Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2023 9:03:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
In grad school I did a designed experiment and using statistics proved that.....in pistol rds anyway....bullet seating depth is the number 1 factor in accuracy.  I used different primers, powder, didn't matter....the key factor was seating depth.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
And to add to your thought matrix....

Have you considered which data point to prioritize, ogive to shoulder datum or ogive to base of case?

In bottlenecks the former may be more important as the shoulder stops the case with the button ejector maintaining pressure.  (talking rifles and rifle cases with shoulders of course)
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In grad school I did a designed experiment and using statistics proved that.....in pistol rds anyway....bullet seating depth is the number 1 factor in accuracy.  I used different primers, powder, didn't matter....the key factor was seating depth.
View Quote

Pistol cartridges are more prone to pressure increases relative to seating depth so that may have more effect than with rifle cartridges.  I wouldn't give .004" a second thought unless perhaps I was shooting 1k bench rest.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Some guys think they see nodes based on 0.003" graduation (and I'm remembering/assuming <.001" variation). I think they're wasting components.

Would a prepped case with 0.219" ID make a decent 0.224" ogive comparator?
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How important is the consistent bullet seating depth in context to accuracy ?

IE, while not chasing the lands to ogive factor, but the consistent seated depth.

I measured some .223 / 5.56 loads using the Hornady comparator measuring off of the ogive.

The variance of most of the various loads was about .004 ( on average ) some extremes both to short or longer.

Would it help practical accuracy if I sorted those loads by the same ogive measured length ?

I realize bullet seating depth can alter group size by quite a bit, but does the seating variance matter ?

EDIT to add when using quality match grade bullets.

View Quote

I shoot for less than .0005" between short and long with most being dead on as far as rifle brass, but I use RCBS powered lathe using their 3 way cutter which is known for accuracy, I also measure and set everything from the case-head and never the shoulder, the shoulder when used is just stacking inaccuracy.....I also use Berger bullets for most loads, rarely use Hornaday bullets, because they are so inconsistent...All of my dies are the good sleeved comp dies that help hold the bullet and brass square while seating bullet...I normally use Redding bushing die for neck only, and shoulder die for shoulder only, I also use a mandrel die for final neck sizing..I like keeping every action alone because it makes it easier to concentrate  on one at a time for more consistency.. That covers sizing brass, as for bullet seating I use forester sleeved seating dies for seating...they do an excellent job of loading consistent reliable ammo...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top