a magnifier mount you’ll have to spin it 180 degrees from its intended configuration and flip to the left if you want to use it with your RH25. Whereas the Oasys mount is made for thermal clip-ons and flip to the right side.
7/31/2023 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Originally Posted By French1966:


@Diz

There are differences between the oasys and magnifier Wilcox mounts.

Both are set up for right handed shooters and flip to the right side of a rifle. But each are made for their respective item, meaning that magnifiers are rear loading and clip-ons are front loading. It has to be that way because each FTS mount is accounting for either being placed behind or in front of an optic.

If you have a magnifier mount you’ll have to spin it 180 degrees from its intended configuration and flip to the left if you want to use it with your RH25. Whereas the Oasys mount is made for thermal clip-ons and flip to the right side.
View Quote



If you look at my rifle, mine flips to the left because it was for a magnifier. This is how I prefer it as it is my non dominant hand and the “free” hand when operating my rifle. Just some food for thought.
7/31/2023 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't focus my EOTech G33 onto the RH25. What is the proper way to set it up?
8/2/2023 7:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz][Edited] [#13]
Dunno on the focus, assuming it has to be done on the RH?

Thanks for clarification on the mounts.  Only seen the 3x mag ones so didn't know the difference.

Just for what it's worth, SOTAC makes both a right-hand, and left-hand flip mount, which I just assumed was user preference, but now I see they were probably trying to simulate both set ups.  

Also, I noticed I get a lot of oil/blow-back on my lens when flipped to the side, so I just assumed flipping to the left was an option to avoid this as well.  

Anyways, you can specify RH or LH flip when ordering a SOTAC mount, so this might be a good way to go.  I know there are variations in shoe size but I have slightly filed everything I have to play nice with each other.  So I would assume the RH shoe could be filed to fit.  If you are so inclined.  You could then flip to whichever way makes the most sense to you.  That's why I was asking which way you guys were flipping.  It seems to me that flipping to the left makes sense but I guess I'd need to try it.  

The SOTAC mount also comes with a shoe and adapter plate for the 3x mag, so you might be able to cobble something together.  Not to mention the Mod Armory stuff, which worked great on the Breach.  Possibilites here.  

So for sure, once you get the shoe figured out, you could then switch back n forth between helmet and rifle, pretty seamlessly, as in at night, without too much fucking around.  That really leverages the capabilities of this here unit to the max.
8/2/2023 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
You are aware that SOTAC is an airsoft company that does nothing other than reproduce items that other (proper) brands brought to market? So whatever mount they have is a 100% copy of a genuine mount from someone else, most likely Wilcox.
8/2/2023 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Originally Posted By javemtr:
You are aware that SOTAC is an airsoft company that does nothing other than reproduce items that other (proper) brands brought to market? So whatever mount they have is a 100% copy of a genuine mount from someone else, most likely Wilcox.
View Quote

Yeah we know.
8/2/2023 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Originally Posted By javemtr:
You are aware that SOTAC is an airsoft company that does nothing other than reproduce items that other (proper) brands brought to market? So whatever mount they have is a 100% copy of a genuine mount from someone else, most likely Wilcox.
View Quote

8/2/2023 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
You are aware that US companies are making huge profits off of war, and then trying to sell to us slimy civilians at exorbitant prices?  If you were a US government contractor, your RH mount would be 500 bucks, if we could even buy it.  And then your clone would come along and 3-D print it for 50 bucks.  Now which guy would you buy from?  

I have zero fucks left for US government contractors.  They pay off congressmen to start more wars, so they can sell more product.  Then wrap themselves in the flag and claim a halo for their work.
Meanwhile the grunts bleed and die.  Or come home fucked up to various degrees.  

But back to the RH25, if SOTAC flip mounts would work in this app, damn straight I will use them.  I have 4 SOTAC and 1 Wilcox flip mounts, and they are virtually indistinguishable.  The SOTACs have held up as well as the Wilcox under normal or light duty use.  That works for me, YMMV.  

