Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2024 4:53:30 AM EDT
Been thinking of putting a IFAK together. Anyone tell me what I will need besides bandages ,tourniquet.,chest seals, tape , sissors.  Was thinking about what the army or marines might carry. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The standard modern ifak has:
2 tourniquets
2-pack chest Seal
1 sterile gauze pack
1 israeli bandage
1 roll of tape
2 pairs of gloves
1 naso pharyngeal airway tube
2 ziplock bags
1 metal Eye protection disk
Casualty triage card
Sharpie
Strap cutter

Many civilian variants of those articles are smaller and Better, Just don't get too minimal.
Marines also have a casualty blanket in It.

I don't know of US Marines still do that but they also got issued a small bag of items for minor injuries.
It has a few burn dressings, two triangular cravats, tape, an assortment of bandaids and disinfecting wipes, various creams for burns, stings, antibiotic and itching, ibuprofen, antacid, decongenstant and anti diarrhea, water purification pills. In my opinion It Is more useful, but It should not be mixed with your ifak, It should be accessed differently, like a simple ziploc bag in a utility pouch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:18:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joeviterbo] [#2]
Also a couple things to consider:
first, have a phone or some means of communication, doing immediate lifesaving measures may be useless if the casualty isn't as quickly as possible transferred to an higher level of care.
second, i am a big proponent of having a space blanket into your ifak. This comes from my still ongoing experience as a volunteer EMT for more than 10 years. On more than one occasion we trained with mentoring from ER medics that always stressed the importance of keeping a casualty temperature, they always said that a person that arrives at the ER alive doesn't mean he will exit from there alive. Having a degree of temperature higher or lower may make all the differents of the world due to many things that are beyond my medical knowledge. You may think you saved a person because you brought it to the ER alive while in the end you may not had done it.
third, there is this mantra that your IFAK should be used (by yourself or more likely by others) ON YOURSELF ONLY. This comes from military environment where teams with standardized equipment, training and procedures work together. My personal opinion, as a civilian it may not be the case and you may go to your kit to use on others, maybe because if some accident happens there may be the possibility that the threat won't evolve any further and that if you search for others' ifaks to use on them you may find yourself working with material you are not accustomed to and lose precious time. To alleviate that put your ifak in a clearly marked place which is clearly recognizable for others (even a high visibility color pouch, and in this case it is of paramount importance that that IFAK is as simplified and efficient as possible), maybe exchange a couple of words  with other people around you when doing things that had the possibility of incidents and evaluate if you want to have maybe two IFAKS to have one clearly marked to be used by others on you and another one to use on others.
Also a small mouth to mouth mask may be a good item to add to an IFAK.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#3]
An IFAK is for someone to use on you should you become injured. Do you have someone in your group who's medically trained? If so, they'll tell you what to put in it.

If not, are you medically trained? If not, get trained before you get equipment, as equipment of this nature without training is less than useless, it can be actively harmful.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t cheap out and get random knock off stuff from amazon.

Get quality stuff from North American rescue or other reputable places.

I agree with having trauma/major bleed stuff separate from a boo-boo kit, as you will use that stuff much more. Don’t be afraid to add little things like extra hand sanitizer band aids and butterfly’s.

Is this something you are going to wear on gear or keep in a car?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:39:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BloodRaven] [#5]
I bought several of these kits from NAR. I put 1 in my truck, 1 in my GHB, 1 in my BOB, 1 in each of my range bags (2), I have a couple out in my shop, and a couple elsewhere in the house. I also have a more complete IFAK in each of those places, as well (even more so in my shop and in my truck).

No, they're not what I'd call a complete kit, but they're good for something quick to grab if you have a major bleeding scenario (puncture or gun shot wound). They're also tagged as a "Throw Kit" so you can throw it to someone who is helping in an emergency. It's a good start, but I'd add trauma shears, NPA (if you know how to use one), and probably more gauze (I usually put both standard wound packing gauze and combat gauze in my kits).

But if I'm building a kit from scratch, this is what I put in them:
Tourniquet
Chest seal
Combat gauze
Wound packing gauze
4" Emergency Trauma Dressing
Nitrile gloves (2 pair)
Trauma shears
NPA (get training if you put one in your kit)
Decompression needle (again, get training if you put one in your kit)
Permanent marker (I have both black and silver)

For small things l(like boo-boos), I keep a smaller kit in a separate smaller bag inside of the IFAK. It has things like alcohol wipes, antiseptic wipes, finger bandages, antibiotic ointment, burn cream, itch cream, pain reliever, etc.

