Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2019 5:57:50 AM EDT
Just got a set of PVS7 NVGS that I was not expecting to be able to get for a few more years so I'm somewhat unprepared for them (normally do a lot of prep to make sure I'm not getting over my head i.e 2 years on my first Form 1).

Been reading this forum but it appears that the PVS7 setup is not the preferred setup, is there a forum/info areas that deals more with the PVS7 setup? I used them in the USMC in the mid 90's but don't remember details.

Right now, biggest concern is batteries and do's and don'ts to make sure I don't kill the investment. Appreciate all the help
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Use quality batteries (lithium).

Don’t leave it on. Don’t leave it pointed at light sources. Don’t stare at light sources.

Take the batteries out when you store it.

Store it in a good case.

That’s pretty much it. They were designed for military stuff, it’s not a glass vase. I don’t think you need time to prepare for them. Enjoy the wizard eyes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Got it stored in a pelican case so got that covered. It is autogated and found a user manual where it says 2 akaline AA batteries or 1 lithium, can I use the lithium AA's without issue (seems simple but hate to f this up!)?

Appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got it stored in a pelican case so got that covered. It is autogated and found a user manual where it says 2 akaline AA batteries or 1 lithium, can I use the lithium AA's without issue (seems simple but hate to f this up!)?

Appreciate the help!
View Quote
Yes you can and are encouraged to use lithiums. Not only will they provide more run time, but they're more tolerant of temperature change and less likely to leak. It's nice to see other NV users in VA!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Appreciate the help!
View Quote
Lithium AA's will be perfect, they do not leak compared to Alkaline.

Lithium AA's certainly will not break anything, but still remember to take them out when storing the unit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#6]
For batteries lithium AA have a 10 year shelf life and when bought in bulk are close to alkaline prices. As far as don'ts like all NV looking at the same bright image for long periods of time can burn that image onto your tube, never store batteries for any length of time regardless of type in your 7s, be sure that they are off even when you flip them up "don't rely on the auto off feature". For dos don't feel out classed by binos or a 14 because you're not, if I where on a budget I'd take a good gen 3 PVS over a 14/binos and put the money I saved toward a LAM with the best illuminator I could find and other gear, and do use them often my wife loves NV so much she bought me a slightly used set of BNVDs for Christmas. I have all 3 systems and feel that the 7s are the best value, the same depth perceptions of binos, the advantage of both eyes seeing the same image allowing you to navigate easier vs a 14 and cost thousands less than either. A PVS7 may no longer be high speed, not the sexiest set of NODs available which is why they're at bargain prices.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Appreciate the help!
View Quote
What they mean by "1 Lithium" can mean two things:
1- The military designed them to use two lithium sources, 2x AA lithium ion (L91), or 1x of this short fat lithium dioxide bitch (BA-5367/U). You're probably not going to find the latter one out in the wild.
2- There is an aftermarket kit composed of a replacement cap, and a metal dork that fits in the AA well that will convert the 7's into using a third source, a single CR123. I have 0 experience with those.

I only use lithium, name brand cells in my NV investments. MUCH lower chance for leakage. If I know I prolly won't need them, I even take the batteries out to avoid that one major issue.

Edit to add: lot of people are looking down on the AN/PVS-7 these days. There are a LOT of dead people due to good guys wearing them. There are a lot of bad guys that wished they had them. There's a few quibbling issues, but it only really relates to people who go after other people when wearing them; shouldn't be any issue for you.

Just remember to go VERY slow until you get your NOD legs; scan a LOT. Easy to trip/fall in a hole/misstep because of a small depression/trip using stairs/klunk into door frames. (I've done every one of those lol)
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:12:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Man, I thought price would be the reason to look at 7's... but 14's cost about the same?

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Two threads about 7's and every one b hating. 7's are way better than 14's. 14's suck but these dudes spend 3k for some stupid specs that last a few months and are financially committed to convincing themselves they are the superior unit. They aren't. 7's r beast af, good buy. Fucking use whatever batteries you have laying around, don't bother with lithium bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Two threads about 7's and every one b hating. 7's are way better than 14's. 14's suck but these dudes spend 3k for some stupid specs that last a few months and are financially committed to convincing themselves they are the superior unit. They aren't. 7's r beast af, good buy. Fucking use whatever batteries you have laying around, don't bother with lithium bullshit.
View Quote
Did you think you were posting in GD?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
He does that every time this topic gets brought up.

I don’t personally own night vision, but I used both 7s and 14s in combat. I greatly preferred the 14s.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:29:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He does that every time this topic gets brought up.

I don't personally own night vision, but I used both 7s and 14s in combat. I greatly preferred the 14s.
View Quote
7's are TWO eyes. that's TWICE the green glow. Two is 1, 1 is none and that's why 14's don't exist.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:34:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Armory forum is like what GD was way back when. It's nice and allows a way better exchange of information than GD does these days. Just because I shit post a little doesn't mean I don't take the topics seriously, it's just we do this so often we have become exceedingly efficient at it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

7's are TWO eyes. that's TWICE the green glow. Two is 1, 1 is none and that's why 14's don't exist.
View Quote
Can you keep that crap in GD and out of the rest of the forums? If you don’t have anything useful to add take it elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:40:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can you keep that crap in GD and out of the rest of the forums? If you don't have anything useful to add take it elsewhere.
View Quote
No. Don't tell me what to do you're not my dad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you keep that crap in GD and out of the rest of the forums? If you don't have anything useful to add take it elsewhere.
I'll second NSF Jojo on the thought that 7s ought not to be looked down upon. Spend your money how you want but it's the tube inside and the way you train with it that determines how effective you are with said tool. Don't have the coin to jump into a $2400 new off the shelf 14 but still want to play the ARFcom "me too" game? Save $1k and get some 7s. You might only use them a handful of times that first year or you'll love it so much you flip those and save for a 14. Lather rinse repeat. But the whole if you don't have WP 14s or better line is lame sauce.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'll second NSF Jojo on the thought that 7s ought not to be looked down upon. Spend your money how you want but it's the tube inside and the way you train with it that determines how effective you are with said tool. Don't have the coin to jump into a $2400 new off the shelf 14 but still want to play the ARFcom "me too" game? Save $1k and get some 7s. You might only use them a handful of times that first year or you'll love it so much you flip those and save for a 14. Lather rinse repeat. But the whole if you don't have WP 14s or better line is lame sauce.
View Quote
I agree 100%

I saved up to buy a high spec WP 14 and don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it and it's completely worth the $3400 that I paid BUT the difference compared to my Omni V PVS7s is so so minimal. The difference in price would have paid for a brand new MAWL... Or multiple classes and thousands of rounds of 556

That being said, I put the classes and ammo on a CC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top