8/2/2023 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
And to put a final word in, if the Wilcox mount wasn’t literally $680-750 new I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Wilcox hasn’t updated the design in almost 20 years. They’ve darn well paid off the development costs 10 times over by now. It’s a nice mount but holy cow are they bending over the consumer (whether that’s the .gov buyers or civilian market). If Wilcox would sell them for a reasonable price (let’s say $250 for giggles) then no one would even look at the $100 SOTAC option.

I’m all about supporting American business and innovation, but I also have bills to pay.
8/2/2023 5:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz][Edited] [#19]
We've all been through these conversations on other threads.

PLEASE DON'T GET MY THREAD LOCKED/DELETED OVER THIS.

I'm still getting alot of valuable info from you guys (Frenchie,Diz) etc.

Thanks.
8/2/2023 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Originally Posted By RRAR15:
And to put a final word in, if the Wilcox mount wasn’t literally $680-750 new I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Wilcox hasn’t updated the design in almost 20 years. They’ve darn well paid off the development costs 10 times over by now. It’s a nice mount but holy cow are they bending over the consumer (whether that’s the .gov buyers or civilian market). If Wilcox would sell them for a reasonable price (let’s say $250 for giggles) then no one would even look at the $100 SOTAC option.

I’m all about supporting American business and innovation, but I also have bills to pay.
View Quote


The Wilcox mount can be found at dealers around $423-445.
8/2/2023 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Originally Posted By WTFShane:


The Wilcox mount can be found at dealers around $423-445.
View Quote
Missing links.
8/2/2023 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Missing links.
View Quote


https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-flip-mount-for-oasys-utm-skeetir/

I also used AR15 member discount.
8/2/2023 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Originally Posted By WTFShane:


https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-flip-mount-for-oasys-utm-skeetir/

I also used AR15 member discount.
View Quote

Ah, my price included the riser. Still $200 more expensive than it should be.
8/2/2023 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Originally Posted By RRAR15:

Ah, my price included the riser. Still $200 more expensive than it should be.
View Quote


You're talking about at the riser FTS for EOTech.
8/3/2023 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
I can't focus my EOTech G33 onto the RH25. What is the proper way to set it up?
View Quote


I figured out why I couldn't see anything. I was staring at random shit and had no reference point. Press the menu button to see the menu bar on the screen and then focus the ocular lens till it looks clear.
8/3/2023 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#26]
What kind of zero retention do you get with a dovetail into a Wilcox swivel mount?
8/4/2023 7:34:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz][Edited] [#27]
I don't understand the question.  What does "zero retention" refer to?  Do you mean the differences between the various shoes?  The limited experience I have had leads me to believe that you might be able to fit the various shoes to the slots in the different products, but I'd need an RH shoe to verify that.  I'm talking about fitting an RH shoe, whatever those dim's are (assuming Wilcox std), and making it fit into a SOTAC 3x mag flip mount.  I've done that with a Mod Armory shoe (which again is Wilcox std dim's) to make it fit into the slot of various SOTAC devices, including their Wilcox and RQE style mounts.  

And yes, I know others will say you are playing with fire here; depending on a "shade tree mechanic"-modified shoe to hold your expensive kit.  That is the way some view this.  Others might say we are innovating and finding alternatives to extreme high prices.  That is a personal choice.  And why you always want a lanyard.
8/4/2023 10:01:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: javemtr][Edited] [#28]
Quote History
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z: What kind of zero retention do you get with a dovetail into a Wilcox swivel mount?
View Quote

I have not actually measured it, but return to zero for the dovetail mechanism itself should be pretty good. The dovetail has conical surfaces in two different directions to 'center' the shoe in the mount.
If the flip to side portion of the mount has play, that is of course a different story (that has nothing to do with the dovetail shoe).
The real question: since the RH25 is used in front of a zeroed day time optic, what effect does a potential return to zero error of the RH25 have on the overall zero of the system?
8/4/2023 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Originally Posted By javemtr:

