Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 4:51:50 PM EDT
Hello,
       I am in the process of transferring an SBR (individual purchase by my dad) to a trust in which both him and I are the responsible folks.

Since the SBR is going from individual to trust, would I be right in assuming I'll need to get the SBR re-engraved with the trust information?

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No. Engraving is only for the maker (Form 1). Transfers (Form 4) do not require additional engraving, as nothing is being made.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BritEod:
Hello,
       I am in the process of transferring an SBR (individual purchase by my dad) to a trust in which both him and I are the responsible folks.

Since the SBR is going from individual to trust, would I be right in assuming I'll need to get the SBR re-engraved with the trust information?

Any help is appreciated.
View Quote
No, engraving is only required when the firearm is made, to identify who made it.  Subsequent transfers do not require a new engraving.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#3]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I sense some knowledge to be learned so I’m gonna hijack before the snark team shows up.

I have a factory colt SBR deregistered lower assembly.
Now that wait times are reasonable I would like to ‘re’ SBR it. (Currently mated to a 16” 6940 upper)

Can it be ‘re’ registered so I don’t have to deface the lower?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Muricha:
I sense some knowledge to be learned so I'm gonna hijack before the snark team shows up.

I have a factory colt SBR deregistered lower assembly.
Now that wait times are reasonable I would like to 're' SBR it. (Currently mated to a 16" 6940 upper)

Can it be 're' registered so I don't have to deface the lower?
View Quote
If it was previously requested to be removed from the registry, then no.

You'll have to file a new Form 1, you will be the maker, and you'll have to engrave it with your information.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:58:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muricha] [#6]
Much appreciated

I think I would by a new SBR before engraving the double bullet LE.
It looks fine with the 16” as it is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCARed] [#7]
How do you know it was "de-registered"? Regardless, if you submit a letter to "take it off the registry", alll the ATF does is make a note of the permanent change.
I would guess, if a letter was truly submitted for that, you could do another F1 for a SBR, and not worry about any extra engraving.  If someone ran a serial number check, it will come back to that gun and that manufacturer as a SBR.
Also considering the firearms brace fiasco with hundreds of thousands of F1s specifically with no extra engravings, I question most engraving at all now.
Considering you're chances of someone who knows what they're looking at (ATF) are virtually nil, if someone were digging that deep, you've probably got  bigger problems than the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top