Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2021 10:31:40 AM EDT
I am looking to purchase a 22 rifle for me and my son. Not looking for precision shooting rifle or an AR platform. I’m looking at options and right now.

There is an older Marlin 25 for @ $150 or a new Ruger 10/22 or bolt action for @$250 at a local shop. I was just looking for input for a smart purchase for a 22 rifle that will outlive me and eat anything I feed it.

Just  looking for input from the community. Each of my friends have a different opinion. Much appreciated guys.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#1]
We could go on and on, but the correct answer is the 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]
My sons have savage SR22 rifles..... they love them.....    I would have bought them a 10/22 as I grew up with, but I like them conserving ammo a little bit......    

The savages are silly accurate....     cost about $200 bucks new......  I have had to replace an extractor after about 5K rounds, no other problems, and savage sent me the little sheet metal extractor for free......   no complaints.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We could go on and on, but the correct answer is the 10/22.
View Quote
I hunted with a bolt action .22 for a while in my teens, my first rifle.  When I had enough money stacked up, I immediately bought a 10-22.

May as well just start in the right place with a 10-22.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
10/22 is adaptable to almost anything.
And take off parts are reasonable.

Winchester's, not so much.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]

This is my 10/22.  It's fun, a unique setup, and easily tweaked if I want better performance out of any given part.  That being said, not exactly a tack driver; it's routinely outshot by my CZ452 bolt action and Marlin 39a rifles, both of which are incredibly accurate (but I don't have great pictures of, unfortunately).

Those Marlin 25s can be ridiculously accurate right out of the gate.  However, if memory serves they are hard to find mags because places tend not to stock them.  And there's virtually no aftermarket, so you better love the configuration as-is.  

And don't discount the accuracy potential of those long barrels, despite the internet claiming that even a 10/22 barrel is too long; I've been in some rimfire shooting competitions where some guy with a Marlin 25 outshot anyone with a 10/22, even some of the Volquartsen guns.

ETA: none of what I've mentioned falls into what I'd call the "precision game" guns with the chassis systems and crazy scopes and such.  Even my 452 and 39a.  They're accurate enough to be fun fired offhand with irons.

ETA2:  I've had and sold 10/22s out of my collection before, because I just don't enjoy them the same as some of the other mechanisms.  If this one eventually bores me, I'll sell it and probably won't own another 10/22, and it won't bother me at all.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Since AR-22 is out, I'll agree on the 10/22, no way to go wrong there. Were I to get one, it would probably end up wearing one of those AC 5.56 folding stocks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a firm believer in single shot bolt action .22s as a first rifle .

First because of safety , one shot and it's empty , not automatically reloaded . New shooters can lack muzzle dicipline and muzzle sweeping is extra dangerous with a semiauto .

Second with only one shot it teaches marksmanship . Make the one shot count .

Third as a young man I had to buy my own ammo . A single shot can make a box of 50 into a full day of shooting .
I had a paper route at 13 and bought a Sears autoloader ..... Holy Cow a box of 50 was gone like right now .
But I did learn to " Spray and Pray "  

My two favorite .22 LRs are my Rossi pump . Easiest carrying rifle ever made , and just fun to shoot .
A2wlso I like my 10-22 sporterized to my liking .

Just my .02 cents worth .
btw I still have that old single shot .
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Why settle for inprecise when precision is easy?

CZ 45x, Savage Mk II (BV or BTV would be my choice, or a FVT and replacement stock from Boyds), or 10/22 and maybe a GM barrel, Brimstone trigger job, and Boyds stock.

Also depends on what size your kid is as well as age (my now 17 year old was the size of a 10 year old when he was 7....)

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer tube fed .22’s, so I’d recommend a Remington 552 first and a marlin 60 second.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I must be the only person on the planet who isn't a 10/22, rotary mag fan. Sold mine and never missed it. I also think a bolt action, single shot or repeater, is a better rifle to learn on. Lots of good ones.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I must be the only person on the planet who isn't a 10/22, rotary mag fan. Sold mine and never missed it. I also think a bolt action, single shot or repeater, is a better rifle to learn on. Lots of good ones.
View Quote

Nope, you're not the only one. I had one once, wasn't impressed, sold it.