I have not actually measured it, but return to zero for the dovetail mechanism itself should be pretty good. The dovetail has conical surfaces in two different directions to 'center' the shoe in the mount.
If the flip to side portion of the mount has play, that is of course a different story (that has nothing to do with the dovetail shoe).
The real question: since the RH25 is used in front of a zeroed day time optic, what effect does a potential return to zero error of the RH25 have on the overall zero of the system?
View Quote


That is an interesting thought. If the image shift x/y of the clip-on was already set to where the point of impact didn't change when you put it in front of a daytime scope, does it really matter where it is in front of the daytime scope? Like could the AR15 be clamped into a tripod, and you hold the RH25 and move it around in front of the scope, and see the point of aim remaining the same. would be cool to see
8/5/2023 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't know enough about optics to understand this, but from my gut feeling, I would be more concerned with angular misalignments than linear displacements.
Meaning that having the RH25 pointing a few degrees left/right/up/down might be worse than having the whole RH25 just shifted a few millimeters up/down/left/right while the optical axis is still perfectly parallel to your day scope.
8/5/2023 3:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz][Edited] [#31]
I still don't get the "return to zero" question.  Does a thermal magnifier need different/more precise alignment than a normal, day optic 3x magnifier?
8/5/2023 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, because one sits in front of your day optic (thermal clip-on) while the other sits behind your day optic (magnifier). So the ability to distort your zero is very different.
8/6/2023 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Ah, learning hath occured, thank you mein Freund.  Die Ich nicht wusste!

What does Wilcox say about their repeatability on the flip mounts?  Nothing as per usual?
8/6/2023 2:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: javemtr][Edited] [#34]
I've never specifically asked Wilcox that question, but I have emailed them with different technical questions a couple of times and just like you said, not once have I received an answer.
8/7/2023 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey guys,

Still trying to figure out the best solution to hit a 1.7 mount height.  The ADM seems to be the closest plug and play solution.  Has anyone chased down an actual 1.7 solution?
8/8/2023 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Uncle14:
Hey guys,

Still trying to figure out the best solution to hit a 1.7 mount height.  The ADM seems to be the closest plug and play solution.  Has anyone chased down an actual 1.7 solution?
View Quote


I use the 1.7” badger COMM with the ADM MQD and with the Wilcox FTS/HRF RCS and it works great.

Attached File
8/8/2023 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Uncle14:
Hey guys,

Still trying to figure out the best solution to hit a 1.7 mount height.  The ADM seems to be the closest plug and play solution.  Has anyone chased down an actual 1.7 solution?
View Quote


Maybe shim the pictail adapter to get it a little higher.
8/8/2023 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quote History
Originally Posted By BBOHACH:I use the 1.7” badger COMM with the ADM MQD and with the Wilcox FTS/HRF RCS and it works great.
View Quote

This! The optical axis in this configuration sits at approximately 1.60", so it is usable with both 1.54" and 1.70" scope heights.
8/8/2023 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Originally Posted By BBOHACH:


I use the 1.7” badger COMM with the ADM MQD and with the Wilcox FTS/HRF RCS and it works great.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314960/IMG_2902_jpeg-2912272.JPG
View Quote

Nice pic. The 1.7 Badger COMM also puts it perfectly inline with the AGM Ratter TC50 for what its worth
8/10/2023 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the response!  Sorry I lost this thread.  Are you using the wilcox magnifier mount or the thermal one?   Any chance I could harass you into linking the pieces I would need to purchase for the setup?

