Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2020 12:27:34 PM EDT
Hi All,

I've not posted here in quite some time.  I didn't see a CIII section but, this being an upper, I figured that this would be the place to post.

Years ago I picked up one of the KAC integrally suppressed uppers that KAC made for the DEA CLET for their Colt 9mm SMGs.  I picked it up for my transferable RO635.  It was made somewhat famous back in the day by the "Knock Knock" art work showing the team armed with Colt SMGs w/these uppers about to do an entry.

I still have the upper, 100% NIB with the test target.

I understand that there were two types of these made which differed subtly.  

I was wondering whether any of you guys have one, are there more than two types and about how many made it to the civilian market.  

Thanks for any info.

R
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll see if I have any pics stored in my images.  Otherwise, I'll have to dig it out of the safe later.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The only pic that I have saved is one of the front half.  I sent the pic to an FFL/SOT years back as, apparently, the difference between the versions relates to the screws under the FS.

Not to be too lazy, but can someone please let me know if there is an easy way to post images here?

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Any relevance Here

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks and sorry.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's it!  Mine is slightly different. I think that the on in the photo is the first version and mine the second.  Subtle difference under the front sight.

I tried to figure out how to post pics here but not sure how to do it.  When I have more time I'll try to find out how using the help function and will post a pic of the front of mine that I have saved on my computer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I should add....

I'm told that these are extremely quiet but that they could't really be cleaned.  As noted, mine is still NIB so I've not fired it.  My RO635 is unfired as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
@osprey21 posted

“The uppers were made for the DEA's CLET (Chemical Lab Enforcement Team) due the the need to minimize hot muzzle gas in potentially flammable environments (i.e., drug labs).

I was told by Knights several years ago that they are supposedly very quiet but virtually impossible to clean so their life is limited.

There are supposedly around 19 of these original units out there. They come in a brown cardboard box with a test target. Knight's said that manuals were not produced. They are supposedly around $4K if you can find one.

No pics of the internals that I know of.”

Some cool info

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info guys.

One of the guys reached out and I sent him a pic of the front of mine.  It's only the front as that's what distinguishes the versions. The pic was sent to an FFL SOT years ago and I had it on my computer.  

I just checked.  It's behind a ton of stuff in the safe.  I'll dig it out when I can.  It is in the box w/the test target as noted.  Mine is the later version as denoted by the hardware visible under the front sight as will likely soon be posted by the member who kindly reached out to me.

I was told the same thing - extremely quite, can't clean.  I wonder why KAC would design a unit that couldn't be cleaned?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Here’s a few pics from OP

Attachment Attached File

The “knock knock” poster

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if the can’t be cleaned is because it’s packed with Brillo pad wire mesh like in the other thread. There would be no way to retain the mesh cleanly and run a brush or anything else.

I guess the other idea is how many door kick warrants into active drug labs did they do that they couldn’t train for with their standard upper and just slap this on in a pinch.

Really cool stuff either way
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]
When I have time I'll dig it out and take some better pics.

Note that that handguards on mine are not as shiny as on the KAC pic of the earlier one.

Thanks very much for posting the pics for me!
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I should add....

I'm told that these are extremely quiet but that they could't really be cleaned.  As noted, mine is still NIB so I've not fired it.  My RO635 is unfired as well.
View Quote

That’s so ugly it’s beautiful.

If I owned that I’d be torn between keeping it unfired NIB, and trying it once just to see how quiet it is.  Being a rare piece of history I’d probably keep it unfired.

My other thought is today a Form 1 builder with modest skills and tools could probably build an upper just as effective and probably better looking. I’ve seen 9mm integrals built with long 2” diameter aluminum handguards that are very quiet with dirt simple internals.

Pretty cool variant, thanks to OP and others who posted info on it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
It's strictly a collector piece for me.  In fact - and I know that some of you will think it's nuts - my RO635 is also unfired.  I've managed to collect every Colt upper (+ this KAC one of course) for it that I know has been made over the years.  All unfired outside of the factory.  

I was an FFL/SOT years ago.  My shooter SMG is my pre-86DS MP5A3/F.  I also have a Pre-sample SD and K (extremely rare).  

I have a Colt M16A2-HBAR NIB as well.  I love collecting and have never felt the need to shoot most of what I have.  That said, I know that some think its nuts.  At least some NIB stuff will be out there for future generations and for collector reference.

That said, I'd LOVE to know how quiet one is.  One of my friends has one.  Now that I'm thinking about it I'll see if he shoots it and we can take it out post COVID.  If so, I'll get a video and post.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I should add...

I've fired post-sample RO635s many, many times.  I actually love shooting them but, as most know, the mags are a real PIA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know how the barrel was setup in these? Ported like an SD?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
About 15 or so years ago ASI had an original KAC 'CLET' upper for sale, I called and spoke with Vahan about buying it but he was such a colossal dick I ended up telling him to shove it.  

IIRC it was $4995 at that time.
View Quote

Thanks very much for the info.  Wonder if they got that for it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wonder why KAC would design a unit that couldn't be cleaned?
View Quote

I can see an agency that doesn't have to worry about tax stamps and year long wait times not worrying about such an item being disposable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I've built myself a replica (I hate to say clone since it's got some serious differences) and a much closer clone for a customer after trying to do some research on how they are built.  From what I can gather, the originals had to be cleaned/rebuilt every 500 rounds or so, causing the DEA to not really like them.  It was hard to train with them since you had a limited life before the rebuild.  Another reason for the DEA not liking them was there was still a flash coming out of the ejection port.  They were built to minimize any muzzle flash for use in a drug lab and the ejection flash would still cause a problem.

I've talked to Max Crace, the artist who did the Knock, Knock art piece several times.  He told me that one of the agents in the drawing is the person who commissioned the art and he had sent Max a ton of pics to use for reference.  He still has the pics packed away somewhere and has told me if he ever finds them, he will forward some to me for reference in building clones.

If you ever get pics of what's under the handguards, I'd love to see it.

Thanks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top