I prefer bolt action rimfires best, although I did have a short-throw lever action rimfire a long time ago that I liked. For semi auto rimfire rifles, I just use my rimfire AR uppers.

ETA: Also, suppressors on bolt actions are awesome.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#14]
naturally it depends upon the type of shooting you plan on using it for...my first competition .22 back in my pre-teen days was a Marlin Mod 80DL with Lyman 17a and Lyman57 sights.... for action shooting a heavy barrel 10/22 with a lot of work and 24x Tasco for Sportsman's Team Challenge, and a relatively stock BRN22 (Ruger 10/22 bolt and trigger group) Holosun 510 in a PMACA chassis for Steel Challenge

on a good windless day, the STC 10/22 with double lugged bedded barrel, 24oz trigger and barrel harmonic tuner would put 10 shots on a USPSA paster at 100 yd off a rest
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone for the responses. A 22 rifle is one thing I do not own. I have a Ruger 22 revolver my dad passed down to me. I have 22 shorts, longs and magnums I use on varmits around the house. We are not new to the firearms world, just to the 22 rifle realm. Never had the need to venture there. I am even now looking at the 22 caliber change for my AR. Still undecided and lots to look at.

I would like to have a rifle that would shoot the shorts and longs so I may look at the bolt action that would eat both. THANK YOU for all the 22 wisdom.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the responses. A 22 rifle is one thing I do not own. I have a Ruger 22 revolver my dad passed down to me. I have 22 shorts, longs and magnums I use on varmits around the house. We are not new to the firearms world, just to the 22 rifle realm. Never had the need to venture there. I am even now looking at the 22 caliber change for my AR. Still undecided and lots to look at.

I would like to have a rifle that would shoot the shorts and longs so I may look at the bolt action that would eat both. THANK YOU for all the 22 wisdom.
View Quote
A well made tube fed design that can operate on S/L/LR is extremely satisfying when loaded up with a tube full of shorts.  

A friend of mine used to have some old tube fed bolt action with something like a 24" barrel, his tube held over 20 rounds of .22 shorts.  

I know there used to be oodles of tube fed semi autos, I don't know if something like current production Model 60s still feed shorts well or not.

I also know that the CZ452 series could be had in a form that had a single shot sled/magazine replacement to turn it into a single shot, and the mag feeding could come later with good habits.  If memory serves it also came with a shorter LOP stock that could eventually be swapped out for a regular LOP stock later on, so the rifle could grow with the shooter.  And CZ bolts are (or at least used to be) quite smooth, instead of the clunk-heavy mechanism of Rugers or Marlin bolt action designs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#18]
If you can find one, the old Savage 29 and 29A are awesome. Takedown pump .22 that will reliably cycle .22 short, long, and long rifle, intermixed if you want. I learned how to shoot using one. For noobs, take out the mag tube and single-load, that's how I started. It would be too bad to mod one of these, but one could thread the barrel for a can, no bolt noise and no possible function issue. A possible downside is I don't believe there's a good way to add an optic. Just a thought. I believe Remington made an autoloader at some point that would cycle all three, never have seen one, though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I would like to have a rifle that would shoot the shorts and longs so I may look at the bolt action that would eat both.
View Quote

Allow me to politely say that .22 Long ammo is much like a unicorn these days. Hard to find, if not impossible. Doesn't really serve much of a purpose either, IMO.

.22 Short ammo is found but it's NOT cheap. Like virtually twice the price of .22LR last time I looked. Shorts are best used in a revolver since the whole purpose of Short ammo is less power and noise. If one needs less power & noise out of a rifle, then a decent pellet rifle might be a better option, IMO.

Most of the older bolt actions shoot LR, longs & shorts. Remington, Marlin & Winchester were the big boys in the bolt action game in the 1950s, 60s & 70s. Certainly Remingtons & Marlins can be found affordably. As already mentioned, Winchesters often bring premiums on pricing.

I own several CZ rimfires, the 452 series. They're affordable & are incredibly accurate. Sadly, they're also discontinued but can be found on Gun Broker easily.