Thanks!
8/11/2023 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Some people in GD were asking about my COTI protector, and I saw where the same company (Cold Harbour Supply) now make a sac lens for the iRay RH25. I can see where that would be useful if you are carrying around a rifle with it flipped to the side
8/11/2023 4:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nobody69s][Edited] [#42]
Quote History
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:
Some people in GD were asking about my COTI protector, and I saw where the same company (Cold Harbour Supply) now make a sac lens for the iRay RH25. I can see where that would be useful if you are carrying around a rifle with it flipped to the side
View Quote
Sir, you forgot the link.
https://coldharboursupply.com/en-us/products/cold-harbour-x-isle-mfg-rh25-defender?_pos=2&_sid=1623f591e&_ss=r

8/11/2023 4:08:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: javemtr][Edited] [#43]
If you want to mount your RH25 in front of your day scope, here are some options for you:

Rail:
1. Buy the ADM rail if you also want to use the ADM Picatinny QD mount. But be aware that you cannot use the Wilcox FTS mount with this rail: https://irayusa.com/ac52
2. Buy the HRF Concepts rail if you want to use the Wilcox FTS mounts. But be aware that you cannot use the ADM Picatinny QD mount with this rail: https://hrfconcepts.com/collections/new-products-1/products/rcs
3. Wait a few months and buy a rail from me that works with both the Wilcox FTS mount and the ADM Picatinny QD mount (see video here: https://youtu.be/MJPPCEh4P6A)

Mount:
1. ADM Picatinny QD mount: https://irayusa.com/ac36
2. Buy the Wilcox FTS SkeetIR mount, that's the version that flips to the right side and has an additional locking function in the down position: https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-flip-mount-for-oasys-utm-skeetir/ (or buy a fake Chinese version on eBay if you're ok with that sort of thing)
8/11/2023 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quote History

:) I thought the link might be considered spam or falsely tagged as shilling. Good to know its fine.
8/14/2023 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Is it still possible to install the US firmware on the CA RH25?
Montani Semper Liberi

NRA Life Member - GOA - WVCDL
8/14/2023 11:35:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966][Edited] [#46]
Quote History
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:
Is it still possible to install the US firmware on the CA RH25?
View Quote


@WVUSIG

You might not need to.

In helmet mode “short press” the power button. If the screen blacks out for a moment and the screen reappears minus any of the compass functions and buttons locked out, you have entered “low latency” mode, which means the latest software is already installed. To exit low latency, short press the power button again.

My Canadian model came updated. Avoid doubling up on a firmware download, as this is what caused my issues with two of my older units

It’s sad that Iray USA/Infiray didn’t put any of this information out to anyone.
8/14/2023 10:28:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526][Edited] [#47]
Quote History
I have the one for the Jerry C5, just the titanium mesh version, and it is a solid product. I think the mesh piece in a butler creek would be a pretty nice setup, but they don't seem to offer just the mesh.
8/15/2023 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quote History
Originally Posted By jt526:
I have the one for the Jerry C5, just the titanium mesh version, and it is a solid product. I think the mesh piece in a butler creek would be a pretty nice setup, but they don't seem to offer just the mesh.
View Quote

Same, I would be afraid  to use my JerryC Coti very much out in the woods without it
8/15/2023 2:30:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane][Edited] [#49]
Quote History
Originally Posted By jt526:
I have the one for the Jerry C5, just the titanium mesh version, and it is a solid product. I think the mesh piece in a butler creek would be a pretty nice setup, but they don't seem to offer just the mesh.
View Quote


The Level 3 is titanium honeycomb only.

Edit: My bad. You're probably asking without the housing.
8/15/2023 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Question about these 2 mounts. Is the only difference the direction that each one will flip the unit?

https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-flip-mount-for-oasys-utm-skeetir/

https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-flip-mount-for-eotech-aimpoint-magnifiers/

As a right handed shooter I think I'd rather have it flip to the inside (left from shooter perspective). Probably over thinking this, but just curious if there is more of a difference between the 2 mounts than what I'm aware.

If both mounts would work, I'm also interested in your preferences. With the way my business is nowadays, a $400 mount is a lot more than it used to be.

Thanks in advance.
The 2nd amendment is not just a right, it's a responsibility. So train like it...

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 30
Next Page
Armory Sponsor