Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 10:19:56 AM EDT
Traded for this thing a few years ago.

Shot it maybe twice. I don't think I fired 100 rds. Guy I traded for it probably never shot it. Has a hell of a collection but he never shoots.

Anyway, I've searched GB and there's never an exact match. Also looked at FALfiles marketplace as mentioned  here but damn if I can find any actual complete rifles there. Maybe you need to be a member?

Hoping you FAL experts can tell me what she's worth. Getting ready to downsize and the safe queens gotta go. The only defects are from the bipod feet rubbing a little paint of the handguards.

TIA

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Numbers matching STG-58 kit? Steyr with VCL barrel?
That, with a Gear Logo Imbel receiver would bring a high premium price.
The right builder could affect value also.

So, it depends. Need more info.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Numbers matching STG-58 kit? Steyr with VCL barrel?
That, with a Gear Logo Imbel receiver would bring a high premium price.
The right builder could affect value also.

So, it depends. Need more info.
View Quote
Might as well speak Swahili to me.

How do I look for any of that?

Definitely can't tell who the builder was. I assumed it was a factory rifle.

Edit- ok, bolt/carrier, barrel and lower receiver all have matching #s. 37362

Upper only marked with PACXXXX

Barrel has tiny marks at base of barrel. I have no idea what they are.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If there is no VCL 140 mark on the barrel, it could still be a Steyr. Does the barrel have a serial number?
The barrel flat next to the receiver shown in the pics is not marked. Does the barrel flat on the other side have a triangle with a number in it?

A more versed FAL smith/collector will hopefully come along.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If there is no VCL 140 mark on the barrel, it could still be a Steyr. Does the barrel have a serial number?
The barrel flat next to the receiver shown in the pics is not marked. Does the barrel flat on the other side have a triangle with a number in it?

A more versed FAL smith/collector will hopefully come along.
View Quote
oops

barrel has serial  number matching rec/bolt/carrier

shot of opposite side of barrel flat

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Based on this, you have a matching numbers Steyr STG-58 kit rifle, which is a top tier metric version. The Imbel receiver is top tier also, made in Brazil on Herstal FAL licensed tooling. Forged, not cast.
Those kits were mostly torn down from pristine rifles which stayed in Austrian armories rather than being carried.
Purists may turn up their nose at the paint job, but it doesn't detract from the value much. The locking shoulder isn't peened over like some ham fisted home builders have done, so that's a good sign.
That rifle on the FAL Files would be priced at least $1400-$1500, which is a fair price IMO.

The last matching number STG kit I twisted up on a Coonan receiver and then later sold, went for $1150 $1050 in 2012. From what I've seen prices have not come down.

ETA: The hand guards are not original. The butt stock appears to be original. A lot of US made plastic hand guards have made there way onto FALs to meet 922r US made parts count. The originals were stamped steel. The STG had a couple fine features other countries didn't adopt- the folding bipod and the slotted Stoll muzzle brake, intended for wire cutting use.

There are hardly no complete rifles in the FAL Files marketplace anymore because the salad days of FAL building are long gone. Hence the premium prices when one is listed.

ETA: Checked some paperwork and found correct price of rifle sold in 2012.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
@powderfinger

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure thing.
I'm no expert, just a long time FAL builder and owner of several metric rifles through the years.
If I was in a position to, I'd snatch your rifle up. It's a fine example.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The sad thing is that it's worth more sold as a matching parts kit and a separate receiver than it is as an assembled rifle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The buttstock is a replacement, whether a Penguin humpback or other factory made one, StG-58's have a straight comb.

nice looking rifle on a great receiver!
View Quote
That's right.
I should have spotted that having bought several sets of Penguin furniture in my FAL building days.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The sad thing is that it's worth more sold as a matching parts kit and a separate receiver than it is as an assembled rifle.
View Quote
This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top