Marlin would be my next choice. Straight stock, they'll shoot rings around a comparable Ruger. The tubed mag Model 60 has been around for 81 years now. Yes, that's correct, since 1960. There's a reason for that: accuracy, reliability & affordability. There's also several bull barrel models but they're all discontinued as well. Doesn't make them any less better though.

Lastly, please don't buy any of these cheap, polymer stocked $150-200 rifles. While the price may be attractive, they're not well made nor will they be as accurate as the "real" .22 rifles are. If you can, hit some pawn shops, gun shows & gun shops for used rifles. Make SURE you can get extra mags for the ones that use them. Nothing worse than not being able to get extra mags for a gun you like. Many of the Marlin mags fit multiple models, FWIW.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I believe Remington made an autoloader at some point that would cycle all three, never have seen one, though.
View Quote
Remington 552 speedmaster.  If memory serves they've been out of production a couple of years, and were $500+ last time I checked.

Fantastic full size .22, though; I've definitely taken to adult size .22 rifles lately, rather than scrunching down on tactical 10/22s & 15-22s.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#22]
The 10/22 isn't the perfect gun by any measure but as is it is fairly decent. As is from the factory in the plain models it has only a fair trigger and just fair sights.

If you want a back yard tin can plinker it is 100% up to the task.

The beauty of the thing is it is very flexible and there are no end of aftermarket parts and upgrades if at some point you or your son decide you want to better fit it to some
special use. Very easy to set up with various red dots or optics.

I generally mess about with the triggers and do something different with the sights but I am a fussy old man who likes nicer triggers and my eyes are not what they used to be.

I have 5 (6?) different 10/22s with a couple 3 with heavy target barrels , some with peep sights and some with red dot or optics. I own a marlin lever and a couple of other brand bolts but the 10/22s get most of the range time.

For a first rimfire the 10/22 is a very good choice.

If you buy some other (possibly used ) gun store special be sure there are some provisions for optics mounting such as mounts or groves , many of the older guns do not and it becomes somewhat limiting
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you think you'd like a bolt gun that shoots all three lengths you will be looking at used guns . But thats not bad because they litter pawn shops .
Plus you will get a nice old school wood and steel rifle .
Most problems with them are fixed by a good scrubbing .
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you think you'd like a bolt gun that shoots all three lengths you will be looking at used guns . But thats not bad because they litter pawn shops .
Plus you will get a nice old school wood and steel rifle .
Most problems with them are fixed by a good scrubbing .
View Quote

I think specifically you'll be looking for a tube fed bolt action. Liked my Marlin 581T quite well. Marked Short, Long, Long Rifle. Not sold but passed down to a stepson.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think I have you beat.

I don’t own one. I’ve never owned one. And to the best of my recollection, I’ve never even shot one.

(I do have a Ruger American Rimfire, that uses the rotary mags...and like those better than my CZ455 mags)
View Quote

Maybe the magazines have improved since the '90s. I didn't like the 10/22 disassembly-cleaning procedure. But I thought the mags sucked. Could not disassemble them and they got fouled up to where they didn't feed fast enough to keep up with the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Get the Marlin 25. I believe there is a guy selling a mag for one in the EE right now. My wife bought one a few years ago because the price was right and the gun looked like new. I sighted it in and it gave good accuracy but haven't shot it since because RH bolt actions are backwards for me. I don't even think my wife has shot it. If I remember I got a spare mag from Midway or somewhere online.

10/22s are a boring gun IMO, I've owned quite a few and they are good guns but they just don't do anything for me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Allow me to politely say that .22 Long ammo is much like a unicorn these days. Hard to find, if not impossible. Doesn't really serve much of a purpose either, IMO.

.22 Short ammo is found but it's NOT cheap. Like virtually twice the price of .22LR last time I looked. Shorts are best used in a revolver since the whole purpose of Short ammo is less power and noise. If one needs less power & noise out of a rifle, then a decent pellet rifle might be a better option, IMO.
View Quote

I'll agree on the Longs, though that's pretty much what the Calibri 20gr. no-powder loads are, case isn't quite as long as a LR. Shorts, though, are great in a full length barrel if noise is a concern and a can isn't an option. Enough oomph to dispatch tree rats and similar sized pests, ability to get off quick follow-up shots (going to have to spend some money for a repeating air gun to match that) and about the same or less noise than an air gun with similar (less) FPE.