Also...make sure to keep up with expiration dates. It's a good idea to print up (or write down) a list of everything in the kit with applicable expiration dates for each item. See below...

Originally Posted By hodgescl:
Don’t cheap out and get random knock off stuff from amazon.
View Quote

Absolutely this!

I made the mistake of buying some Adventure Medical Kits off of Amazon (back before I knew better). They showed up in a couple days, and as I was going through the kit, I noticed that most of the items already expired or were going to expire within the next couple months.

Live and learn.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's another place to check. They have premade IFAKs and build your own. Quality of things I've ordered from them has always been good.
Medical Outfitters
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
…humbly and strongly suggest training, if you have never taken a class.  There are a number of good providers around the country. Eg. https://darkangelmedical.com/
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the excellent replies. I was thinking of a ifak for tactical gear, but after reading your replies got me thinking. I was a navy corpsman  years ago and have been through numerous 1st aid training classes working in the electrical industry, but can still use more training. Thanks again for your fine advise!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Primary arms has some different kit refill kits from North American rescue. Sometimes they’re on sale for a better price than the source. Saves you from getting a pouch you might not want or use.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
If you were a corpsman, you had a good base.  Take a Stop the Bleed class. It’s a VERY basic TCCC concept class, but it gets the point across and they are usually free.  I roll my own kits.  I think it’s cheaper to buy multiples of an item and make several kits. Just stiff the contents in a ziploc bag and your GTG. Personally I use Rescue Essentials as my we store, buy NAR or Chinook are other good options.  Keep it simple; TQ, emergency bandage, chest seals, compressed gauze.  Personally, I use regular gauze not QuikClot because it’s way cheaper, has no expiration, and in a setting where a hospital is within an hour, not hours away, it should do the job just fine.  The key to wound packing is technique. If you don’t pack a wound correctly with the QuikClot, it’s a waste.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If you were a corpsman and have kept up on TCCC, I wouldn't bother with a "stop the bleed" class unless you just want more hands-on experience, not that there's anything wrong with that. In my case, I'm EMT-B certified and have a good amount of trauma experience. Those classes don't do much for me {though I readily recommend them to those with less experience].

As for trauma kits, I'm in the build-your-own camp. Everything you think you'll need, nothing extraneous. As a benefit, you'll be more familiar with what's in there. I've assembled all of my trauma kits, trauma bag, and M5 medic pack.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:
If you were a corpsman and have kept up on TCCC, I wouldn't bother with a "stop the bleed" class unless you just want more hands-on experience, not that there's anything wrong with that.
View Quote

If it's been a while since they were in, one would be great as a refresher. Depending upon when they were in, techniques and tools recommended or NOT recommended may have changed. Hell, the CoTCCC has changed their recommended tourniquet list a few times over the last 5-6 years.

I will reinstate that whoever's heading medical in your group should be the one dictating what people keep in their IFAKs at a minimum. That way if they go to treat them there's no surprises of 'oh, they don't have anything' or worse yet, 'oh, they brought the wrong shit entirely'. Avoids you having to pull the pack gear out for injuries that should be treatable by individually-worn supplies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:

I agree with having trauma/major bleed stuff separate from a boo-boo kit, as you will use that stuff much more. Don’t be afraid to add little things like extra hand sanitizer band aids and butterfly’s.

View Quote

Under appreciated comment. I carry nexcare waterproof bandaids and steristrips in mine. The nexcares reinforced using the steristrips as tape make durable and flexible covers that done right will stay in place in high flex areas like your hands while still allowing close to full mobility . The steristrips, of course can also be used to close larger wounds. These items weigh next to nothing and take up very little space.

Also some antibiotic ointment and quality finger nail clippers for trimming up torn skin before bandaging. Top off with gloves, small gauze packets, and alcohol pads for prepping. All of these lay flat and will fit in a small package. Hopefully I'll never need my trauma kit but spending a lot of time outdoors I use the bo bo kit quite a bit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:
An IFAK is for someone to use on you should you become injured. Do you have someone in your group who's medically trained? If so, they'll tell you what to put in it.

If not, are you medically trained? If not, get trained before you get equipment, as equipment of this nature without training is less than useless, it can be actively harmful.
View Quote

Self aid is a thing. I’ve also gotten up to a Soldier and his IFAK was shredded to pieces and burnt up. So I used mine on him.

