Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2019 12:31:13 PM EDT
I'm down to my last 400 wolf magnum .223 primers, they've been fantastic.
Do you think the import ban will ever be lifted?

I know there's plenty of other options and I will now be moving on to my stash of S&B's from the glory days of Cabelas blow out sales.(sadly those days are over too)
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Wolf is the brand name for Sporting Supplies International based in the U.S. Wolf primers were made by the Murom plant in Russia. Don't know if they're sanctioned or not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I, for one, used to swear by them, but will probably never buy them again. Had about 3 k of them corrode in their boxes.  Couldn’t get any satisfaction from them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I only use Winchester primers.  Zero failures in 30 years of reloading.  Zero failures even when I know they've been sitting on a shelf for at least 10 years.

And zero corrosion issues.

They cost more...but it's worth it to me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Why is it that Wolf loaded ammo is cheap and plentiful but their primers are not ?

BTW, still sitting on a pile of Tula sp primers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I stacked them deep, but will still eventually run out...:(
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is it that Wolf loaded ammo is cheap and plentiful but their primers are not ?

BTW, still sitting on a pile of Tula sp primers.
View Quote
Lots of Wolf ammo is made in countries that aren't Russia. For example last I looked their primed brass and 55 FMJ Wolf Gold stuff is made in Taiwan, Wolf Match Target/Extra 22LR is made by Lapua in Germany.

Wolf is just the importer, so the country of manufacture is the showstopper for some products.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I use them in all my long range loads for low MV variation, I'm down to my last 2500 LR primers .
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I echo some of the other comments and like the Wolf/Tula branded .223 primers.  I don't see them being imported again, but hope I'm wrong.  In my limited testing, CCI 41 seems to be close.  I'm down to about 32,000 left.

On the other hand, the regular strength small rifle primers could be easily pierced at .223 type pressures and gave failures to ignite medium speed ball powders, so I used them up in .30 carbine.  I equate them to Reming 6 1/2's.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I am burning up my last case of Wolf.  CCI is what I will be using from here on out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Loved the Wolf and Tula.

The Fiocchi run great through my 1050's but I find them to be a bit on the weak side.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I stacked them deep, but will still eventually run out...:(
View Quote
I did too, 20,000 to be exact. Bought when the talk of a ban was circulating, figured 20k would carry me thru tiill it was lifted.

I planned poorly  
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Same boat on the Wolf primers, down to my last 1k, but have 10k in Tula, before I have to break into some S&B.

On the local supply front down to my last 1k of CCI small pistol primers and will be having to move into the S&B for those as well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I burned 3K of them last year, very good results with extruded powders, not so good with ball. Had a few failed ignition problems with TAC with some lots of the primers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They are great primers, I stacked deep on the SRM's.

But did run out of SP.

Also out of Tula Boxer primers.

Stacked deep on the Tula Berdan primer for 7.62x39.

Still have a few S&B's, but they won't last the year.

So far the Fiochhi SP that come in the 150 count box are doing fine in 9mm. Fired about 3k so far.

The very best primer for 223 IMHO is the Rem 7 1/2. It's what I use in precision loads.

eta, I'm not counting on the ban being lifted in the near future. No proof, just what I think. Hope I'm wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm down to my last 400 wolf magnum .223 primers, they've been fantastic.
Do you think the import ban will ever be lifted?

I know there's plenty of other options and I will now be moving on to my stash of S&B's from the glory days of Cabelas blow out sales.(sadly those days are over too)
They are great primers, I stacked deep on the SRM's.

But did run out of SP.

Also out of Tula Boxer primers.

Stacked deep on the Tula Berdan primer for 7.62x39.

Still have a few S&B's, but they won't last the year.

So far the Fiochhi SP that come in the 150 count box are doing fine in 9mm. Fired about 3k so far.

The very best primer for 223 IMHO is the Rem 7 1/2. It's what I use in precision loads.

eta, I'm not counting on the ban being lifted in the near future. No proof, just what I think. Hope I'm wrong.
I feel the same way.

In fact, I threw a bunch of Berdan brass in the scrap bucket the other day since I dot believe we will ever see Russian Berdan primers here again (brass was sort of corroded too).

I remember the old Norinco brand Chinese 223 ammo.  I believe .gov used the same method to ban it from import.  It's still banned, even after all these years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#17]
The non magnum Wolf SRP work great in my M1 Carbine, but not worth a shit in an AR.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Loaded thousands with Wolf with the 5.56 SR Mag primers and mil pulldown 844.  No problems with either.  $15.50 per 1k I was losing money by not buying them (should have bought more).  I don't think they will ever come back ??.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top