JMHO
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#28]
A 10/22 or Ruger American Rimfire for my 2 cents worth. 10/22s are the only new 22s I’ve seen show up at the local WM. They have 4 @ $229. A bargain in the current market.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]
https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/firearms/rifles/anschutz-classic-22-bolt-action
Or something similar, some sandbags and a target stand, some NRA 50 foot smallbore targets.  Teach him well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Maybe the magazines have improved since the '90s. I didn't like the 10/22 disassembly-cleaning procedure. But I thought the mags sucked. Could not disassemble them and they got fouled up to where they didn't feed fast enough to keep up with the bolt.
View Quote

Yes , any semi rimfire (all or most are blowback) will blow crap down into the magazine . I can and have taken 10/22 mags apart to clean but generally avoid it because I am lazy.

Lazy man method is to take a simple can of hardware store silicone spray and hose the daylights out of the mag . Do this outside or at least over a trash can. this blows most of the crud out and lubes the mag for better operation, Never use oil suck as WD-40 as the oil will allow the crud to stick. Silicone will dry which is what you want , dry but lubed .
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#31]
If the OP has his heart set on shooting longs, shorts and other non long rifle ammo his choice is mostly bolts or something like a Marlin 39a lever if he can find one. I guess the henry lever guns might work , not sure how well they handle shorts and longs
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If the OP has his heart set on shooting longs, shorts and other non long rifle ammo his choice is mostly bolts or something like a Marlin 39a lever if he can find one. I guess the henry lever guns might work , not sure how well they handle shorts and longs
View Quote

Gently used 552 remingtons show up here quite often in the 300-400 range. 550’s as well do the same job.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I think the Thompson Center version of the 10/22 is a great all round rifle. It has a lot of upgrades to a base 10/22 without costing a lot more.  Nice stock, fiber sites, rail on receiver, last round bolt open. If I had just one 22, it would probably be the one I keep. As a bonus it uses the same mags as the RAR if you wanted to add a bolt action later.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I love 22 rifles, but not a 10/22 fan.  I had an older walnut stocked one for years, sold it off and still have a complete spare parts set for one. I prefer bolt rifles and would recommend a good CZ rifle, best bang for the buck these days. I am also a fan of levers but the good ones will run pretty high dollar now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes , any semi rimfire (all or most are blowback) will blow crap down into the magazine . I can and have taken 10/22 mags apart to clean but generally avoid it because I am lazy.

Lazy man method is to take a simple can of hardware store silicone spray and hose the daylights out of the mag . Do this outside or at least over a trash can. this blows most of the crud out and lubes the mag for better operation, Never use oil suck as WD-40 as the oil will allow the crud to stick. Silicone will dry which is what you want , dry but lubed .
View Quote

Correct on the semiauto part. The bolt action Rugers using the rotary mag shouldn't have an issue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think the Thompson Center version of the 10/22 is a great all round rifle. It has a lot of upgrades to a base 10/22 without costing a lot more.  Nice stock, fiber sites, rail on receiver, last round bolt open. If I had just one 22, it would probably be the one I keep. As a bonus it uses the same mags as the RAR if you wanted to add a bolt action later.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/420318/422A5166-C0E2-40B4-BB65-E27F9BFD0AFE_jpe-1833287.JPG
View Quote

This would be my answer as well. I have 10-22’s, Marlin 39A’s, and a model 60, but the Thompson Center is the one I reach for most often.  It’s also threaded for a can which is a blast with subsonic ammo!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

First because of safety , one shot and it's empty , not automatically reloaded . New shooters can lack muzzle dicipline and muzzle sweeping is extra dangerous with a semiauto .

Third as a young man I had to buy my own ammo . A single shot can make a box of 50 into a full day of shooting .
I had a paper route at 13 and bought a Sears autoloader ..... Holy Cow a box of 50 was gone like right now .