For the OP. Look no further for an IFAK. Also an aid bag isn’t bad to have around as well.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:
For small things l(like boo-boos), I keep a smaller kit in a separate smaller bag inside of the IFAK. It has things like alcohol wipes, antiseptic wipes, finger bandages, antibiotic ointment, burn cream, itch cream, pain reliever, etc.
View Quote

This is good info, as we're more likely to need the small stuff. Cuts and scrapes happen. I keep booboo supplies in a separate zip lock bag in the trauma kit. If I have a pack, I have a decon kit container with toothbrush, meds, small bandages, and other hygiene items.

Also, make sure you have tweezers. Getting a thorn or splinter in your skin is uncomfortable. Leave it there and a small problem can quickly become a big one.

While we're on the topic of medicine and hygiene, make sure you can eat all your food without having to get your grimy mitts on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Gentlemen, i again ask you to reconsider the blanket statement that "your ifak Is meant to be used by others on you". On paper It Is meant to be that way in a organized, trained and standardized military force and It often happens. However i am not sure It Is Always valid in a civilian scenario.

When at the end of May i'll be teaching this basic subject a couple of day (military Activity, students are non ground pounder type soldiers plus a few gendarmerie/police guests) and i Will stress a lot this aspect as It Always brings up constructive discussion. On me i Will have two Ifaks, One streamlined One clearly marked, for others to use on me, another in a pouch for me to use on others, plus a ziploc bag for minor injuries, because a tootache or headache happens more often than a gunshot and puts you out of the fight in the same way.

My personal advice, don't carry Booboos in the same Place as your ifak, as It can get in the way of your Life saving equipment. That Is a lesson quickly learned as soon as you smear the student hands in fake Blood.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
Gentlemen, i again ask you to reconsider the blanket statement that "your ifak Is meant to be used by others on you". On paper It Is meant to be that way in a organized, trained and standardized military force and It often happens. However i am not sure It Is Always valid in a civilian scenario.

When at the end of May i'll be teaching this basic subject a couple of day (military Activity, students are non ground pounder type soldiers plus a few gendarmerie/police guests) and i Will stress a lot this aspect as It Always brings up constructive discussion. On me i Will have two Ifaks, One streamlined One clearly marked, for others to use on me, another in a pouch for me to use on others, plus a ziploc bag for minor injuries, because a tootache or headache happens more often than a gunshot and puts you out of the fight in the same way.

My personal advice, don't carry Booboos in the same Place as your ifak, as It can get in the way of your Life saving equipment. That Is a lesson quickly learned as soon as you smear the student hands in fake Blood.
View Quote

Give this man a harrumph!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Grazie!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Especially considering that most of us are civilians, one needs to retain flexibility. Your trauma kit might be used on you OR someone else.

I use ATS medical inserts in 20 round 7.62N pouches on a couple of my rigs. I've wrapped the baggie with the booboo items in camoform tape to keep it secured and out of the way of everything else. Still allows quick access to those components that might be needed RIGHT NOW and having my med stuff in one pouch. One absolutely needs to drill with their kit. Know where every single piece is and how to get what is needed out quickly and efficiently.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#20]
For trauma stuff I just search eBay occasionally for the issue ones that are still in date. Bought this a week or two ago for $55 shipped. Exp 2025.   I thrown in a couple Israeli bandages and call it a day.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By pdm:
For trauma stuff I just search eBay occasionally for the issue ones that are still in date. Bought this a week or two ago for $55 shipped. Exp 2025.   I thrown in a couple Israeli bandages and call it a day.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/696/IFAK_jpg-3175333.JPG

View Quote

That's a smart way to go about it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#22]
That’s a good point. The celox or quik clot is really the only thing that “expires.”
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
That’s a good point. The celox or quik clot is really the only thing that “expires.”
View Quote

Heat will screw up the nasal trumpets too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Component list, in no particular order:

Primary stuff:

TQ (for extremities)
Hemostatic Gauze (for junctional wounds)
Chest Seals (for thoracic wounds)

Next is the secondary stuff:

Pressure Dressing
Tape (medical or duct tape)
Nitrile Gloves
Medical Shears

Next is extra, extra stuff:

Sharpie (marking TQ application, makeshift windlass, etc.)
Gauze sponges (to wipe away blood and see what you are working with, also for improvised pressure dressings)
Non hemostatic gauzes (packing and roller gauzes)
Space Blanket (for shock/hypothermia)
Nasopharyngeal airway (with lube)
Decompression needle (need to be trained or this is a civil lawsuit asking to happen in modern America)

After that, items should be part of a smaller and separate boo-boo kit or a larger EMT trauma pack, IMO.

