Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2018 2:35:10 PM EDT
OK, got this a few weeks ago from a friend, and was ecstatic to get it!

Now, yes, its true it is mostly mismatched, and I am told bore is toast (don't care, didn't even look), it is duffle cut, but its just so totally cool.

It has everything...it is a 1916 DWM gun, and saw service in WWI....it has the 1920 permission mark, so was in service during the Weimar period...at some point it got into the hands of the Czech's (the extra numbers on left receiver side, and ground original number on the receiver side points to this), then was re-worked at a Luft depot, where it was re-barreled with a LuftAmt marked Gew barrel barrel.

It has a beech stock, and is so marked behind the takedown lug. If a non-standard wood was used, it would be marked on the stock, "B" for Beech, "A" for Ahorn (Maple), etc...

Now some pics...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Some more pics, receiver marks....Note extra marks on right receiver....the original s/n was ground from the receiver and it was renumbered, and note the extra 3 digit number on the left receiver side. These point to one time Czech possession.

LuftAmt 4 marked barrel, numbered to the new receiver number...note the S which doesn't seem to be part of the s/n. There are no other markings anywhere on the barrel except the caliber mark on the shank. Nothing underneath.

Rear sight sleeve has 3 E/77 marks, leaf, ramp, etc all numbered to match gun, as is trigger. E/77 is associated with Steyr and Erma....

Trigger guard and floorplate match themselves...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
A few more...The rear band is a Weimar/Early Nazi era replacement, wide band, with Su4 and SwW 1936 marks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice rifle with a lot of history, I would love to have a G98 someday, had a Czech 98/22 at one point but sold it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking gun.  Just wish they hadn't replaced the Roller Coaster rear sight
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice looking gun.  Just wish they hadn't replaced the Roller Coaster rear sight
View Quote
That was always done when bringing them up to "98M" standards...because of the switch in ammo, with a much higher velocity, they had to go to the flat tangent sight as opposed to the roller coaster Lange Vizier.

The only way they escaped replacing the Lange Vizier was if they were not used in service post WWI...
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
So who did the color fill?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So who did the color fill?
View Quote
That would be me....I do that with all my guns, its just white crayon, it scrubs out easy if I want to remove it...
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Great rifle!  Yours is pretty much what I want in a 98.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Very cool. I'd love to see more of the standouts from your collection!
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That would be me....I do that with all my guns, its just white crayon, it scrubs out easy if I want to remove it...
View Quote
Like a regular old crayola type crayon?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Very cool. I'd love to see more of the standouts from your collection!
View Quote
I've posted a few here if you go back in the forum...I'll try to post some more, will be traveling the next couple of weeks, but I think I have a few I shot on my phone....
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Like a regular old crayola type crayon?
View Quote
Yep, just plain ol' Crayola white crayon....you rub it hard over the marks, it fills in, then you burnish with a soft cotton cloth, and it takes off all the excess, and leaves it in the markings....

A stiff bristled brush with some oil gets it right out should you want to remove it.....

Some people like it, some people don't, I like the way it makes the markings stand out....
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Small world, this 1916 (1920 permission marked) Gew 98M went to Spain.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I read that a lot of them were "left behind" after the German troops left Spain. Looks like this one saw Kriegsmarine use at one time but like yours it's a parts gun after a Spanish refurb where it got it's Spanish property mark.

Thanks for posting yours, I had been putting off pulling mine out and installing a period Spanish sling I found on it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice 1srelluc, that is very cool...yeah, the SCW guns, while mismatched, have an interesting history for sure...

Yes, most of these 98M's supposedly went to Spain with the Condor Legion, then left there when they went home to help out the Nationalists....

I have another that started life as a 1918 Oberspree, which is a very rare gun...of course since its an SCW gun, it just a Frankenstein now, but I liked it...also has the distinct "A" on the butt, which has been seen on other SCW guns....some attribute it to use by the Anarchists, but no one knows...

Note the Spanish ground the original number, and renumbered it, including the stock under receiver serial...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#16]
The other odd thing I found, which I'd love to know what it means is under the buttplate....

Both the buttplate itself and the wood underneath are stamped with XVIII and three punch marks...obviously there for a reason since its on both, and the same, so its not happenstance....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]
The bulk of these guns were used by Waffen SS units all over Europe. The new made K98s went to the Wehrmacht fighting the war, while these went to the SS doing "other" things. That's why you find them with Czech, Yugo, Spanish, etc rebuilds. Everyone looks for SS runes on Mausers, but these made up the vast majority of their Mausers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top