*snip*
View Quote

All this.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I will say I am not a fan of tube fed guns personally
Any bolt gun ( or even a semi for that matter) can be single loaded with shorts or longs if you have some laying around but as mentioned you won’t likely find any for sale at an affordable price anytime soon ( or ever) so it is basically a case of shoot up what you have and go exclusively long rifle after that( or save them for the revolver)
Many years ( decades really?) when I was a kid shorts were cheaper, but now they are sort of boutique ammo for old guns chambered in short only.
As I am sure you know right now is a terrible time for gun shopping and semi autos even the simple half century old design 10/22 is in high demand and hard to find and prices are high.
For what a standard 10/22 is running these days you could buy two used bolt actions
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I will say I am not a fan of tube fed guns personally
Any bolt gun ( or even a semi for that matter) can be single loaded with shorts or longs if you have some laying around but as mentioned you won’t likely find any for sale at an affordable price anytime soon ( or ever) so it is basically a case of shoot up what you have and go exclusively long rifle after that( or save them for the revolver)
Many years ( decades really?) when I was a kid shorts were cheaper, but now they are sort of boutique ammo for old guns chambered in short only.
As I am sure you know right now is a terrible time for gun shopping and semi autos even the simple half century old design 10/22 is in high demand and hard to find and prices are high.
For what a standard 10/22 is running these days you could buy two used bolt actions
View Quote

My local Walmart has several 10/22s in stock at $229.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My local Walmart has several 10/22s in stock at $229.
View Quote

In my area every gun store or big box that sells guns is stripped to the bone, and the few that are available have jumped in price
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd see if you can get that Marlin 25 for $150 out the door. They are one of my favorite older .22's.

Otherwise, I'd keep your eye out for an older .22 of any sort, even if it needs to be fixed up a little. IMO those old .22's are a great value and can make great projects.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Savage MKII with a heavy barrel is really hard to beat. With the right ammo, I can get groups slightly larger than 1/2". 3/4-1" groups at 50yds all day with CCI SV. This picture is from today, shooting it at 100yds with CCI SV. A few fliers and trying to get the drop perfected but otherwise a 3" group for 75% of our shots at 100yds

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Remington 552 speedmaster.  If memory serves they've been out of production a couple of years, and were $500+ last time I checked.

Fantastic full size .22, though; I've definitely taken to adult size .22 rifles lately, rather than scrunching down on tactical 10/22s & 15-22s.  YMMV.
View Quote

Several have mentioned the early 552 Speedmasters.  I agree.  They are superb and fun tube magazine .22LR.  This is mine.  Good ones are getting a bit pricey now.

But, for a first .22LR for a youth, a basic single shot bolt gun might be more appropriate.  This is the Remington 514 single shot my dad got used and gave to me when I was 11.  I'm 70 now and have recently passed it on to a grandchild.  In my teens we drilled and tapped it for Weaver bases and rings and the 4x Tasco (made in Japan) it has worn since.  These rifles can be found for very reasonable prices at pawn shops and make good youth trainers.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

All this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*snip*

All this.

As I have read through this entire thread I find it is difficult to argue with any of these answers.

However, there is something that happens within the mind when you are shooting a single shot rifle.  You do not have to think about it, it just happens.  Your patience becomes more prominent, your attention to sight alignment with your target becomes more critical, there is greater concentration on a smooth trigger pull.  Even if you are just out shooting at paper, in essence your mind becomes that hunter from times gone by when there was only one shot and you needed to make it count or you and yours will go hungry tonight!

There are many types and makes of old single shot rifles out there that will be suitable.  But, there is one over riding thought I would like to pass along: That first .22 rimfire rifle that dad took you shooting with will forever be imprinted into your sons mind and connected with you and his memories he fondly remembers as he goes through life and grows into an old man one day perhaps with children and grandchildren of his own that he wants to take shooting and perhaps pass down a .22 rifle that his dad gave him when the time comes.  If you do not pass it along he will forever be going to gun shows trying to find one just like dad had so as to relive those days when you were around to talk to and do stuff with while you try to implant as much wisdom as possible so that he may avoid all those pitfalls that life brings his way.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I very much agree with the bolt action.  My first gun as a youngster was an already old, Remington 514 single shot. It shoots .22long, long rifle and shorts and I still own it.  It had broken sights when my dad bought it for me so he had a 4x scope put on it.  Shooting single shots really taught me a lot about shooting.  To this day, I think bolt action .22's are the best choices for new shooters.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top