I am not so caught up on particular brands/versions of items, but those are the classes of items you should have. Some items are simply better for low bulk, while others are better for price, etc. But the three core items, TQ/Hemostatic Gauze/Chest Seal, are the core of any capable kit. Could you use non hemostatic wound packing gauze? Sure but it will take 2-4 times as long to apply and get bleeding stopped. Could you use tape and plastic sheet to make a chest seal? Sure, but it will not be as easy or fast to apply, nor stick as well to bloody skin.

I built the vehicle IFAKs for all my police department vehicle glove boxes and mini IFAKs for officer worn use. Totally different items in each as far as brands etc.

I would suggest NOT putting gloves in your IFAK propper if they will be packed tight under compression. They will turn into a solid block over several months and you will spend a crap ton of time pulling them apart to be able to put on. I suggest NOT putting your TQ inside your mini IFAK mounted to your person if possible.

To restate how different components can be... our glove box IFAKs take up most of the glove box but have almost the same components as our mini IFAKs. Our mini IFAKs are the smallest and lightest possible with the feature list they have.

For example the on officer trauma kits consist of:

TQ is usually a CAT (the lightest of the reccomended TQ and what they have officers train with in ALERRT) loaded in a separate mount, usually on the front of the pistol holster.

Nitrile gloves of the correct size for the officer are in a separate belt pouch, cargo pants pocket, or admin pouch of vest/carrier. Having a thicker mil glove that is ALMOST too large makes putting them on fast without ripping MUCH easier.

Mini IFAK is an MBOK (smallest full fearured MOLLE IFAK you can get) about the size of my fist, usually mounted on top/front of weak side cummerbund of carrier with pull tab facing up,  containing all of the following inside:

1 Hemostatic gauze
2 Vented chest seals
1 Pressure dressing
2 Gauze sponges
1 pack medical tape
1 mini shears
1 mini  Sharpie

The whole kit above is the smallest and lightest you can possibly build with that component list and level of functionality. It is only 7oz for the whole pouch loaded with all components in it. There is still room to add a decompression needle, but just barely.

On the flip side, huge sacrifices had to be made to get a kit so small and light. The hemostatic gauze must be either a very short QuikClot 3" x4ft or the 1" wide Celox Ribbon. The chest seals are Hyfin vent and the only other chest seals that will fit is a Fox folded over. The pressure dressing has no pressure amplifier (no bar, dome, T, etc.) and the compression portion of the bandage is shorter than a traditional Israeli bandage to pack smaller. The gauze sponges are a single BandAid TRU-ABSORB, which is IMO a very overlooked component that makes the "scoop/wipe blood away" to see what you are working with many times easier. The medical tape is just a few individually backed strips of 3M medical tape vs a whole roll of medical tape or better yet, a flat pack of duct tape. The trauma shears are so silly tiny to fit inside the kit they only cut 1" at a time max. Far better to put a mid size 5" shear (cuts 3") through some MOLLE on your gear or use a full size 7" EMT shear (cuts 4.5") from the glove box, but WAY better than trying to cut away clothing with your pocket knife. The mini Sharpie is so small you will run out of ink  before you can finish writing a letter yet somehow costs more that a normal Sharpie, but it will write on anything and will be able to write years from now, provided you never remove the cap.

If you added a decompression needle, you could only fit an ARS 14g because everything else is too long or too fat for that kit. Even then you might have to go to a single chest seal to get it to close right.

A soft military airway simply would not fit in the kit and those 28F sized soft airways are only the equivalent of a Medium... you really need a smaller one for children (cutting only works so much and then it will be too wide) and a longer one might be needed for very large people... they also do not like being folded and compresed, so if you have one, don't be tempted to store it folded over jammed in an IFAK, they hold that shape after a few years. The soft airway is the most overrated piece of kit for the IFAK in our modern world. An ambulance will use their own airway and the soft NA blocks a decent amount of airflow through the nose. It is not needed IMO if the patient is conscious or rolled on their side 99.9% of the time.

A space blanket for shock is something that should only be in your kit if you will be VERY far from a vehicle mounted kit and medical response will be VERY delayed. It is not worth the bulk for a body mounted IFAK most of the time. This is something that I have in a backpack/wilderness kit or vehicle IFAK, but not on my armor/carrier simply due to bulk.

I would not reccomend the above mentioned mini kit for everyone as an on person kit. A slightly larger and heavier kit will have better components or could treat more than a single person. Anything larger than 6x5x2.5 is too big IMO.

I also have some personally owned belt mounted BFG micro trauma kits as well, bet they are slightly heavier, slightly larger, and slightly more expensive, yet somehow hold slightly less than the MBOK. Still, the BFG is probably the best option for a small of the back micro kit. But again, a slghtly larger kit will have probably have better/larger/more components for less money if you go that route.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top