Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2018 3:13:01 PM EDT
I have a chance to pick up an Armasight PVS7 locally for $2k. Owner claims that is is a Gen 3 unit with only 15 hours on it. The only accessory that comes with it is a Rhino mount, all other accessories/carry bag eaten by dog. He claims to be selling to invest in a double setup, which I can appreciate.

My questions are:

How do I tell if it is truly Gen 3 and not 2+? (is it marked on the unit)

Is this a fair price for PVS7 with this amount of time on it?

What should I be looking for when I look it over?

I had a pair of issued 7's about 18 years and thought they were great. Since then I had an ENVIS for several years, but it has been deemed not repairable. I am trying to not loose my ass on this deal and buying used from a private party has me a bit concerned. I plan on meeting the guy after dark so that I can try them out tonight. Any help/advice would be great.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
$2k for a pvs7?

IMO....Look in the EE for a better deal on a pvs14.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I paid $1800 for my used 14 here. I'd keep searching if I were you. Christmas is coming up too, and if you keep a watchful eye on EE for a few weeks, you'll eventually find somebody getting rid of them for gift money.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I LOVE me some 7. $2000?!  No fucking way unless it had a top of the line L3 filmless WP tube.

You should be able to score a decent gen 3 seven for $1300-1600 on EE.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Like others said unless it's a high end unit look around. Basicily when looking through any NV look for blems against a white wall the ones near the center are distracting, the tube placard can sometimes be decoded on when it was mfg, minimum specs, etc, bright spots, low light performance without the use of IR light, etc.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Would pass at $2k. The objective lens assembly on the PVS-7B/D can be removed by just unscrewing it, no tools required. With it off, the tube photocathode will be visible. If it's dark blue and you see two sets of reflections, one blue and one white, it's a Gen 3 tube. A Gen 2 tube will have a more of a brown color to the photocathode and a rainbow pattern of reflected colors will be seen under white light. Also a good opportunity to check the tube for any markings. Careful though, with the objective lens assembly removed, the tube can just pop out.

Sent you an IM too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:56:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Did not have to pass, guy ghosted. Thanks for the heads up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top